Muzzleloader scopes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're going to get a lot of different opinions on this one. Everybody likes what they like. It's not necessary to buy a dedicated ML scope as many rifle scopes work fine. Personally I don't like BDC reticles. Most of my hunting shots are within 100yds. and a duplex does the job. Tactical scopes are not needed at ML distances imo.

What dragonfly said. I would add if you are going to be shooting stout loads, get a scope with plenty of eye relief, 3 3/4 to 4 inches.

A friend gave me a scope he couldn't use, I thought what the heck and mounted it on my Apex 45-70, which has since been converted to sml. It is a Konus Pro 3-9x50IR. It has held up to hundreds of shots. Not a bank breaker but a good scope for the money.

What’s everybody use for muzzleloader scope? Does anybody use a tactical style scope with Windage and elevation dials?
You might be surprised, but there are quite a few that turn turrets, especially long range shooters.
As a hunter, you most likely won't need to be making adjustments, given the range most game is taken. However if you plan on shooting long range (>200yds), then scope adjustment and ability is a good thing. I was never a proponent of cluttered reticles, until I started shooting long range.

Its been my experience buy the best you can afford because the low prices scopes will likely give you problems one way or another.
To zero my scopes and take variables out of shooting I use a shooting bench with a lead slide mounted rigidly.

With this setup all the recoil test the scopes ability to stay set. All the low cost scopes have jumped. All the more expensive ones stay set.
Plus the more expensive ones have better focusing capability and clear glass with
much better reticle detail.

I go with Nikon prostaff 3-9x50 nicoplex. nicople go with 50mm for hunting, u can find the animal so much faster thier around 200 dollars.. I have it on my gun, an my boy has the same u won't be disappointed

How does a 50mm objective help? It raises the scope height. Its not a 30mm tube, its a 1". Higher quality glass with a smaller objective will gather just as much light. FOV is the same as their 3x9x40s. Both have 33.8ft on lowest and 11.3ft on highest.

IMO the best way to answer the OP is to first know his price range. I would choose higher quality 40mm glass over a lower quality 50mm every time.

If i was looking at sub $300 Nikon it would be the Pro Staff 5 2.5x10x40 for the better eye relief and better FOV at 100 yards.
https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en....html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-TechSpecs

A scope that really stands out if you can still find one is the Vortex DiamondBack HP 3x12x42. Its a lot of scope for the money. Good eye relief, 90moa of adjustment and stellar customer service. Should be able to find one for under $300.
https://www.sportsmans.com/hunting/...s/vortex-diamondback-hp-rifle-scopes/p/p30416

Last edited:
I currently have a Bushnell elite 4 - 12 on my mighty Knighty Bighorn. I normally shoot up to 100 yds here in PA and possibly do not need 12 power but man I like it. Would I go to another scope, possibly but right now you could only have my Bushnell elite if you took it from my cold dead hands. I bought this scope a bunch of years ago and it has seen service on my 270, 7mm mag and now my Knight and I love it.

Bushnell no longer offers Elites except for Tacticals and those puppies are expensive. The main drawback to the older Elites is short eye relief. Otherwise they are fine scopes made in Japan. The earlier 3200s were arguably better than the later 3500s. Both were made in Japan but the older Elites (3200/4200)were a better scope than the 3500s IMO. The upper end Elite from that time period 4200 IIRC were exceptional for the money. The 6500 was even better but the cost was getting up there too.

Last edited:
Its been my experience buy the best you can afford because the low prices scopes will likely give you problems one way or another.
To zero my scopes and take variables out of shooting I use a shooting bench with a lead slide mounted rigidly.

With this setup all the recoil test the scopes ability to stay set. All the low cost scopes have jumped. All the more expensive ones stay set.
Plus the more expensive ones have better focusing capability and clear glass with
much better reticle detail.

IMHO this is very good advice. Buy the highest quality glass you can afford.

I have several Nikon Inline XR's (now Prostaff 3 Muzzleloader), Leupold and Vortex. All are 3-9x40mm I like them all, but my favorite are the Nikon's. Best bang for the buck from my point of view.

I live out west, and I used a 2x7x33 Leupold Compact for years, even on high powered rifles. When you hike a lot, a light weight scope matters. Leupold aslo has great eye relief. After I almost took a 400 yard shot with my centerfire, I decided to upgrade to a 3x9 or 3.5x10. If you stand hunt, and need the last minute of the season to hunt, then a bigger objective might help. I made a shot in the last 5 minutes of the hunt once, and my 2.5x8x40 Leupold VX-3 worked fine. I like the Ballistic Reticle scopes for exact holdover, but I've shot my muzzleloader out to 300 yards without it. You just have to practice with it at those ranges. Be aware Nikon only warrants their scopes to original owner with receipt and warranty card. I have one with a broken reticle. Only thing I've had go wrong on a Leupold in 30 years is I lost the adjustment cap. They sent me a new one for free.

Putting it simply, i would rather have a 3x9x40 Viper than a DiamondBack 3.5x10x50.

Which one do you think it going to gather more light and have a better picture? There is a big difference in the glass quality and you can get that Viper for less than $100 more.

$279
https://www.sportsmans.com/camping-...s-red-dots/vortex-viper-rifle-scopes/p/p12654

Im not suggesting the Viper or the DB its just an example. Buy the better glass. Forget the objective size over 40mm-42mm. There are deals out there. VX3i's for $299. Now that is a great scope for a ML and great glass for that price range. Diamondback HP for $199 but those are very heavy scopes. You get Viper quality glass though for that price.

"How does a 50mm scope help?"

Short answer is "Larger exit pupil"

Good article on scopes here:

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/optics_opticpupil_061907/100357

Personally my hunting situations rarely give me shots over 150yds. Typically closer to 30 or 50yds. I like simple rugged scopes in these situations, so I choose fixed 4 power scopes or low power variables I leave on 3 to 4 power... with 40mm objective lenses. That gives me great low light performance and large forgiving exit pupils for quick shots. If I Ned to take a long shot I can dial the power up on some, or on the fixed just know that the deer will be a bit smaller.

My 450 bushmaster ar15s all get 3-9x50mm scopes because the standard AR mounts let me do it without having a scope that is too high for a good cheek weld. I set those on 3 to 4 power too as I walk to the stand... Then dial them up for long shots if needed and light allows (as you dial power up your exit pupil shrinks and in low light the sight picture is dark)

Some Grand Slams are back on sale too
https://outdoors.natchezss.com/bestsellers/Weaver-Grand-Slam-Scopes

Last paragraph from your link.
One cautionary note regarding the exit pupil. There is no correlation between the size of a scope's exit pupil and overall optical quality. Some superb scopes have small exit pupils and some real dogs have very large ones. Exit-pupil calculation is a useful tool in selecting scopes, but it isn't the whole toolbox. You should consider everything and then ultimately believe your own eyes.

In short, some cheaper models are going to larger objectives instead of using better quality glass. Its how they keep them cheaper. Ive used a couple 2x7s but they have been less than 40mm obj. They are ok but a 2x7x40 really shines if you can find one with good eye relief. Field of view on a 2x7x40 at 100 yards is great for getting on target fast. The only one i have though has a pitiful 3" or less eye relief.

I use a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 on my Elite. I usual sight in(check zero) set at 3 or 4 pwr, then leave it alone. I have cranked up a few times while hunting.

I personally don’t care for a ‘busy’, reticle, multiple hash-marks. I have used the Burris Plex a handful of times, was ok. Most of my shots are 50-125 yards, for that I just hold on the vitals. I sight in dead on at 75 yards. At most I may just hold a little higher on fur for longer shots. I don’t have interest at shooting over 200 yards.

Where I hunt in IL, wounding wall-hangers, then losing them, is a big no-no.

Latest posts

Back