mouse farts got chrono'd

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anonymouscowherd

Reaction score
Finally got to run a few strings of my TiteGroup powered mousefarts over a chrono.

Red Army brass
Winchester Magnum LRP
Hornady 85gr .312" XTP
Bullets seated to cannelure

Launched by a Howa Mini w/ 2moa chinesium red dot sight

All powder measured by hand using a trickler. Cheap digital scale though, fwiw

3.5gr TiteGroup - 5 shot string gave 755, 922, 869, 880, 845 for an average of 854.20 and a big StdDev of 62.06

Bumping the powder charge to 4.0 gr and all else same-same got much more consistent results and were perfect if one were considering running these through a can (I don't have the $ to play in can-land)

5 shot string gave velocities of 1011, 1004, 1013, 946 and 1055 for average of 1005.80 and a StdDev of 38.98

Wasn't really testing for accuracy (was focused more on not shooting my buddy's chrono) but in both cases was good for my purpose - turkeys at point-blank to 50 or maybe 75 yards - with the 5 shot groups going into 3/4" at 20 or so yards

Next plan is to load up 40 or 50 more of 'em and start checking accuracy and ballistics. Turkey season opens March 18.

Finally got to run a few strings of my TiteGroup powered mousefarts over a chrono.

Red Army brass
Winchester Magnum LRP
Hornady 85gr .312" XTP
Bullets seated to cannelure

Launched by a Howa Mini w/ 2moa chinesium red dot sight

All powder measured by hand using a trickler. Cheap digital scale though, fwiw

3.5gr TiteGroup - 5 shot string gave 755, 922, 869, 880, 845 for an average of 854.20 and a big StdDev of 62.06

Bumping the powder charge to 4.0 gr and all else same-same got much more consistent results and were perfect if one were considering running these through a can (I don't have the $ to play in can-land)

5 shot string gave velocities of 1011, 1004, 1013, 946 and 1055 for average of 1005.80 and a StdDev of 38.98

Wasn't really testing for accuracy (was focused more on not shooting my buddy's chrono) but in both cases was good for my purpose - turkeys at point-blank to 50 or maybe 75 yards - with the 5 shot groups going into 3/4" at 20 or so yards

Next plan is to load up 40 or 50 more of 'em and start checking accuracy and ballistics. Turkey season opens March 18.
I thought a nice pic of you doing the testing would be in order here.
Really nice afternoon at my range with you.

Attachments

• 0D387F30-5E65-44BB-B209-31844D91C7AE.jpeg
    0D387F30-5E65-44BB-B209-31844D91C7AE.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 7
3/4"@50 yds is pretty sweet for light loads. What I'd give to be able to hunt turkey here with a rifle.

Ninering.....that range looks like dreamland. Absolutely love the nice lane with shade and wind buffering along the sides. I can shoot to 300 but the last 50 yards is slightly uphill and the whole range is wide open and wind-prone.

Last edited:
Awesome shooting range! It's a wonder that you'd ever leave that seat.
Thanks Hausser, I've lived in numerous places where shooting out of the door or window were normal, but this is the first place where there been 450yds fence to fence that I finally get to use a small piece ( 15yds wide x 450yds long ) for a shooting range. I do not spend nearly enough time at that bench. Last yr Decay & his brother came here & helped me build that bench & sink it 3'deep in concrete. Its nice to have AC come up to shoot & hunt with me. We're planning to turn the whole shooting range into a food plot this spring.

OK pardon me for being confused. What the heck is a mouse fart? I realize its a light load but what cartridge?
We were able to hunt turkey in the fall with a rifle here in PA but the law recently changed to shotgun only....bummer. I took several with a 17HMR with 20 gr VMax bullets
7.62x39 loaded down to around 1000fps.

Ive been surrounded by turkeys so many times while deer hunting i could have killed dozens with my .17hmr or just my .22lr subsonic rounds too.

OK pardon me for being confused. What the heck is a mouse fart? I realize its a light load but what cartridge?
We were able to hunt turkey in the fall with a rifle here in PA but the law recently changed to shotgun only....bummer. I took several with a 17HMR with 20 gr VMax bullets
Not to hijack the thread, but do you know the rationale for shotguns only?

Not to hijack the thread, but do you know the rationale for shotguns only?
I do not see any rationale in a " shotgun only " restriction. Using any form of front stuffer, I dang sure do not see any reason to put any restrictions on " what kind of front stuffer " one can use at all. I'm going to use my ROA BP revolver to turkey hunt this spring & thankfully, I'm in a state that doesn't have a problem with that.

I would try going up in charge weight to see if it tighten up any more and dropped the SD. That's just me though.🙂 it looked like it was headed in the right direction as for the SD.

I would try going up in charge weight to see if it tighten up any more and dropped the SD. That's just me though.🙂 it looked like it was headed in the right direction as for the SD.
I agree, but I need to keep the velocity down somewhat - If I end up with a longer shot at a turkey and go for a body shot instead of head/neck, I want something to be left of the bird...

Back