Muzzleloader scopes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old Conquest was another really good ML scope. Minox ZA5 was right there next to it but when EuroOptics and Cabelas blew them out, the Conquest was a smoking deal. Both have very similar glass/build quality.

3.5" of relief and 20oz simply wont work for me on a hunting ML. Dont matter if its only $300. My NULA is next inline for an upgrade or the Pacnor if i keep it. The Pacnor will get a SWFA SS 20x42 just because its only for bench fun and will weigh a ton no matter what i do. Cant beat its specs for $299 and its a crazy tough scope.

I would not put a 20oz scope on my NULA if it made my coffee for me. VX3i's can be found on sale for around $300 and the specs are almost perfect for that rifle.

Sportmans just had this one on sale for $299 12.5oz which is a huge selling feature on the NULA.
https://www.leupold.com/scopes/compact-scopes/vx-3i-3-5-10x40mm

Ever wondered where tons of good scopes come from?
http://www.light-op.co.jp/english/

Last edited:
Second the recommendation for Vortex Diamondback HP 3 X 12 as good quality scope with a versatile power range.

Second the recommendation for Vortex Diamondback HP 3 X 12 as good quality scope with a versatile power range.

Ive looked at so many scopes and the 3x12x42 HP has so much to offer for $200. If you dont mind the weight its a superb value. I dont think you will find much under $300 that will compete against it unless you wait for a sale on a VX3i. I think the typical ML hunter would be more happy with the Loopie just because the low weight and excellent specs. Its probably what i will put on my NULA when its time to upgrade.

I like the Nikon “P Tactical” scopes and have them on most of my smokers. They haven’t given me one ounce of trouble. I have a couple of 4x12 diamondbacks and the one drawback for me, is when sighting in, I move the group 4 MOA and it actually moves 8. The Nikons seem to track better. I also
Love the BDC reticle. Works out roughly 50’yards per hash mark out to 300’yards, it becomes exponentially greater than that beyond 300.

I have Nikon P scopes rifle on the 3x9x40 knight orange disc, 2x7x32? Shotgun hunters in the marlin 512 slug and slug hunter 3x9x40 on savage 220 slug rifle I know they make a muzzle loader scope but for eye relief the slug hunter is best of Nikon. If I were buying a new scope for my imaginary Elk rifle I’d look at Voretex for warranty and USA made. If they have one that offers good eye relief I’d buy over Nikon. I was not impressed with what came out a couple years ago from Nikons lower end of scopes. We all know what comes out of the lower end.

I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 3X9 with BDC, great eye relief, great scope that is capable of reaching out to 250 accurately. Only scope that has been on my ML since I got it about 7 years ago.

Got a Nikon Omega and not really that happy with it. Mainly i hate their BDC. 5" of relief is good for some rifles like the LHR or T/C Strike but its too much for my Knight without a major change to the mounting hardware.

Nikon is dead set on using that BDC on so many of their scope i dont even look at them anymore. Look at Natchez and there are tons of Nikon and Burris factory refurb scopes. Nikon has more listed than all other brands combined.

Diamondback HP and Diamondback are a fair amount different in quality. Big different in eye relief and glass used. Nothing in the standard DB lineup interests me at all for a ML. I would have to move up to the Razor HD LH to find another Vortex that is what i like for a ML scope. The 2x10x40 on Amazon is a bargain at $480. Its only a few bucks more than a Viper HS. The vast majority of the rest are either short eye relief or 30mm tubes or both. Many are even heavier than the DB HP. If im going higher in weight i would buy something else.

If you got the cash this is a killer deal on upper end Vortex scope. https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-Razor-Second-Riflescopes/dp/B019ZUBLX0?th=1

Watch sportsmans for deals. They included shipping. They had the Leupold VX3i without CDS for $299 not long ago. Watch Natchez for deals on Japanese made Weavers. Scopes made at the LoW plant in Japan typically get good reviews. LoW made the Bushnell Elites. Not sure if they still do but they did for years.

I like the leupold fixed power rifle scopes. Great eye relief, very forgiving eye box. I currently have a 6x36 on my muzzleloader, but would like to give the 4x33 a try as well.

put a nikon 2x7x32 plex on my black diamond. i prefer this scope low to barrel. bushnell trophy 3x9x40 with their bdc which isnt bad on my cva mr. I just took off a nikon bdc on my .308 and mounted a prostaff plex which my eyes pick up easier in the woods. To much marketing crap with these companies. Just my 2 cents.

I like a scope with accurate tracking, good eye relief and good glass for the money. The market is full of $1000+ scopes with bells and whistles. You can get a SWFA SS that looks bad to the bone for $300-$400 and it will handle a beating better than you can. :p It will track as well as scopes costing twice as much or more.

I will probably end up with one next year just to look "Cool" at the range. :D
SS10X42MMQ_8.jpg

ss10x42mq-r.jpg

Leupold seems to have consistent quality. I say get simple duplex reticle, scope in about 2-7 power, about 33mm objective. If you want bigger current version of VX 3 in 3.5 -10 x 40 can be found many places for $299, can't beat that.

I still look for the vintage redfield wide fields at shows and flea markets
Those old Redfields were great scopes !!! I loved the 1.75 x 5 !!! Very easy to accurately shoot a running or driven deer .
What is ignored by many guys are the military short to medium range scopes . They are perfect for hunting to 500 yds equiped with all sorts of cool stuff relevant to hunting . As long as you dont need to see Mars in the process . With my 300 mag ive shot a 5 shot group that the hole measured .418 across with a 1.5 x 6 on it . I know it can be done .
UTG , OSPREY and others are such military optic lines with superb deals able to take 50 BMG rounds again and again . For not much money comparitively to more "normal" brands.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back