Muzzleloader Blow Up

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Anyone Know more about this? Is this Old? (It doesn’t say Smokeless, But it has to be?) First time i have seen this one.

It happens at the 0:52 mark in the Video

I hadn’t seen that one before either. Agreed it had to be smokeless.

Anyone Know more about this? Is this Old? (It doesn’t say Smokeless, But it has to be?) First time i have seen this one.

A lot of this video was about STUPID PEOPLE WITH GUNS

The kid looked as though he hadn't a clue what he was doing

And they were either at a Garage Sale, or Having one? Maybe he was buying it from the Garage Sale, and the Seller was teaching him how to Fire it? :snipe::p

Very scary. I have been shooting for a long time and never had a gun blow up. Of course my relatives taught me right and I have taken several gun safety classes. As stated he was probably shooting smokeless and did not measure correctly.

I was also curious about the guy shooting off the bench he had several miss fires: squib load and hang fire? He was very lucky.

Very scary. I have been shooting for a long time and never had a gun blow up. Of course my relatives taught me right and I have taken several gun safety classes. As stated he was probably shooting smokeless and did not measure correctly.

I was also curious about the guy shooting off the bench he had several miss fires: squib load and hang fire? He was very lucky.

Yea, that kid was LUCKY to Live. That is one of the Worst “in hand” Muzzleloader Blow ups i have seen on the Tube.

Been reloading modern rifles and shooting muzzle loaders for 35 years. Reload and shoot 200-300 rounds a year. Never ever had a problem. First off when dealing with gun powder you better have your head on straight. Not for a casual hobby. There are procedures to follow. If you cant follow direction and concentrate on your task them get another hobby.

Been reloading modern rifles and shooting muzzle loaders for 35 years. Reload and shoot 200-300 rounds a year. Never ever had a problem. First off when dealing with gun powder you better have your head on straight. Not for a casual hobby. There are procedures to follow. If you cant follow direction and concentrate on your task them get another hobby.

Boy ain't that the truth.

Definitely Smokeless. No white cloud. Probably dumped 100 grains by volume down it. I think every muzzleloader out there would hold up to “Savage” recommended loads. Meaning I don’t think they would grenade like that. I ain’t trying it anytime soon though.

Probably the dumbest thing I personally ever did is: When I was a kid in high school, I made a cannon out of a piece of 1/2” galvanized pipe (1/8” wall at best) a coupling and a plug for the breech. Drilled a hole in it for a fuse and welded three legs and some sights on it in welding class at the high school. Yeah our welding instructor gave me a grade on it....
Used to shoot it with one cap full of goex. Don’t know how much powder that was I would guess 30 grains or so. For projectiles, marbles wrapped in toilet paper. Shot up the whole pound of powder that way. I was at a friends house and we were shooting it across a wash at a hillside when we ran out of powder. His words” my dad has a bunch of reloading stuff in the garage, he has powder.” We loaded it up again with the standard load, one capful. It sounded more like a bottle rocket than a cannon, so we put two capfuls in it. This time it grenaded. We were standing inside the back of the garage watching the hillside out the widow, when it went off. It was LOUD!! We never saw the impact on the hill, I’m sure it vaporized the marble. Blew the plug out the back and took a chunk out of the brick. Hate to admit how dumb I was as a kid. Live and learn I guess...

Nothing surprises me. Hangout around the local gun counter long enough and you will here some real winners sharing there knowledge. Here's a few tidbits I remember off the top of my head:
- Stainless muzzleloaders can handle smokeless.
- Loose powder is less powerful than pellets, so you need more.
It is no wonder this stuff happens. It doesnt take an expert to run these guns. Paying attention and reading the owner's manual would have gone a long way.

Probably the dumbest thing I personally ever did is: When I was a kid in high school, I made a cannon out of a piece of 1/2” galvanized pipe (1/8” wall at best) a coupling and a plug for the breech. Drilled a hole in it for a fuse and welded three legs and some sights on it in welding class at the high school. Yeah our welding instructor gave me a grade on it....
Used to shoot it with one cap full of goex. Don’t know how much powder that was I would guess 30 grains or so. For projectiles, marbles wrapped in toilet paper. Shot up the whole pound of powder that way. I was at a friends house and we were shooting it across a wash at a hillside when we ran out of powder. His words” my dad has a bunch of reloading stuff in the garage, he has powder.” We loaded it up again with the standard load, one capful. It sounded more like a bottle rocket than a cannon, so we put two capfuls in it. This time it grenaded. We were standing inside the back of the garage watching the hillside out the widow, when it went off. It was LOUD!! We never saw the impact on the hill, I’m sure it vaporized the marble. Blew the plug out the back and took a chunk out of the brick. Hate to admit how dumb I was as a kid. Live and learn I guess...
Sdporter,

You reminded me of the crazy thing that two of my childhood friends and did for entertainment at Christmas about 1960. Their father was the one that gets the honor of teaching us how to put blasting powder in a pint paint can then put the lip on it. The lip had a small hole punched for applying a firecracker to ignite the power. When it was fired the explosion would blow the lip off then prew a nice bright flame out about 15-20'. It was exciting and pretty to watch.

We were having fun with it when one of us suggested using a piece of pump pipe rather than the paint can. The paint can was short lived material.

So we found a 2" diameter X 6" long pipe to try our new method from the shop. We push the pipe into the soft field soil far enough to keep it pointed up in the air. Then we filled it will blasting powder. Next we laid a firecracker on the powder then lite it. OMG! What a roman candle we designed. Only difference it was one big long burn of flames shooting up about 20'. We had succeeded in making an improved model of our roman candle that would outlast the paint can by far.

We keep firing roman candle time after time. It was night time and the flames could see a long ways off so we enjoyed it. Finally we made the mistake of pouring the powder into the pipe before it had time to cool down. I can remember the appearance of the pipe. It was a low dull red inside. That heat was all it took to ignite the powder when all 3 of us were right over the top it. I realized what was happening so I jumped back. My friends didn't react fast enough to avoid getting there hair singed. Fortunately none of got injured. But that was enough to scare the heck out of us. We stopped playing with blasting powder before we got in trouble.

I remember there was 6 kegs of powder their dad used for blasting tree stumps out of the fields.

What a blast!!!

This is one of the things that makes buying a used ml scare me. I believe that you never know what has been fired from them. Shame, lot of lucky people.

Back in the day before Oklahoma City my Dad and I visited one of his farmer buddies and they were talking about clearing fence rows. The farmer thought nothing of putting a bag of fertilizer with some deisel fuel under a tree and igniting it. He said the tree would disappear. I thought he may be embelishing a little and asked him to be more specific. There had to be branches or some deble left over. He made it perfectly clear there was nothing to clean up and no branches to burn. The tree would just disappear. Dont play with powder.

Latest posts

Back