Mouse farts ...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anonymouscowherd

Reaction score
Have a Howa Mini in 762x39, sweetest little bolt gun, perfectly sized for the round, it is awesome. Have a 2moa dot on it to keep it light and slim, it is my ultimate "Florida deer and pig gun". Has a .311 bore.... as is normal.

Anyway, I noticed that Hornady makes their XTP in .312" diameter, 85 or 100 grains. I got a crazy idea, obtained a box of the 85 grainers, and loaded up some mouse farts.

3.5 grains TiteGroup, the XTP loaded to the cannelure, no case filler materials, etc. Not much louder than a standard velocity 22lr and quite accurate. Need to run 'em over a chronograph but assuming I'm at around 1000fps it looks like I have my spring Turkey medicine ready to go :) Group is at 25 yards, need to load up 20 or so more and check group and drop at 50 yards and maybe even 100. No can, so staying subsonic isn't critical to me so I may load up 10 with 4gr and 10 with 4.5gr of powder...

x39-85xtp.jpg

Have a Howa Mini in 762x39, sweetest little bolt gun, perfectly sized for the round, it is awesome. Have a 2moa dot on it to keep it light and slim, it is my ultimate "Florida deer and pig gun". Has a .311 bore.... as is normal.

Anyway, I noticed that Hornady makes their XTP in .312" diameter, 85 or 100 grains. I got a crazy idea, obtained a box of the 85 grainers, and loaded up some mouse farts.

3.5 grains TiteGroup, the XTP loaded to the cannelure, no case filler materials, etc. Not much louder than a standard velocity 22lr and quite accurate. Need to run 'em over a chronograph but assuming I'm at around 1000fps it looks like I have my spring Turkey medicine ready to go :) Group is at 25 yards, need to load up 20 or so more and check group and drop at 50 yards and maybe even 100. No can, so staying subsonic isn't critical to me so I may load up 10 with 4gr and 10 with 4.5gr of powder...

x39-85xtp.jpg
That Mini Howa really is a dream to handle & shoot. Nice group with the lil 85gr pills.

Latest posts

Back