Mushroom picking

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Spent a couple hours this morning in the woods looking for mushrooms, lots of chanterelles at the moment. We’ve had a good bit of rain so the next couple weeks should be good. I’d like to get a good bunch of black trumpets since they dry real well. Chanterelles keep well in the freezer if you sauté them in butter first.
317AED27-10B8-423D-A921-8E20D148B321.jpeg695A6AFD-4B71-4046-B890-881D0D93D627.jpeg99C9AF5B-2989-459F-904C-E26FD99B1B7E.jpeg

You either go with someone who knows and can teach you or you get your hands on some field guides and learn on your own. There’s no reason to be fearful, some mushrooms are very easy to identify. In my area, morels. chanterelles, black trumpets, lobsters, hen of the woods, chicken of the woods, are all pretty easy to learn. Choose one, learn about it and go out and find it and then slowly expand what you know.

Spent a couple hours this morning in the woods looking for mushrooms, lots of chanterelles at the moment. We’ve had a good bit of rain so the next couple weeks should be good. I’d like to get a good bunch of black trumpets since they dry real well. Chanterelles keep well in the freezer if you sauté them in butter first.
View attachment 15354View attachment 15355View attachment 15356
WOW! WOW!! WOW!!! WOW!!!!

I've never seen that many chanterelles in one place before, not even in the kitchens that I cooked in.

You are LUCKY!!!!!!

I used to pick them around my cabin in Washington state. 15-20 was a big haul.

How do you guys know what wild mushrooms are not poisonous?
There are guides designed for beginners, some mushrooms are much easier to identify than others so that’s what you start with. I really only know a small number of them but it’s enough to keep me active from May to November. I walk past all sorts of mushrooms that I don’t know.
There are also mushroom/foraging groups on FaceBook, look for one that concentrates on your area, they often have group walks that you can tag along on.

Last edited:
There was a show on History Channel, I think? Only a brief run about people picking mushrooms. They were making some good money selling the particular ones they were hunting for. Pretty interesting.

Latest posts

Back