Mt.Lion hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Season starts Dec. 26th . A ways off yet but I decided to start getting ready early.
no more sleeping on the cold hard ground . It is getting to be to much for my old bones I decided after the Idaho bear hunt. So my new abode for this winters hunting ventures.
Plenty of room for everything I need . Coupled with my newest Foxpro caller, the Shockwave , I am a happy camper and ready for December 26th. To get here 😁😁

6AD91FFA-0454-4F34-80CD-07553EED53C9.jpeg38F845D6-C7CC-4623-B481-626F12E8027B.jpeg30DD8444-0820-4809-8768-3FC63BD08129.jpeg

Be careful with the heater while you sleep. Years ago there were two guys that wanted to get the jump on deer season. They slept in the blind and weren't heard from all day. When someone went out to check on them they were dead. Died 1/2 mile from my house. The heater didnt function as promised and it cost them their life. Ive camped out at temperatures as low as 6 degrees. A good sleeping bag to start and a very heavy or warm blanket on the cot under you. You have time to make or buy a very small wood stove and vent the canvas. Something the size of a shoe box on a couple of bricks would be take the edge off big time.

Looks pretty spiffy to me. I would not be brave enough to sleep with the little buddy running. An old single mantle coleman lantern would heat that well enough in the mornings and evenings for meals, getting dressed etc. I would not sleep with it burning either. You would get less moisture out of the lantern. Even a propane lantern would heat it.

You can buy a multi-head monitor to alarm of oxygen deficiency or carbon monoxide. Not cheap but option is there.
personally a portable generator, ext cord and electric heater would be my way of going.

Key Features
  • 2mm galvanized steel fire box with high-temp finish
  • Cast iron door with adjustable vent
  • Five interlocking stove pipes connect to form 6.45'h. chimney
  • Cool-touch coiled handle
  • Adjustable damper
  • 10x8"h. door opening
  • 11"w. x 17"d. x 8"h. firebox
  • 12.5"w. x 19"d. x 7.75'h. overall
1654218689151.png

I won't be sleeping witha heater on . My sleeping bag is plenty good . But it will be nice to have it warm when I go to bed or when I get up and fix coffee Or just want to warm up . the pics below show how I have done my winter camping and hunting all my life , but at 66 I am starting to feel it more and think this setup will be kinda nice for a change . Plus I think the cot will be a great replacement for the hard ground. Maybe I am just getting soft 😁E1DEDE11-A4C5-4D2B-AA4E-7C8A1D9AE2E6.jpeg

You are tougher than me. I still sleep on the ground, in fact when I was building the house I slept on the floor for 3 years, but I gotta have heat. Since my hunting buddies have passed on, I use a smaller wall tent, but unless it is mid-summer I am packing a wood stove.
A few years ago, two guys that I had about 30 years on wanted me to take them into the spot where I used to hunt mule deer. They laughed at my taking the wall tent and stove, but when the weather turned ugly they were bellied right up to the stove.

Last edited:
A cot with a good inflatable pad on top is a total game changer! It let's me sleep as well as in my bed at home. Plus, you get the huge benefit of badly needed storage space underneath. Just buy some proper fitting totes and slide them in.

Season starts Dec. 26th . A ways off yet but I decided to start getting ready early.
no more sleeping on the cold hard ground . It is getting to be to much for my old bones I decided after the Idaho bear hunt. So my new abode for this winters hunting ventures.
Plenty of room for everything I need . Coupled with my newest Foxpro caller, the Shockwave , I am a happy camper and ready for December 26th. To get here 😁😁

View attachment 21557View attachment 21555View attachment 21556
I added a piece of plywood and some indoor/outdoor carpet.
A bit of insulation as well as a nice flat floor under your cot. Carpet can be rolled up as needed.
Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
I added a piece of plywood and some indoor/outdoor carpet.
A bit of insulation as well as a nice flat floor. Carpet can be rolled up as needed.
Best of luck to you.
A cot with a good inflatable pad on top is a total game changer! It let's me sleep as well as in my bed at home. Plus, you get the huge benefit of badly needed storage space underneath. Just buy some proper fitting totes and slide them in.
:)

View attachment 21557View attachment 21555View attachment 21556
Nice set up. 👍

Latest posts

Back