Mountaineer .45 1:20 twist barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never thought about it but that is right about the patched jag. I also see that there is a slight difference between my Bestill plug and yours. This is mine. I don't have a 45cal but do have a jag and it still does not enter the plug, still hits the end of the plug face. Not sure it your plug was before or after mine.

upload_2019-11-3_11-44-45.jpeg

Mine is for Extreme/Elite so more is machined off the powder side. They are the same plug. DE plugs are just shorter.
XDNTvIp.png

Found this at Sportmans and they ship free too. Really good saving on the new Extreme Conversion kit. Sure looks like new production in the pic. The older bolt bodies were chromed. New ones i think are made by Lehigh but im not 100% sure.
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...-jacket-muzzleloader-conversion-kit/p/1508879

Bare primer bolt conversion too CHEAP!!
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...parts/knight-mountaineer-209-conv-k/p/1508871

Personally i like the NFPJ adapter but at the range or just for fun the bare primer bolt body should be fine too. The adapter is just a little easier to load when hunting IMO. Knight sells a little bare primer loading tool and they are easy to make if you really like the bare primer bolt better.

Need a better scale but on my cheap digital bathroom scale
Barrel kit
Elite stock
Knight sling
=Just under 9lbs but i suspect its a little less than that.

Add a few more ounces for the base/rings and 18oz for the Diamndback HP so its not gunna be lightweight rig. Boyds FeatherWeight TH is 2.2lb to 2.7lbs so its not gunna save much either.

Last edited:
First while i was tinkering i used a CCI209 with just my bolt body. No Internals. The bolt body alone is pushing the CCI209 almost all the way in the plug and crushing it. So head space is good and tight. I will try my Rem 209s when i find them. So little is sticking out, the "nose" of the primer pocket or OAL will probably need to be shorter. I mean this primer is virtually ALL in the primer pocket.

Well i found 2 packs of Warnes SS Knight bases YAY!!!! Those bases come with SS screws too. AND they fit without any work to them. I tested one at a time to make sure they all snug down. These bases are too low though to go with the set of Warnes low rings i got. At least with a 42mm objective. Kinda knew that already sooooooooooooooooo.

Taddah!!!
:lewis::dance2::dance::2cool::woohoo:
I3aeAMc.jpg

UHYRpTM.jpg

RGMsH96.jpg

AwjY4zJ.jpg

First while i was tinkering i used a CCI209 with just my bolt body. No Internals. The bolt body alone is pushing the CCI209 almost all the way in the plug and crushing it. So head space is good and tight. I will try my Rem 209s when i find them. So little is sticking out, the "nose" of the primer pocket or OAL will probably need to be shorter. I mean this primer is virtually ALL in the primer pocket.

Well i found 2 packs of Warnes SS Knight bases YAY!!!! Those bases come with SS screws too. AND they fit without any work to them. I tested one at a time to make sure they all snug down. These bases are too low though to go with the set of Warnes low rings i got. At least with a 42mm objective. Kinda knew that already sooooooooooooooooo.

Taddah!!!
:lewis::dance2::dance::2cool::woohoo:
I3aeAMc.jpg

UHYRpTM.jpg

RGMsH96.jpg

AwjY4zJ.jpg
Do you bed your bases ??? Figured you may cuz i think you said it was gonna be a target rifle if i remember correctly . Eitber way its Sharp !!!

I checked it closely when snugging down each screw and i probably wont bed the base. I didnt bed any of my other Knights using Warnes bases and not had an issue. Main thing i wanted from this base was to use 5 screws and more flexible ring spacing than the Warnes bases. Those only have 1 slot each and you are SOL if you run out of room.

I checked it closely when snugging down each screw and i probably wont bed the base. I didnt bed any of my other Knights using Warnes bases and not had an issue. Main thing i wanted from this base was to use 5 screws and more flexible ring spacing than the Warnes bases. Those only have 1 slot each and you are SOL if you run out of room.
Yep tbis one is better

That base looks familiar.:2cool:

It was either this one, a $100+ Murphy or a new set of rings. Im not aware of any other 1 piece rails you can buy. Knight wont sell the one that comes with the 500 and i dont need the added MOA anyway. You cant buy this one either. Bestill was going to offer one but after he mentioned it once i never heard about it again.

It was either this one, a $100+ Murphy or a new set of rings. Im not aware of any other 1 piece rails you can buy. Knight wont sell the one that comes with the 500 and i dont need the added MOA anyway. You cant buy this one either. Bestill was going to offer one but after he mentioned it once i never heard about it again.
Well this one looks good . Beefy . What size screws was the reciever tapped for ?

This one.
Not long ago, Bestill was talking about having a 1 piece base made. I have a early prototype made by Lehigh. I think it would be great if it was just a tiny bit longer in front. Its rather tall so to keep the scope low it would need low rings.
QfR0Ns6.jpg

MdkKijX.jpg

Yeah, thats the one. Neither Lehigh or Bestill has offered one yet. I had this one for ages. I would actually be happy with a front base that had 2 slots and a rear base with 3 slots and 3 screws. My Savage rear base has 2 slots.

Yeah, thats the one. Neither Lehigh or Bestill has offered one yet. I had this one for ages. I would actually be happy with a front base that had 2 slots and a rear base with 3 slots and 3 screws. My Savage rear base has 2 slots.
One thing is for su
Sure isnt a light one for hunting is it !!! Actually i avoid the aluminum stuff like a plague though . No luck there for me.

I got a set of Talley light weights that have handled some brutal loads in a 7lb rifle BUT they are only holding a 11.1oz scope too. Talley are what NULA puts on their rifles. I normally avoid aluminum bases like the plague but i aint got $125 for a Murphy 1 piece SS rail. That $125 is heading towards a adjustable die i keep putting off.

I got a set of Talley light weights that have handled some brutal loads in a 7lb rifle BUT they are only holding a 11.1oz scope too. Talley are what NULA puts on their rifles. I normally avoid aluminum bases like the plague but i aint got $125 for a Murphy 1 piece SS rail. That $125 is heading towards a adjustable die i keep putting off.
I think that is a trade id make all day long . Ditto on the bases but the rings are nice ones . Besides they are lows so stronger . The die will work for MANY .toys....good trade !!!

All the MKs (85 and 95's) and my UL had 6 x 48 screws. So looks like that dropped right into the Elite stock, or is that a different one? Looking good!

The screws are whatever came with the Warnes bases. Need to double check my base before loctiting it down. Still need to make sure screw surface is flat and not beveled but it looked just like the Warnes. I was a little excited i found 2 packs of brand new bases in my stash of stuff. Now if i could just find my other set of new Warnes rings. :D

Yes that is a old beater Elite stock. I bought the rifle for the parts ages ago. The forearm is actually longer than the Extreme TH stock. I can only slip a dollar bill down the barrel about 6" or so before its hitting the stock so its not floating like an Elite contour would. Cant find my other TH stock atm that was inlet for the lug.

Oh and i did check another thing. That base is picatinny spacing. I tried a Burris EPR mount that will only fit true picatinny and it goes right on it.

Back