Musket cap and blackhorn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In all my muskets, all shot with real black powder, in no case, does bp residue get under the barrel and into the tang/lock areas. There is only cap residue outside the barrel. Since my guns are all glass bedded, I only remove the barrel once a year after the competition season is over for the year because the torque on the barrel bands and tang screw will affect accuracy. I've never seen any problems in that area thus far so that's mostly a preventative procedure.

My cleaning process for black powder- remove spent cap and squirt windex down the barrel till it runs out the nipple. Scrape breech area with breech scraper. Patch bore till dry and pretty clean. Repeat with ballistol till patches are clean. Remove nipple and wipe area clean and scrap any fouling off including hammer. Clean flash channel. Put nipple back in with just a touch of grease on the threads. Wipe down with oil inside and out. About 29 minutes and done.
I'll keep that in mind when the weather warms up. I'm familiar with Windex but not Ballistol.

Get a replacement nipple that uses no 11 caps. The musket caps jumps the ball/or conical forward before the powder fully ignites and you loose back pressure out the nipple.THEY will shoot more accurate

Get a replacement nipple that uses no 11 caps. The musket caps jumps the ball/or conical forward before the powder fully ignites and you loose back pressure out the nipple.THEY will shoot more accurate

I would like to see that proven because a 209 is even hotter and there are some NMLRA matches that have been won using a 209 and conicals. Ive seen numerous under hammer slug guns setup to use centerfire primers too.

I would like to see that proven because a 209 is even hotter and there are some NMLRA matches that have been won using a 209 and conicals. Ive seen numerous under hammer slug guns setup to use centerfire primers too.
Bullet "jump" from musket caps is a myth UNLESS your minie ball is grossly undersized in which case you can kiss accuracy goodbye anyway.
the smaller the hole the better ..so you dont loose back pressure.make sense to everyone that i know.ID BET the magnum no 11 caps are just as hot as musket caps but theres more powder in musket caps and more pressure but that does not make it more hotter

Bullet "jump" from musket caps is a myth UNLESS your minie ball is grossly undersized in which case you can kiss accuracy goodbye anyway.
YEAH WELL UNLESS you say.So it does.not a myth

ITS not hotter..just more of it.Torch tips ..the more concentrated the higher the temp

YEAH WELL UNLESS you say.So it does.not a myth
The skirt on a properly sized minie will obturate before any "jump" can take place. Just for a grins and giggle experiment, dry ball one and try to make it jump. Use the ramrod as a measuring stick.

Take a small caliber PRB rifle. Fire it through a chrono with just a #11, a musket cap and a 209 primer. Let us know the velocity of each. I got my money on the 209 and if they dont cause this myth to happen i dont know what will.

Oh wait we already know whats going to happen the caps will both be dry balls and the one shot with a 209 will be traveling over 200fps at the muzzle. So if 209s (more energy) are a problem then they would not be so widely used in NMLRA inline shooting event. Every single Knight they have shot can be converted to percussion easily. If what you say is true then every shooter would be using them. Im not aware of any of them doing it. Even the guys shooting real black and conicals.

Do you know of any of them that are using percussion cap in modern inlines at the match?

the smaller the hole the better ..so you dont loose back pressure.

It appears at least according to Tresco that all of their nipples have the same size flash hole. Maybe someone that has some new ones can confirm this. So im not seeing the smaller hole theory just because its a musket cap nipple either. I would agree once they get too large accuracy can suffer.
LQ8fDqc.png

Take a small caliber PRB rifle. Fire it through a chrono with just a #11, a musket cap and a 209 primer. Let us know the velocity of each. I got my money on the 209 and if they dont cause this myth to happen i dont know what will.

Oh wait we already know whats going to happen the caps will both be dry balls and the one shot with a 209 will be traveling over 200fps at the muzzle. So if 209s (more energy) are a problem then they would not be so widely used in NMLRA inline shooting event. Every single Knight they have shot can be converted to percussion easily. If what you say is true then every shooter would be using them. Im not aware of any of them doing it. Even the guys shooting real black and conicals.

Do you know of any of them that are using percussion cap in modern inlines at the match?
IN NMLRA you can shoot whatever you want..iam there all the time line shooting all types of powder and nipples.THERES just MORE of 209,s NOT HOTTER.Thats why it jumps the ball

What a minute you said ball or conical. Yet there are several shooters using 209s with real black in the inline matches. Dont you think if this theory was true they would be using a percussion cap instead of a 209?

So i will ask again, how many shooters in the inline matches have you seen using percussion caps, real black, conicals and winning?............Im not aware of a single one but since you are there you might be able to tell me.

What a minute you said ball or conical. Yet there are several shooters using 209s with real black in the inline matches. Dont you think if this theory was true they would be using a percussion cap instead of a 209?

So i will ask again, how many shooters in the inline matches have you seen using percussion caps, real black, conicals and winning?............Im not aware of a single one but since you are there you might be able to tell me.

ive never seen a shotgun primer in a territorial in 25 years.lol ..the only competion that use musket caps is the musket catagory..and guys that want tighter groups all have changed over to no 11 magnums.The minnies and the balls ..the calibers are a minimum of 54.They had a inline match now as of a few years ago,,nobody shot it.

Attachments

• Scan_20210313 (3).png
    Scan_20210313 (3).png
    450 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back