Muzzleloader scopes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive read TONS of Tract reviews and its really hard to find one that is bad. The optical quality is normally on par with scopes costing much more. The 2x10x42 easily compares to the Razor HD LH in quality. Most seem to like it better than the Razor but i can get a Razor HD LH for slightly less. Much less if they have another sale on them.

The new Response scopes are now made in Japan too but not with Schott glass. They are probably LOW or similar to other mid range Japanese made optics so the $400 price point is very good considering all the features you get. Probably not a very good choice for a ML with the 3.5" relief or the busy reticle but it might work for some people. I bet it spanks a Vortex DB Tactical to hell and back and costs about the same.

I keep coming back to the Turion 3x9x40 for $400. I would probably be all over it if it was a 2x10 at the same price point.

Natchez has a couple Grand Slams on sale but sorta tight eye relief and 3 Classic Extremes for a really good price. The new WCEs are made in the Philippines but appear to hold up good.

The 2.5x10x50 would make a interesting scope for well under $250. Plenty of eye relief, side focus and a rather simple illuminated reticle. A bit heavy at 23oz but anything built like this is about the same weight.
https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-cl...ope-2-5-10x50mm-illuminated-dual-x-matte.html

This may not be everyones cup of tea BUT....the price is killer and you wont break these suckers easily. One of the toughest scopes you can get.

SWFA SS 10x42 for $199
https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-10x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope-3.html?___SID=U

Side focus version is $100 off too
https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-10x42m-tactical-30mm-riflescope-3.html?___SID=U

That would be a good one for sitting at a Bench Pounding Targets :lewis: I’m gonna buy one of their Scopes someday

Those scopes have 140 MOA of adjustment too. The ones on sale (aside from being mrad) are the Navy contract scopes that have been made for ages. 40mil of adjustment is roughly 140MOA. That is quite a bit more than most scopes offer. 19ish oz is not terribly bad but fixed 10x is hard to swallow for a hunting scope. I will keep an eye on their sales. I would much rather have a 16x or 20x for fun shooting. Other than magnification the specs are all pretty similar.

Around 3.9" of eye relief
140 MOA of adjustment
Around 19oz
14" long

Guys shooting the big boomers like the Paramount should really consider one of these if you want a MUCH cheaper tough scope for recreational long range shooting/hunting.

For $550 shop around a bit, explore other options. Oh by the way, I am a Leupold fan, great guarantee.

Congrats, should be a great scope for your needs.

Last edited:
I have a feeling this is coming my way as a gift, should be here today or tomorrow?

If you end up with a Leupold you got yourself an AWESOME Scope :lewis: I have owned MANY of them over the Years, they are ROCK SOLID, Dependable. And Leupold has always been known to Stand Behind Their Products. In my opinion you Cant/Won’t go Wrong with a Leupold! Vortex’s BIG CLAIM to Fame is their VIP Warranty, It’s a Good thing they offer it, Because you will likely be using it! All Good Scope Manufactures of Today offer TIP TOP Warranties, They Have to in order to Compete. Leupold has always been the Gold Standard with me, From the time i was a Little Boy, The Serious HARDCORE hunting Fella’s Had Leupold Gold Ring Scopes Atop their Rifles

Lotta guys on the SML boards have destroyed Loopies under the VX6HD and VX5HD series. The heavy recoil can trash the erectors. Smokers for the most part wont have nearly the same amount of recoil. What i like most about them is......many have good eye relief for ML use and the weight is very reasonable.

BTW they just had a sale on the VX3i starting at $299 for the plain duplex but they always want a ton for the B&C reticle. Nice scope but there are TONS of nice $550 scopes including a few in FFP like the Veracity. For $370 you can get the CDS model at EuroOptics https://www.eurooptic.com/leupold-vx-3i-rifle-scopes.aspx

Lotta guys on the SML boards have destroyed Loopies under the VX6HD and VX5HD series. The heavy recoil can trash the erectors. Smokers for the most part wont have nearly the same amount of recoil. What i like most about them is......many have good eye relief for ML use and the weight is very reasonable.

BTW they just had a sale on the VX3i starting at $299 for the plain duplex but they always want a ton for the B&C reticle. Nice scope but there are TONS of nice $550 scopes including a few in FFP like the Veracity. For $370 you can get the CDS model at EuroOptics https://www.eurooptic.com/leupold-vx-3i-rifle-scopes.aspx

Some of the Smokeless stuff i have seen is MIND BOGGLING! HOLY MOLY!! It’s a wonder ANY Scope can Take That!!? Like Bestill’s “Woody” That Rifle is SPANKING a .338 Lapua Magnum :eek::D If i ever venture back in to the inlines, it will UNDOUBTEDLY be one of these Smokeless Rigs, ALL OUT!! :cool:

Bestill recommended the HDs if getting a Leupold. Those are out of a price range most of us can afford though and probably tougher than most regular ML shooters will ever need. I like the VX3is a lot but not $550 worth a lot. :D They put a huge premium on that B&C reticle. I just think its a smarter choice to go with the duplex CDS and have it matched to what you are actually shooting. Save that extra $180 for a nice base and/or set of rings.

If you end up with a Leupold you got yourself an AWESOME Scope :lewis: I have owned MANY of them over the Years, they are ROCK SOLID, Dependable. And Leupold has always been known to Stand Behind Their Products. In my opinion you Cant/Won’t go Wrong with a Leupold! Vortex’s BIG CLAIM to Fame is their VIP Warranty, It’s a Good thing they offer it, Because you will likely be using it! All Good Scope Manufactures of Today offer TIP TOP Warranties, They Have to in order to Compete. Leupold has always been the Gold Standard with me, From the time i was a Little Boy, The Serious HARDCORE hunting Fella’s Had Leupold Gold Ring Scopes Atop their Rifles
My Browning BLR in .450marlin has a leupold
Bestill recommended the HDs if getting a Leupold. Those are out of a price range most of us can afford though and probably tougher than most regular ML shooters will ever need. I like the VX3is a lot but not $550 worth a lot. :D They put a huge premium on that B&C reticle. I just think its a smarter choice to go with the duplex CDS and have it matched to what you are actually shooting. Save that extra $180 for a nice base and/or set of rings.

My browning BLR in .450marlin has had a leupold on it since 2004, maybe I got a good one,the .450 has massive recoil!

Thats not even close to what the SMLs are making in recoil. 450 Marlin is around 2200fps for a 325gr bullet. Around 2000fps for a 400gr. Imagine a 350gr bullet at over 2800fps....Thats massive. My NULA at 7lbs shoots a 275gr over 2400fps. Converted CVA Scouts/Hunters can reach 2500fps with a 300gr, maybe even a bit more. They trash scopes fast even good scopes.

Keeping it in perspective....a sabotless 45 shooting a 350gr bullet with 84gr by weight of BH209 is right at 2000fps. A 300gr is right at 2100fps or slightly more. It thumps good but not what i would call massive.

UPS came to the house yesterday and as I suspected the Leupold VX 3i 3.5-10x40 with the B&C reticle was in the box!

I agree there are other scopes for less money etc...but considering this was a gift from one of my closest friends who is in no way into hunting or guns, i can only be elated. My new CVA Accura V2 with thumbhole stock and nitride finish that my wife bought me for Christmas is going to shoot well with this scope showing me the way.
Merry Christmas everyone!

I was actually looking at the VX3i and they are still on the list for upgrading my NULA's scope. Like i said i love the weight and eye relief. It should make a really nice ML scope. I backed down to a more common load in my NULA. A 225gr bullet at 2300fps. I bet that scope will handle it just fine. If they would just offer it in a 2x10x40 i would be in love.

Merry Christmas.

Thats not even close to what the SMLs are making in recoil. 450 Marlin is around 2200fps for a 325gr bullet. Around 2000fps for a 400gr. Imagine a 350gr bullet at over 2800fps....Thats massive. My NULA at 7lbs shoots a 275gr over 2400fps. Converted CVA Scouts/Hunters can reach 2500fps with a 300gr, maybe even a bit more. They trash scopes fast even good scopes.

Keeping it in perspective....a sabotless 45 shooting a 350gr bullet with 84gr by weight of BH209 is right at 2000fps. A 300gr is right at 2100fps or slightly more. It thumps good but not what i would call massive.

My browning at 7 pounds with a 350gr bullet at 2100fps has a recoil energy listed at 37.2. Maybe not as high as yours but still A TON!

Its strange but my NULA dont seem as bad as it should be. Stock design and the recoil pads makes it feel better im sure. A ported 1895 guide gun in 45/70 felt worse. Ive shot them side by side. My 54-120 20" barrel with a 385gr bullet and a max load sucks to shoot. Thats only around 1850fps in a 7lber. I only shot that load just to see how it did.

Some older Loopies are super tough like the fixed power scopes and i dont think ive ever seen anyone trash a older VX-III or even a II. It takes a pretty nasty round to trash those scopes. Some rifles are just scope eaters....Rem600 in 350Rem Mag...ouchie. :D

Back