Muzzleloader Accuracy Tips

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I know i have spoke of all of these things through out different Threads But never sat down and put it all together in 1 thread, This is to try and help you achieve the most out of your rifle, and what i feel makes the biggest difference in Accuracy With Grease Groove bullets.

No. 1, Is Your Rifle itself, Make sure you have your Rifle as clean as you can possibly get it, Take the time to clean your Barrel down to Bare Steel, I do NOT believe in the “Seasoning” your bore method with Bore Butter, or any other type of Stuff, Clean your Barrel down to Bare Steel, Make sure there is no lead or Plastic in your bore, Copper Chore boy wrapped tightly around an old Wore Bore Brush works very well, make DARN SURE it is the pure Copper stuff! Refer to my video on Cleaning in the Sticky section Above.

No. 2, Is your Powder Charge, I shoot Swiss 2 and 3F powder Exclusively, I prefer to Weigh my Powder Charges By weight on a Dependable Powder Scale, I have 2 really nice Volume measures but i NEVER use them to weigh my Charges, The ONLY time i ever use them is to Find out What Volume is Weighing in Weight Grains? (This is VERY important, NEVER guess this!! Some powders Will Vary substantially in Weight vs Volume) A Volume measurer was designed to get you “Close enough” for field use, That is NOT close enough for me, I want my Powder charges to be as identical to eachother as i can possibly get them!! Whatever powder you choose, Take the time to make each Charge as identical as you possibly can to eachother, The Most Accurate way to do this is on a Beam Type Powder Scale. I get my powder charges to a 10th of a Grain of eachother. Does this really matter? I absolutely believe it does! Would you trust your Centerfire Rifle Cartridges to “Close Enough”? I sure WOULDN'T! I treat my Muzzleloaders the EXACT same way as i do my Precision Centerfire Rifles. I have Handloaded my own Custom ammo since i was 15 years old, I have setup Rifles, and Taylored handloads for MANY MANY of them, I have shot out to 800 Yards VERY SUCCESSFULLY, I could easily Hit Gallon Jugs of Water at 800 Yards With my 7Mag And Handloads. Again, i treat my Muzzleloaders the Exact same as i do my Centerfire rifles.

No. 3, Is the Over Powder Wad, I want to Create a Solid, Repeatable Gas Seal behind my bullets. I have tested Several different Over Powder wad Materials, and Thicknesses over the last few years, Cork, Vegetable Fibre, Poly, And Wool, My ABSOLUTE Favorite Material is 1/8” thick Wool Felt, it has been the Clear winner for me with every type of Bullet (Except a Minie Ball, You don’t want to use a Wad of any kind with a Hollow Base Minie)
I prefer my 1/8” Wool felt Wads to be oversize, For a .45 Cal Rifle i use .50 Cal Wool Wads, for a .50 Cal Rifle i use .54 Cal Wool Wads, and For my .54 Cal Rifles i use .58 Cal Wool Wads. You have 2 options here, You can Buy Them, The ones i Buy are Oxyoke Brand and they Come in packages of 100, You could also Buy Bulk Wool Felt Material and Punch out Your Own Wads, Durofelt online is a good place to get Wool felt in Bulk, Make sure and get the 1/8” Thick stuff, I believe that to be important.

No. 4, The next thing is Your bullets. We want our Bullets PERFECT!!! If you are a bullet Caster take the time to weigh EVERY SINGLE bullet on a dependable Scale, When you have Casted with a Particular Mold and Alloy or pure lead you will know what to expect for Bullet Weight from that Mold. Lets say your mold Throws a Bullet weight of 400 Grains with pure lead, Weigh each and every bullet after your casting session and ONLY keep the bullets that Hit your weight of 400 Grains (Remember Different Alloys will Change the Bullet weight, Along with Casting technique) I shoot for Plus or Minus 1 Grain but usually get better than that when the Mold is up to temp, and running Right. So with a Mold that is Throwing a 400 Grain Bullet of Pure Lead i will keep bullets that weigh 399.5 to 400.5, If a bullet weighs 399.4 or 400.6 it goes back in the Lead pot, Be PICKY here! As a Caster you can do this! The other thing to look for, (I learned from Lee Shaver’s) is your Bullet bases (it is the base of your bullet that steers it, NOT the Nose) Make sure your bullet Bases are “Sharp” at the Edges and Completely filled out, Meaning Completely Flat across the Mold. A common thing i see is slightly Rounded Base edges, They might all weigh the Same, But the edges are not sharp, THROW THEM BACK and re Cast until you are getting FULL “Sharp” filled out Bullet bases. Keep playing with Casting techniques until you get this Down!
If you do not Cast your own bullets and are forced to Buy them you are limited here, But stil Do the same thing with them, Weigh EVERY single bullet and Sort them. I have seen Store bought (especially casted) bullets Vary LARGELY in weight, Nothing you can do about that besides Sort Through them.

No. 5, With a pile of PERFECT Bullets the next Step is Lube, I have found Lube to be EXTREMELY important! Lube can Make, or Break a Good Bullet!! I have shot Groups that were HORRIBLE, Pie plate size and Worse, And Just by Switching Bullet Lube i have had that EXACT same bullet/load Combo Shoot a true 1” or better Group, Lube is VERY IMPORTANT! I personally make my own Bullet lube of Bear Grease (rendered bear lard) Lanolin, And Beeswax. I understand that this is Not something everyone can do, The only commercial available Lube i have tried and had REALLY good luck with is Bullshop’s NASA lube, That stuff is REALLY GOOD and i highly recommended it! You can purchase this Lube From Bullshop Bullets. Your lubing technique doesn’t matter (Pan Lube, Or By hand) just fill the Grooves evenly, When you push the Bullet down the Bore wipe off any Excess Lube that was “Cut” From the Crown of your Bore.

Once you put the Above together, Sit down at a good SOLID Bench on Sand Bags, Or Something Similar, Settle the Rifle in ROCK SOLID, make sure the Rifle Can naturally Slide When it Recoils (AVOID Lead Sled type Rests!) Once you are SOLID on a Bench, Shoot your Group.
I have had people tell me that they just can’t seem to get a Good consistent Group no matter what Bullet/powder/Wad Combo they try? One of the first things i ask is What type of Rest/Bench were They were shooting from? Was it Solid? The reason i ask this is simple, The answers i have gotten NEVER CEASE to Amaze me, Most of them were shooting off hand :lol: :lol: :lol: Here’s your SIGN Buddy!! Now what good do you think that did Besides Waste powder and Lead? You accomplished nothing!! When you are working on a Load for a Rifle, and trying to get the ABSOLUTE most out of that Gun, You need to be Shooting from a SOLID REST!! AFTER You get the Rifle/Load figured out and are Shooting Tip Top, Then by ALL means Practice Away Off Hand, etc. But for God Sake when you are trying to Develop a Load for a Rifle GET ON A SOLID BENCH! DON’T expect to Stand off hand and Drive Nails, Ever heard of human error?

Hopefully this is helpful to Folks, You have nothing to lose by trying the above? NOTHING! But possibly a WHOLE LOT to Gain! Good Luck! Aim Small, Miss Small :yeah:

My Post above is to the Guy’s/Gals Looking to get the Most out of their Rifles, If you are ok with Backyard Plinking at Pie plates, and feel good if you hit them, then the Above is probably a Waste of your time, But don’t complain about accuracy, You are getting what you put in this.

Some might think it takes me a lot of extra time to do the above? NOT SO! It takes me just a few minutes to Weigh my Charges as described above, And when i Cast bullets why not take the time to make perfect ones? It takes me no longer to make Good bullets than Not Good ones. Again, it’s what you put in this stuff that can Pay off BIG! Look at my Targets, My Videos, I am no better than you, I just take the little extra time to make all of my stuff the Same :yeah:

Good example of how important Bullet Lube is, Here is a Group with Original Bullshop bullets Lubed with Dan’s NASA, This is what insired me to have this Mold Made :yeah:
UqvVVlgl.jpg

Here is a Group with The bullet i had Made (Copied from the Bullshop Bullet) The Lube i was using was Gatfeo (Stiff Lube) As you can clearly see Dan’s Original Bullshop BLEW my new bullet Away?? I contacted him through email and sent him pics of my New bullet, and My Targets, Wondering if he had any Suggestions as to Why his Bullet Outshot mine so badly? The VERY first thing Dan Noticed was my Bullet Lube, And Questioned it! He told me that Lube was VERY VERY important.
Q4y9zlUl.jpg

Here was my Last outing with my Bullshop Bullet, and my Knowledge of the importance of Bullet Lube :yeah: This Group is in 1 of my Videos. Look at this Group compared to the Group above where i was using a Stiff Lube, NIGHT N DAY difference. My new bullet shoots EVERY bit as good as Dan’s, It just needed the Right Lube, My Bear Grease Lube is Second to NONE!!
Xy6DD5sl.jpg

And here is a good example of what different Over Powder Wad Materials can do, Everything about these 2 targets are identical EXCEPT the Over Powder Wad. Same rifle, Same bullet, Same Powder charge, same yardage. Just 2 different Over Powder Wad materials

.060 Vegetable fibre Over Powder Wad, Nothing great at all!
8Gi7moyl.jpg

Now with an Oversize 1/8” Wool felt Over powder Wad. BIG difference huh?
YngXgbul.jpg

You tend to be very purposeful, and you specified you use a "beam type powder scale". It seems like a digital powder scale would be faster, easier, and more portable. Why the beam?

FredB said:
You tend to be very purposeful, and you specified you use a "beam type powder scale". It seems like a digital powder scale would be faster, easier, and more portable. Why the beam?

I use both a digital Scale and my RCBS 10/10 Beam, The digital scale is definitely more convenient and i do use it fairly often, But i keep a Certified check weight handy on my bench so i can check it often (before i start, and at the end) My concern with Digital/electronic scales is sudden failure, Electronic stuff can fail Plain n Simple, I have yet to have my little digital Scale fail me, But it is always in the back of my mind. My beam scale on the other hand i trust fully. Between the 2, I always advise a good Beam Scale for reliability.

best accuracy improvement I learned when I started years ago was when seating the bullet or ball use the same pressure I push down on the rod until I feel the powder compress under the ball or bullets. and never do what the some guys do bouncing the ramrond on the loader bullets.

anaconda44 said:
best accuracy improvement I learned when I started years ago was when seating the bullet or ball use the same pressure I push down on the rod until I feel the powder compress under the ball or bullets. and never do what the some guys do bouncing the ramrond on the loader bullets.
Agreed. I have a device made by Straight Shooter Co. that is a double end palm saver for a ramrod that has a spring inside. The spring loaded end is to keep seating force the consistent shot to shot. I think they come in 40, 60, or 80# models. Lewis mentioned using a beam scale and I agree as I have had digital scales vary too much. Also electronic powder scale manufacturers warn you NOT to weigh black powder with them. They warn against static electricity build up causing the powder to ignite. I'm sure it's a minute chance but you never know.

Any of you guy’s here have hands on experience with one of these pressure seating gauges?

I never had but remember Sam Fadala discussing it in one of black powder books. Often thought you could use a set of old bathroom scales to set the butt of gun on while applying pressure.

Saxtonyoung said:
I never had but remember Sam Fadala discussing it in one of black powder books. Often thought you could use a set of old bathroom scales to set the butt of gun on while applying pressure.

Good idea Sax! That would work just as well! Maybe more accurate? I know we have a Digital Scale, Nobody cares about using it around here anyway :lol: Most of what i Bench Shoot is True “Slip Fit” both GG and PP, they just “Kiss” the Bore on the way down, The weight of my Range Rod is Enough to push them down. I would be curious to see if I could tell a difference from say 5 pounds pressure, to 50 pounds? I have always loaded by feel. I learned to push my Wad down by itself (1 bad experience sending the bullet and Wad down together taught me to load them separately) when i hit the powder with the Wad i give Roughly 10-15 Pounds of Push, Then send the Bullet down and just lightly push to make sure it’s on the Wad Good, This has worked great for me :yeah: I will do some experimenting with the Scale This Spring/Summer

Idaholewis said:
Any of you guy’s here have hands on experience with one of these pressure seating gauges?
I don’t know a single shooter at Friendship that uses one, I’m sure some are around.
I have to say, I’ve seen some gimmicks tried over my nearly 30 years of attending.

52Bore said:
Idaholewis said:
I have to say, I’ve seen some gimmicks tried over my nearly 30 years of attending.

LOL! I agree Rick, That tool does look VERY Gimmicky, That’s why i asked if anyone has actually used one? Like i said above, i have never had a problem loading the way i do

Down in the Product Review section there is a Thread on this Tool, The Maker of it is a Member here

Idaholewis said:
52Bore said:
Idaholewis said:

LOL! I agree Rick, That tool does look VERY Gimmicky, That’s why i asked if anyone has actually used one? Like i said above, i have never had a problem loading the way i do

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it a gimmick. IIRC the company can set the force an individual might request, and again, IIRC, it has some type of "click", or something of that nature that identifies the set force.
One issue might be, that if you wanted to seat a bullet at 35#, if the loading force was equal to, or harder than 35#'s, then it would provide a false reading. If the loading force to get a bullet down the barrel averaged 30#, then one would have to be mindful of acceleration, which would increase the actual force, giving the loader a false impression the bullet was seated. Witness marks on every ramrod.

Idaho:
What gun and barrel twist did you use on the targets shown here? Also. On the 51-450M mold what was the bullet weight?
Was that 1/30 1part alloy/30 pure lead?
Thanks for the post. I have been using pure lead , cast my own, my own lube. Using a .06 wad. I am getting decent groups but not great so I will try the Bullshop lube. I do weigh my charges and my bullets. I do group them with in 1 grain.
Thanks again, Alan

The .45 Cal is my Green Mountain LRH Barrel which has a 1:30 Twist. The .50 Cal Targets are also Green Mountain LRH Barrels, they have a 1:28 Twist. All 4 of my GM Fast Twist Barrels are 1” Across the Flats, And are in TC Renegade, and TC Hawken Stocks. They all have Tang Mounted peep sights, with 17 Series Globe Front sights, i use Lee Shaver’s Fine BPCR inserts in my Globes. A VERY VERY Big Key to putting all of this together and getting STELLAR results is your Sights! The Old Saying “You can’t hit what you can’t see” Holds very true! I have a REALLY tough time with a Regular Bead Front Sight, I would be BUMMED without my Fine BPCR inserts.

My Bullet Drops at 460 Grains
ScRxB4Tm.jpg

30-1 is 30 parts of lead and 1 part of tin (97% lead, 3% tin) I get mine in Certified Chop blocks From Buffalo Arms, i shoot more 1-40 Than anything, But I have had VERY VERY Good luck with Both 1-20, and 1-30 Alloys. I believe there is GOOD reason that the Majority of World Class Competition shooters use 1-20, even 1-16, I don’t buy Pure lead at all anymore, The only bullets i shoot that are Pure lead are Buffalo Arms Swaged Cupped Base Paper Patch bullets, i have no choice With them, That is what they are made of. I now have Molds, I will pour them of an Alloy.

https://www.rotometals.com/1-to-30-bullet-alloy-5-pounds-97-lead-3-tin/ Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you can read the make up of the other Alloys

Buffalo Arms
https://www.buffaloarms.com/30-1-al...llet-casting-alloy-priced-per-pound-30-1alloy

Back