Muzzleloader Explodes on Firing Range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A muzzleloader blew up on a Wisconsin firing range, injuring three people: One was sent to the hospital. A double load is blamed for the wreck.

"Three people were injured by shrapnel when the 50-caliber muzzleloader exploded after being accidentally loaded two times before it was fired, the sheriff's department said in a news release. Muzzleloaders, unlike other rifles, are loaded by ramming the gunpowder and bullet down from the end of the barrel.

Two of the people received minor injuries and a 36-year-old man was transported to Froedtert with non-life threatening injuries to his hand and forearm."

https://news.yahoo.com/three-injured-firearm-explodes-waukesha-042335791.html

Yes, witness mark.

Electrical tape over the muzzle to know that it is loaded.

Discharge and clean at the end of the season.

I only shoot early in the morning when no one else is at the range as I always seem to draw curious onlookers especially when they see my groups. Easy to get distracted.

Many muzzle loaders are "proofed" with double and triple loads, and the barrels don't burst. I wonder if maybe someone used "smokeless powder instead of black powder to load the gun.
It is the weight of the 2nd bullet and powder charge on top of the first that creates the issue.

The type and amount of powder and weight of bullets would be interesting.

A friend and i were checking the zeros of our muzzleloaders prior to deer season. i do know that an original Knight disc rifle loaded with two 150 grain charges of Pyrodex and two 240 grain XTP bullets showed no ill effects from being fired. The rifle is being used this deer season.

The recoil badly busted up my friends face and nose. But our doctor neighbor fixed him up.

It is the weight of the 2nd bullet and powder charge on top of the first that creates the issue.
There are examples of multiple loads in civil war muskets that fired without bursting the barrels. The recoil in horrendous, but the guns did not explode. It is unlikely that the second load over the first ignited, as no spark got to the powder as it would have to get by the patch & ball of the first load. Even if the second powder charge did ignite, all of the energy would be directed out of the barrel. The Bevel Brothers have done experiments with multiple loads in a barrel and obstructions, to see if the barrel would explode. They were unable to get one to explode, but did get some bulged barrels where the obstructions were.
I stand by my theory that somehow smokeless powder was used.

I think there are enough documented cases of barrel rupture in Muzzleloaders to show that they can and will burst. I wouldn’t put all of my trust in a single venture into the study of barrel rupture. There are far too many instances to prove the brothers wrong. This where I stand.

People using Muzzleloaders for whatever reason need to focus on one thing to stay safe in doing so and that is what they are doing. I’d wager that over 99%of all barrel ruptures are preventable.

Many muzzle loaders are "proofed" with double and triple loads, and the barrels don't burst. I wonder if maybe someone used "smokeless powder instead of black powder to load the gun.
Even as this is a possibility, when a rifle is proofed, double the amount of powder is used behind one bullet. If this gun was double loaded it would have two bullets with powder behind each.

There's not really enough information to determine what happened. There are folks who try to fire decorative pieces never intended to shoot, others who shoot guns that are unsafe due to age/deterioration, and the "creative propellant" group as well as theories already spoken of.

Unless the poor man's luck just ran out due to some obscure manufacturing error, my bet's on shooter/loader error. Press release is lacking, but it's a sad tale for sure.

This post is a good reminder. I have my ramrod marked and do not talk with anyone while loading.
The only time I've made a mistake loading is while talking to my buddy. Luckily, I just forgot if I had put powder in, not double loaded.

I have a no talking while loading policy now as well.

Found this which was associated with original write up of the accident:

Timothy
19 November, 2022

This person should be held liable for all medical expenses, and sued in civil court. It doesn't matter if it was an accident. With freedom comes responsibility.

Goes to show you what your fellow shooters are capable of, be wary of who gathers around you.

Have a feeling the wrong type of powder, not black powder, was the cause of the explosion.

Back