Moving to a Crossbow?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew323

Reaction score
I would like to resume bow hunting sometime soon.

I haven't shot a bow since I sold off all my weapons back in 1994. At that time I was shooting an old Bear recurve bow. I can't recall the model. The bow was quite used when I got it from a friend, and the logos were completely worn off. Perhaps deliberately removed?

It had a 45# pull, and if I recall correctly, was 56" long? Been a long time since I have even thought about that bow.

With one severed rotator cuff tendon, and two partially torn rotator cuff tendons in my right shoulder, coupled with decent osteoarthritis, I am leery of trying to pull back even a 30# bow at the present time.

My question to those members here that hunt with a crossbow is for advice, and recommendations.

Thanks

Lots of crossbows to choose from on the market recurve, compound and even pneumatic. Just know that the string used to pullback a recurve crossbow after putting your foot in the stirrup will only cut the draw weight back 50%, varies with compound crossbows I think. If I were you, I'd look into one that can use a winch, they are slow and some are noisy but it would possibly save your shoulder unless cranking a fishing reel aggravates it too.

As mentioned above, there are many crossbows out there to choose from. My advice is to try to handle a few different models.
Some places like Cabela's will actually let you shoot one. Prices range from a few hundred dollars to well over 2k.
Generally speaking, you'd want a crossbow that "fits" and feels comfortable.

Crossbow has been an eye-opener for me after cutting all tendons and nerves in my right hand. Wicked Ridge crossbow w/scope and winch - not terribly expensive, well-made, and will put bolts in the bottom of a paper coffee cup at 30 yards.

Winch allows cocking while in a tree stand. Get a winch if you're not in good shape.
Scope was "spot on" when I bought it. Bolts are expensive. Save one to "uncock" by firing it. Dry-firing a crossbow will wreck it - sooner or later. Mine's accurate.

Crossbow has been an eye-opener for me after cutting all tendons and nerves in my right hand. Wicked Ridge crossbow w/scope and winch - not terribly expensive, well-made, and will put bolts in the bottom of a paper coffee cup at 30 yards.

Winch allows cocking while in a tree stand. Get a winch if you're not in good shape.
Scope was "spot on" when I bought it. Bolts are expensive. Save one to "uncock" by firing it. Dry-firing a crossbow will wreck it - sooner or later. Mine's accurate.
I bought a reusable decocking bolt. But I really like that decocker that Encore50 posted.

A lot of states would frown on that , neighbor bout a Raven and cant hunt with it in NY cause limbs are to narrow . NY probably could come up with a reason for not using an assault' bow (you know)/Ed
I think they have some other silly rules about the poundage of a crossbow. Can't be over a 200 pound pull or something like that.

I have an Excalibur Ibex crossbow. Killed one small buck with it. I find crossbows to be cumbersome to carry, but nice to shoot when its too hot to get to the range an I want some trigger time in the backyard. Since I have been getting kill permits for crop damage, last couple summers, I kinda let the crossbow sit.
If it ever cools off, so the bugs aren't bad, this weather is still too hot to be comfortable for me in the early daytime hours.

Thanks for all of the posts, and your personal experiences regarding the crossbow. I looked online, and there are an overwhelming number of choices that can be made

Based on my personal ideology to try and, "Keep it simple, Bruce!!!", I am leaning towards a crossbow that is equipped with recurve limbs; that has as standard equipment, or that can be added as an accessory, a winch; and that can be easily decocked.

This has me leaning towards the Excalibur brand. Are there any other brands that I should be looking at?

I know from my experience with that old Bear recurve bow, that I prefer a heavier arrow moving slower for its greater penetration, as opposed to the trend towards super lightweight arrows traveling as fast as possible.

Can I assume, there's that dangerous word, that heavy & slow bolts in a crossbow, will perform much like those old arrows did?

Carbon Express and Barnett both have a recurve model. Both rated at 250 fps. with a 175 pound draw weight. Fairly inexpensive but turtle slow in today's crossbow world. I guess either one could take a deer but at very close range, probably under 30 yards.
I shoot Easton XX75, 2219 aluminum arrows off my crossbows. I don't need a high speed cutter to trim them down to the 17 inch length I use. Cut them with a hacksaw.
I use a 125 grain broadhead which brings my total arrow weight to about 420 ish grains.
The bow is actually pretty easy to cock with a rope cocker.

While heavier and slower arrows are fine in a recurve, the mechanics of a crossbow are much different, especially when it comes to bolt strength. You should not use cut down 2219 arrows for bolts, or any other arrow for that matter. The extremely high draw weight of modern crossbows can cause aluminum arrow shafts to fail upon release and literally buckle them with possible equipment damage and personal injury. Always use bolts rated for the higher draw weight of a crossbow, the lower end being around 150lbs

I’m an Excalibur Micro fan, and have the takedown version. For simple - you can’t beat Excalibur for being able to work / repair your Xbow.

I see several posts here and on other forums about using bolts that aren’t factory, or at least weight matched to the xbow.

each xbow is designed to shoot a bolt of a minimum weight - anything lighter is transferring the additional force to the limbs and hardware, and running up the risk of damage or failure - especially in the limbs.

whatever you choose - use a bolt that is specific for the xbow you are shooting. same with the broadheads - dropping 25 or 50 grains may get you some speed, but you’re going to pay for it sooner or later.

Thanks for all of the posts, and your personal experiences regarding the crossbow. I looked online, and there are an overwhelming number of choices that can be made

Based on my personal ideology to try and, "Keep it simple, Bruce!!!", I am leaning towards a crossbow that is equipped with recurve limbs; that has as standard equipment, or that can be added as an accessory, a winch; and that can be easily decocked.

This has me leaning towards the Excalibur brand. Are there any other brands that I should be looking at?

I know from my experience with that old Bear recurve bow, that I prefer a heavier arrow moving slower for its greater penetration, as opposed to the trend towards super lightweight arrows traveling as fast as possible.

Can I assume, there's that dangerous word, that heavy & slow bolts in a crossbow, will perform much like those old arrows did?
You nailed it in 2006 I gave in and got a X bow several back surgeries bad shoulder the Excalibur is perfect anyone can change the string no cables or any tuning simple and effective

Latest posts

Back