Muzzleloader Doe Day in Virginia

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaguru

Reaction score
Season here has been horrible due to hot weather, rain and wind. I managed to drop this decent adult doe at 102 yards with my new CVA Optima V2. Shooting 90 grs volume of T7 fffg (79.7gr by weight), 240 Hornady XTP and WW 209 primer. This was only the second adult doe I have seen all season, including bow season.

Pleased with the rifle load and results.IMG_3932 labelled 640x480.jpgIMG_3932 labelled 640x480.jpg

That's a good looking dinner animal. Congrats on the take.

Good job! Know what you mean about your weather and it sounds the same as where I hunt in Tennessee. I’ve been reluctant to shoot a doe in the afternoon hunt because it’s too warm to let one hang overnight and the round trip to a processor would be close to two hours. Hope all of us down south get some cooler temps. Enjoy that venison!

Hunt Virginia as well and can't believe the conditions this year. Doesn't appear they are going to get any better soon.

Both of the deer processors here are mennonite and closed on Sunday. I had to work up my 5 point myself. Got him skinned and quartered and in an older fridge within three hours after the kill. Otherwise I would have to put him in a cooler on ice.
It's just too hot to let them hang. Hopefully it will get colder by the end of the month!

Season here has been horrible due to hot weather, rain and wind. I managed to drop this decent adult doe at 102 yards with my new CVA Optima V2. Shooting 90 grs volume of T7 fffg (79.7gr by weight), 240 Hornady XTP and WW 209 primer. This was only the second adult doe I have seen all season, including bow season.

Pleased with the rifle load and results.View attachment 11071View attachment 11071
Congrats. I'm a Md guy for over 50yrs that moved a few yrs ago to northern Fl. where its 80% RH & 75* by daybrake & the dang skeeters are massive clouds of swarming buzzin lil vampires that have run me outta the woods 3 times this season. 2 times in less than an hr too. I'm wearin the lightest camo I have ( for spring turkey hunting in Md cloths. Its still too much & way too hot. I don't think I will ever get use to that BS or like it at all. The rut here is in freakin Aug. when its 100* with 90%RH every day & theres NO hunting season at all. Plus the deer are absolutely covered with deer ticks like a flee infestation & while you're on the ground field dressing your deer, gettin covered in & torn up by the fire ants ya cant set a foot down anywhere here without landin on a million of them mean lil buggers. Its really got me missing freezin my boys off in Md. Va. Pa. Wva region I've roamed & hunted & fished all my life thats for dang sure.

Last edited:

Pleased with the rifle load and results.View attachment 11071View attachment 11071
Looks like that will be some nice meals for sure/Ed

Weather here in SE NC too hot and humid for me this year only got out one day during muzzle season and was sweat soaked before set up in blind. Beginning of rifle season have been using my Knight still way warmer then I’d like. Next week I’ll head up to my hunting club in NY for some cooler hunting hopefully a light snow cover.

Congrats. I'm a Md guy for over 50yrs that moved a few yrs ago to northern Fl. where its 80% RH & 75* by daybrake & the dang skeeters are massive clouds of swarming buzzin lil vampires that have run me outta the woods 3 times this season. 2 times in less than an hr too. I'm wearin the lightest camo I have ( for spring turkey hunting in Md cloths. Its still too much & way too hot. I don't think I will ever get use to that BS or like it at all. The rut here is in freakin Aug. when its 100* with 90%RH every day & theres NO hunting season at all. Plus the deer are absolutely covered with deer ticks like a flee infestation & while you're on the ground field dressing your deer, gettin covered in & torn up by the fire ants ya cant set a foot down anywhere here without landin on a million of them mean lil buggers. Its really got me missing freezin my boys off in Md. Va. Pa. Wva region I've roamed & hunted & fished all my life thats for dang sure.
Youve gotta get outta there brother.

I have had to stuff 2 bags of ice inside a big doe and then wrap her up in a silver tarp for 2 days. She stayed nice and cold (in the shade) til I could get her to the processor.
Youve gotta get outta there brother.
Thanks bro, I sure as heck do. I feel like an alien here. Plus I'm not lookin to hunt miles in the mountains or the dang swamp either, not hunt in snow up to my boys & get covered in a coat of snow & ice hunting anymore either. Though I have a 700.oo set of scentlock gortex hard woods camo bibs & parka that is pack away nicely here lol I always appreciate the well wishes brother.

Back