Mule deer guide/outfitter recommendation?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMS2691

Reaction score
My youngest son is interested in doing a mule deer hunt this fall if we can pull it all together. Looking at North or South Dakota. Anyone have any guides/outfitters they would recommend? I think my son is out for a trophy, I would be more interested on the adventure and if I can get any deer that would be fine with me. Mainly looking for a good reputation, quality/ethical individual who can tailor to our type of hunt.

Thanks for the input.

Not sure about Dakota tags and outfitters but you might wanna check New Mexico's outfitters. I been putting in for public land hunts for a couple years but there outfitters get most of the tags. My buddy does well occasionally.thumbnail_Picture0828182022_1.jpgthumbnail_Resized_I.jpg

North Dakota has a very limited amount of tags, very few for residents even. Its easier to get a non-resident archery tag for the badlands.
If you do pick an outfitter, make sure you ask them for references, especially the unsuccessful hunters phone numbers.

I got burned big time from a Cabelas endorsed outfitter in Alberta for whitetail deer. There were 8 guys in deer camp for the last week of
Alberta's rifle season and nobody killed a deer. Some of those Canadian guides ask you how much you are willing to pay for a 150 class deer or bigger.
I will never hunt Canada again. Baiting is illegal in Alberta, but Saskatchewan allows baiting. I'm not fond of baited hunts. Canada has some big mule deer, but COVID will keep Americans out for awhile.

Not sure about Dakota tags and outfitters but you might wanna check New Mexico's outfitters. I been putting in for public land hunts for a couple years but there outfitters get most of the tags. My buddy does well occasionally.View attachment 13286View attachment 13287
I lived in New Mexico for a while and was very disappointed on their hunting opportunities. Residents need to enter a lottery every year and pray that you can draw a deer tag. A lot of residents usually just go to Colorado each year for a deer hunt.

Ya there lottery sucks. But if a persons gonna hook up with an outfitter , it may be the way to go. It seems like they have the preference. Those big desert mulies are awesome. I prefer do it yourself hunts for me.

Ya there lottery sucks. But if a persons gonna hook up with an outfitter , it may be the way to go. It seems like they have the preference. Those big desert mulies are awesome. I prefer do it yourself hunts for me.

I'm with MSalyards. Do the work and roll your own hunt. Outfitters and the outfitting business just don't sit too well with me, for a variety of reasons. I would personally rather not hunt, than pay a guide to hunt for me. But, just my opinion...

Not that i'm trying to bring more hunters here but this is the truth. This is written by the Meateater.

Colorado
Colorado is widely regarded as the nation’s top mule deer destination. Due to extremely good mule deer habitat with plenty of food and sound management practices by Colorado Parks and Wildlife, the state has the largest mule deer population in the country. More big bucks are killed here every year than in any other state. Mule deer tags are only available through a limited draw here; you have to apply for a unit-specific tag for either archery or rifle seasons. The good news is there is an abundance of units where tags are easy to draw. There is no need to spend years applying for well known “trophy units” since you can find good bucks just about everywhere in the state. Public lands are abundant in the western half of the state but very limited in eastern Colorado, although some of the biggest bucks are shot out on the eastern plains.

Archery season runs from late August until late September. During this time, mule deer in the Rockies are found at high elevations, often above treeline. Rifle seasons in the mountains take place in late October and the first half of November. Depending on weather and timing, mule deer are widely distributed anywhere from high country summer range down to low elevation wintering grounds. On the eastern plains, some rifle seasons run into December. I may be biased, but if I could only hunt one state for the rest of my life for mule deer, it would be Colorado.

Not that i'm trying to bring more hunters here but this is the truth. This is written by the Meateater.

Colorado
Colorado is widely regarded as the nation’s top mule deer destination. Due to extremely good mule deer habitat with plenty of food and sound management practices by Colorado Parks and Wildlife, the state has the largest mule deer population in the country. More big bucks are killed here every year than in any other state. Mule deer tags are only available through a limited draw here; you have to apply for a unit-specific tag for either archery or rifle seasons. The good news is there is an abundance of units where tags are easy to draw. There is no need to spend years applying for well known “trophy units” since you can find good bucks just about everywhere in the state. Public lands are abundant in the western half of the state but very limited in eastern Colorado, although some of the biggest bucks are shot out on the eastern plains.

Archery season runs from late August until late September. During this time, mule deer in the Rockies are found at high elevations, often above treeline. Rifle seasons in the mountains take place in late October and the first half of November. Depending on weather and timing, mule deer are widely distributed anywhere from high country summer range down to low elevation wintering grounds. On the eastern plains, some rifle seasons run into December. I may be biased, but if I could only hunt one state for the rest of my life for mule deer, it would be Colorado.

I looked a fair bit into many states as I really want to hunt a muley buck one day. Colorado is really good as a resident but for NR point creep in good units makes it hardly worthwhile.

I'm building points in WY now, edged out Montana for me. Always figured I'd apply for ID tags too if I ever have a year where I can afford to do something different.

Edit: sorry I've dragged this off topic, forgot the fella was looking for guided hunts. I'm not jelp there sorry.

Last edited:
Don't get hung up on good units. A good buck can be anywhere. Even units that can be had with no points.

My brother and I are planning a mule deer hunt in Nebraska next Nov.They have a 9 day rifle season but if you go muzzleloading their season runs the 1st of Dec.til the 31st of Dec.We have our units picked and the cost of a tag I beleive is $265.00.If you hunt the whole state it is over $600.00

I have never paid a guide. I have done a lot of hunting out west. Do your research, study maps, sleep where you hunt, Hunt as hard as you can as long as you can. If you get an animal its that much more meaningful. If not you did your best and be satisfied with that. Next year.

I say sleep where you hunt because it saves a lot of time you can put into hunting or resting. Driving back and forth to your hunt area, going out for food, TV. bars, all kinds of distractions. We buy food for the week, set up tents, cook over the fire, warm water for bathing over the fire, and relax and enjoy.

Muley Hunter got it right---Colorado. Just the best there is, and no years and years of tag lottery games.
Try Triple O Outfitters, Hamilton Colorado. Larry and Reta Osborn are the best on the planet. I did 3 drop camp elk hunts with them and scored 2 nice bulls. I saw incredible mule deer bucks. This was a while back but I'm sure they will remember me. Tell them Craig from Washington steered you their way.

Muley Hunter got it right---Colorado. Just the best there is, and no years and years of tag lottery games.
Try Triple O Outfitters, Hamilton Colorado. Larry and Reta Osborn are the best on the planet. I did 3 drop camp elk hunts with them and scored 2 nice bulls. I saw incredible mule deer bucks. This was a while back but I'm sure they will remember me. Tell them Craig from Washington steered you their way.

Don't spose you care to share some pics? I do love to see good animals on the ground.

Might be able to do better than that Bush. I wrote a magazine article in "HUNT" (which went under later) on my first trip there. It was a long time ago but I'll dig around the cave and see if I can find a copy. When it was published I loaned the copies I had purchased out to friends and aquaintances and they got loaned out from there and pretty soon they got hard to find.

Latest posts

Back