Mule deer guide/outfitter recommendation?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robby hunts a lot in Colorado. I've talked to him quite a bit. Look at where he got a lot of the bucks in your link.

Robby hunts a lot in Colorado. I've talked to him quite a bit. Look at where he got a lot of the bucks in your link.

I don’t know much about him? To kill as many as he has, He definitely knows how to Hunt & Find BIG Mule Deer Bucks. He probably hunts several States?

This was a South East Idaho Buck, A Guy my Dad was hunting with had a Deer Tag and Killed it, This was over 20 Years ago, probably 25 Years ago now. The owner of this Buck is Dead now
UxBTxc5.jpg

I have seen a couple bucks in that class in the Owyhee desert in Idaho. We jeeped down to the river bottom one time on a rock shelf road that was barely wide enough to get the jeep down. There was a cabin that looked like somebody walked out of it leaving everything around the time Custer made a slight underestimation.
Anyway, we killed one big buck and saw several Barely made it out of the bottom with a broken spring shackle
We got checked by a wildlife officer on the way out who was checking for pot harvesters. He was later murdered by a trapper along with his partner, by a trapper who eluded police for a long time, being hidden by friends.

I don’t know much about him? To kill as many as he has, He definitely knows how to Hunt & Find BIG Mule Deer Bucks. He probably hunts several States?

This was a South East Idaho Buck, A Guy my Dad was hunting with had a Deer Tag and Killed it, This was over 20 Years ago, probably 25 Years ago now. The owner of this Buck is Dead now
UxBTxc5.jpg

Zero expectations of something like that but seeing pics like this get me awfully keen to use my mule deer points I'm building. Big muleys just do it for me!

My biggest Mule Deer buck came from Wyoming. A guy that used to be famous told me about the spot. Can anyone guess who it was.....clue: He later went to jail for poaching, and he wrote at least one book I believe.🎱

Lewis........ Robby loves hunting for big bucks. He even wrote a book on it.

He’s definitely good at it :lewis: It’s like anything else, if it’s something you Love & it Becomes a Passion, You can get REALLY good at it.

I was like that with Salmon/Steelhead Fishing, I was born & raised on the Wa Coast, 4 Different Major Rivers within a Few minutes Of me. I cut my Teeth Fishing those Rivers, I owned a 16 Ft Willies Guide Model Drift Boat (I fished more from the Bank though) I knew exactly where the Fish would be, And what to do to Catch them, I caught LOTS of Fish right behind other Guy’s, and Boats that had JUST Fished the Hole. They could look back and Watch me Fight a Fish where they had just got done fishing :) That was a Common occurrence.

Hunting is no Different, If you hunt a Species enough & it’s a Passion of yours, you learn that Creature inside & Out, You learn to think like they do, Then out think them.

My biggest Mule Deer buck came from Wyoming. A guy that used to be famous told me about the spot. Can anyone guess who it was.....clue: He later went to jail for poaching, and he wrote at least one book I believe.🎱

In the world of fame hunters I don't think that narrows it down as much as it should.

Kirt Darner. He gave a seminar in Seattle back in the day. I was young and nuts over Mule Deer, not the highest mountain was going to get in the way. So anyway, I had read some of his writing and was kind of in awe. After the seminar he had a deal where you could actually get a "treasure map" for a paltry sum. I bit on it and it turned out well. It is on public ground but you want to be part mountain goat to do it. I took my son back there on a second hunt when hew was on leave from the Air Force.
We were from Western Washington, but when he got married he moved to within a few miles of that place. He is now a guide and outfitter near Jackson, during hunting season.
It was a sad day for me when I found out that Kirt should not have been respected as a hunter in light of how some of his trophies were taken.
And Idaho Lewis, what rivers? I fished the Toutle (till the mountain blew up) and Cowlitz, Lyre, Etc.

Here is a pic of that Wyoming mountain buck and also, earlier in this thread I was asked for a pic of my first Colorado drop camp elk with TripleIMG_2361.jpgIMG_2362.jpg O Outfitters.

My one concern for anyone hunting in Colorado or almost anywhere these days is
Chronic Wasting Disease. It’s worth checking state wildlife websites for CWD maps.
Trophy or not, if I’m not comfortable consuming my kill, it takes a lot of the fun out of it.

That said, best hunting in eastern Colorado is often in landlocked public lands
surrounded by private land and or very difficult public access. The onX mapping
app can be very helpful. I believe there is a thread here about it.

Chronic Wasting Disease. It’s worth checking state wildlife websites for CWD maps.
Trophy or not, if I’m not comfortable consuming my kill, it takes a lot of the fun out of it.

I agree. I'm lucky that there's no CWD in the units I hunt. I wouldn't eat the meat if there was. No matter how much they tell me it won't harm me.

Initials wouldn't be JZ by chance, would they?

My brother and I are planning a mule deer hunt in Nebraska next Nov.They have a 9 day rifle season but if you go muzzleloading their season runs the 1st of Dec.til the 31st of Dec.We have our units picked and the cost of a tag I beleive is $265.00.If you hunt the whole state it is over $600.00
I've been thinking about Nebraska myself. Would like to do at least one Mule Deer hunt while I still can

I remember ol' Kirt. I think I remember it turned out he got accused of, and maybe pinched for being a big-time scofflaw. Had his pics all over outdoor periodicals holding 40-inchers in the day.

My youngest son is interested in doing a mule deer hunt this fall if we can pull it all together. Looking at North or South Dakota. Anyone have any guides/outfitters they would recommend? I think my son is out for a trophy, I would be more interested on the adventure and if I can get any deer that would be fine with me. Mainly looking for a good reputation, quality/ethical individual who can tailor to our type of hunt.

Thanks for the input.
Yes that was the guy. But he did know where the good deer lived. He just didn't care too much about seasons, licenses, time of daiy/night.
BM52691 If you want, send me a PM and I will share the information you on where this place is.

In Wyoming and Utah they are testing for CWD at certain places where you drop your game off to be processed. I don’t know what has been in Utah umbers yet. CWD has been discovered in elk and deer in Wyoming. The Wyoming fish and game have a good mapping system on their website showing areas where CWD has been found and documented listing numbers and percentages by many different options.

Latest posts

Back