Muzzleloader scopes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My browning at 7 pounds with a 350gr bullet at 2100fps has a recoil energy listed at 37.2. Maybe not as high as yours but still A TON!
Try shooting an Ultimate Firearms BP Xpress with 200grs of powder and a 300gr bullet at 2,300fps. The recoil energy from that is 72.47#, even with a 12# rifle.
It will make a man wish he had a muzzle brake ;)

Try shooting an Ultimate Firearms BP Xpress with 200grs of powder and a 300gr bullet at 2,300fps. The recoil energy from that is 72.47#, even with a 12# rifle.
It will make a man wish he had a muzzle brake ;)

Overkill for deer hunting, even the .450marlin is overkill I guess.

Love my 450 Marlin. Nikon Slughunter mounted on it. Never a problem.

Here in New Hampshire a 400 yard shot is only had on a power line! New Hampshire is about 80 percent hardwood Forrest!

Yup, but in the Midwest and farm belts, shots can be much longer when hunting over agricultural fields. Hunting over a bean field or cut corn can sometimes mean long shots. Where some might think that the hunter should just get closer, that can be completely impossible.
I would imagine hunting over a prairie might require longer shots, yet the way the hunter has to hunt is much different than hunting heavy timber or agricultural fields with small woodlots.

Yup, but in the Midwest and farm belts, shots can be much longer when hunting over agricultural fields. Hunting over a bean field or cut corn can sometimes mean long shots. Where some might think that the hunter should just get closer, that can be completely impossible.
I would imagine hunting over a prairie might require longer shots, yet the way the hunter has to hunt is much different than hunting heavy timber or agricultural fields with small woodlots.

Very true!
That kind of hunting to me is completely foreign.
A common hunting method here in northern New Hampshire or northern Maine is tracking, miles of tracking and running shots through timber is the norm.

Born and raised in the prairies of Southern Saskatchewan and Alberta, I will know about “wide open fields,” some of which may actually extend a 2 full miles without break by road, fence or trees. GPS farming and 40’ headers are common. Basically flat with only subtle rolling hills. Loooong shots can be taken for sure, however it is ultimately the shooter who makes the decision to shoot. Just because your deer is standing way out there does not mean shoot at it. You have the option to learn better techniques to position yourself for the next hunt in a more suitable location for a substantially more ethical shot. There is never anything wrong with having the compassion for your quarry to make the most ethically, clean kill as is possible rather than giving into the fear of possible failure to have a “successful” hunt or basic human greed to claim that monster rack.
Walk

Born and raised in the prairies of Southern Saskatchewan and Alberta, I will know about “wide open fields,” some of which may actually extend a 2 full miles without break by road, fence or trees. GPS farming and 40’ headers are common. Basically flat with only subtle rolling hills. Loooong shots can be taken for sure, however it is ultimately the shooter who makes the decision to shoot. Just because your deer is standing way out there does not mean shoot at it. You have the option to learn better techniques to position yourself for the next hunt in a more suitable location for a substantially more ethical shot. There is never anything wrong with having the compassion for your quarry to make the most ethically, clean kill as is possible rather than giving into the fear of possible failure to have a “successful” hunt or basic human greed to claim that monster rack.
Walk

Excellent Post! One of the best Posts i have read in a LONG TIME!! As you guy’s clearly see in my Videos, Targets, etc. I am VERY capable of Long Range Shooting, But i keep it on Targets, I have more Respect for the Game i hunt than to “Try” and Take them a Country Mile away. To me, 400 Yards is a LONG Shot at Big Game, Yet also a Range Where i am VERY Comfortable Cleanly taking Big Game, All day, any day. But even at 400 Yards EVERYTHING Has to Be Right, No Wind, Calm Animal, etc. We owe it to the Big Game Animals we pursue to Take them as Cleanly, and Humanely as Possible

Last edited:
For those knowledgeable with long range shooting and hunting, under the right conditions 400yds is no problem. 400yds scares people because most don't have the equipment and knowledge of long range shooting/hunting. Scares most when 200yds are mentioned.
It would surprise most everyone the numbers of deer and elk that were taken just this fall, at ranges much further than 400yds, with a number pushing 800yds. With BH209 and not SML.
Yeah, if there's the possibility of getting closer, get closer. But, have the equipment, including the scope if shots are to be long.

For those knowledgeable with long range shooting and hunting, under the right conditions 400yds is no problem. 400yds scares people because most don't have the equipment and knowledge of long range shooting/hunting. Scares most when 200yds are mentioned.
It would surprise most everyone the numbers of deer and elk that were taken just this fall, at ranges much further than 400yds, with a number pushing 800yds. With BH209 and not SML.
Yeah, if there's the possibility of getting closer, get closer. But, have the equipment, including the scope if shots are to be long.
It wouldn’t surprise me actually, not at all. After all several television hunting shows push extreme range centerfire, muzzleloader and archery shots anymore. Its a whole new market, thats the long and short of it.
I wonder though, how many are wounded and either suffer, or lost to the slightest error in that unknown variable of the wind gust, animal step, unseen blade of grass, etc, etc?
Walk

It wouldn’t surprise me actually, not at all. After all several television hunting shows push extreme range centerfire, muzzleloader and archery shots anymore. Its a whole new market, thats the long and short of it.
I wonder though, how many are wounded and either suffer, or lost to the slightest error in that unknown variable of the wind gust, animal step, unseen blade of grass, etc, etc?
Walk

I guess the question of wounded will always be there. I get a kick out of the guys that claim that 'The round ball has killed more deer than...……..' No argument, but how many were wounded and never recovered, even well within range?
Long range shooting of modern inline rifles, has really gained much interest of late. Others who have perfected it quite well, are while passing on valuable information and lessons to others. A very good example of that can be found right on this forum in a sticky. Its not something everyone wants, and certainly those who intend to shoot long range should put in many hours and rounds at the range.
Back to scopes...…….. it all depends on what conditions the shooter/hunter has.

The longest shot I have ever had on a deer in 31 years of hunting has been 120 yards! Which is no surprise hunting in the vast forest of northern New England.

My longest shot at an elk was 105 meters, measured by GPS. That is why I hunted this year with my .50 GPH and 370gr Maxiball. Worked just fine at 26 paces broadside!
Walk

My closest was 7 yards
My closest elk, a nice little 5x5 bull, was 3 paces with my bow at ground level. This after he proceeded to trash the alder bush I was crouched behind, with antler tips coming very close to my parts, bugling directly over my head and spraying on me during his chuckle.
Oh... this was also my first ever elk, and a memory that will never leave!
Walk

RIGHT HERE is what i would do if i were in the Market for another Scope!! GM54 Pointed me toward these, Go check out their Reviews, This is DEFINITELY a Scope I would LOVE to Try! I would have bought one of these after my 1,000 Dollar Vortex Viper FAILED, Broke internally. But i ended up getting a SMOKIN Good deal on a Nightforce NXS, I couldn’t pass that up!!

Vortex isn’t even an Option to me anymore, that includes ALL makes/Models of them, I have personally seen FIRST HAND Failures, and Watched Enough BAD on them, I might have been born at night, But it WASN’T Last night! NO WAY would i Spend a 1,000 Bucks AGAIN on another Vortex!! I wouldn’t have another Scope with the Vortex Name on it!!

VORTEX Definition: a mass of whirling fluid or air, especially a whirlpool or whirlwind. Sounds a like a Toilet Flushing, Perfect Place for Vortex :lewis:

I would get 1 of these SWFA Scopes, like i said above, Go read reviews, and Watch a Few Vids, These things look like the REAL DEAL :lewis:
What I love about my Vortex scopes is the fact that I move 1” and it goes 4”. Yeah Nikon gets my vote for best bang for the buck. Couple hundred bucks gets a decent scope. I’ve had great luck with mine. Gotta checkout these SWFA though. Gonna do that now!

I have tried Bushnell scopes in the past. They failed for me with the only exception being an Elite 3200. It was tough as nails! I have all Leupold now and one Zeiss.
Walk
My Leupold Vari x II on my 7mm Rem Mag almost cost me a once-in-a-lifetime Utah moose. It moved 18” to the left, all on its own. Just sitting there in the gun safe. 100 yards standing broadside, I hit him twice about 3” apart, right in the guts. The Vari X I I have on my .223 BLR did the same thing. Missed a coyote at 30 yards, horribly, right off the side of the road. Found a beer can on the side of the road and took a shot at it, at about 50 yards and I missed 12” low.Couldn’t believe it... These two guns had never been dropped or bumped and were in soft cases in the gun safe. I know lots of guys love them but, I will never buy another leupold.. My Nikon’s I have on my muzzleloaders have been all over Gods creation in the rack on my 4 wheeler, and never lost their zero.

Sure wouldnt know that by looking at the piles of Nikon and Burris refurbs on Natchez. Those 2 brands amount to around 80%-90% of all refurbs on Natchez. Not that it matters much anymore. Nikon is done making and selling scopes. Good luck with any warranty before much longer. ATM i would not give them %50 off the best deal i can find on a Black series. You can bet they will be selling for close to that before they are gone.

I will be waiting for one to hit $200 and snatch it up.

Sure wouldnt know that by looking at the piles of Nikon and Burris refurbs on Natchez. Those 2 brands amount to around 80%-90% of all refurbs on Natchez. Not that it matters much anymore. Nikon is done making and selling scopes. Good luck with any warranty before much longer. ATM i would not give them %50 off the best deal i can find on a Black series. You can bet your butt they will be selling for close to that before they are gone.

I will be waiting for one to hit $200 and snatch it up.
I wasn’t aware they are no longer making scopes. I also wasn’t aware they hand so many returns on their scopes. Maybe they are junk. I have 4 of the 3x9 BDC Tactical’s ( think that’s what they call it) and have had good luck with them. It’s kind of a Chevy, Ford, Dodge thing I guess. We have bad luck with one brand and won’t buy another, good luck with the other brand and we’ll buy that brand the next time.... At least, that’s how I am. That’s why I have 4 Whites, I keep buying different brands of Muzzys but year after year, I hunt with one of my Whites

Latest posts

Back