Muzzleloader scopes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldnt call them junk but i hate their BDC with the circles. Ive got a old Omega 3x9x40. The 5" of relief can make it harder to mount on some rifles like my Super DISC. The Black line have a more typical 4-3.6" of relief and tactical style BDCs. Nikon had so few Nikoplex models to choose from. That would be my main complaint. They used that stinking BDC on nearly everything.

When i look at a $700 Black series made in the Philippines, i got to wonder why it cost so much. There are many good $700 Japanese made scopes and Nikon is a Japanese company. Sightron makes all their upper end models in Japan and owns the plant in the Philippines for the lower end models too. SWFA SS 3x15x42 FFP is around $700 and made at one of the better plants in Japan. Upper end Weavers can be had for the same and made at the Light Optical Works plant. So you can see why i just wont pay what they are asking even at half off. Its not about junk or not...Its about the value for my dollar and other scopes that have a great track record for durability for the same money.

SMOKIN DEAL BOYS!!!!

I got it bad after passing up the one on Amazon for $100 more. I was not gunna pass up this baby for $350 delivered. Grabbed a box of them Speer 260s while i was at it. The Razor HD line are Japanese made and have HD glass. The LH is for light hunter so they are not a pig of a scope. Great eye relief too.
https://www.sportsmans.com/camping-...r-hd-lh-2-10x40mm-rifle-scope-hsr-4/p/1529171

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-razor-hd-lh-2-10x40.html?vortex_reticle=840
vortex-razor-lh-3-15x42-hsr-4-bdc-moa-reticle.jpg

Last edited:
Wow the warehouse sold out fast. They still have some left in stores. Mine shipped out of Cali yesterday so it should be here Friday. Other than the odd reticule this is exactly the kind of scope i wanted.

2x10....I really like 2x for low and moving upto a 2x10 gets somewhat expensive.
Nice HD glass
Around 16oz
3.8" of eye relief

Best of all. A $1000 MSRP scope with a street price around $800 for $350 shipped is flat out killer. :D

Wow your reticle measures a wopping 174cm. BIG scope! LOL

X2 0n the scope I've been looking for.
For the price agreed. I can live with the reticle too.

I do like a side focus though.
Got my eye on Athlon Midas HMR 600A 2.5-15 x 50 for future purchase.
I generally stay away from relatively new brands.
Hope I'm not disappointed if I pull the trigger on it.

The HD LH 3x15x42 has the side focus but its also still over $800. I wanted this scope for my NULA mainly. Eye relief is nearly the same as my Redfield and its a 1" so i wont need new Talley rings/bases. Ive got 2 rifles with the same Redfield 2x7s on them. Both are light weight rigs and finding a light 2x10 with good glass does not leave you with many options. They get very expensive fast. Most are way out of my price range. My eyes are not getting any better and the 7x was beginning to push it at 150yds. Thats about as far as im comfortable shooting with them. So the scope is ideal other than the reticle. IMO its a much nicer scope than the Viper HS 2.5x10x44 and i dont have the added cost of a set of 30mm rings.

That Viper though is a good deal when Midway has the $249.99 sales on them. They have the 4x16x44 V-Plex on sale now for $299.99. Its just not much better than my DB HP 3x12x42.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020880099?pid=183809

I about died when i saw that price. I sat there for several minutes with my finger on the "complete transaction" button. All my info filled out and everything. Hit the button finally and it eventually errored. Then i realized i had to add my middle initial to the card name. Checked back today and you cant order one online anymore. :D In store only now and there are none near me.

Last edited:
Its been overcast since i got it and i got to say this scope is really bright. Reticle is very very sharp without any focus adjustment. Eye relief seems like its larger than advertised and seems constant from min to max. The surface coating on the scope is very hard. All adjustments are tight to the point i had to work them a bit to make them comfortable.

Cons
Clicks are not very clicky because its so tight right now.
Center crosshairs and vertical post are finer than i prefer.
No V-Plex option on any Razor.

Pros
Exactly what i wanted other than the reticle.
Much cheaper than anything else in its class/mag range. I would have loved a Minox ZA-5 HD when they blew them out for $350 but they are no longer around.
l4l0fRV.png

I’ve had a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 on my Omega for the past 12 years. It’s solid and don’t plan on changing it.

I’ve got a 4.5-14x50 Leupold VX3i waiting in the safe for the Paramount Pro I’m going to buy this year.

All my scopes have the duplex reticle.

Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40, excellent scopes for the money bright and clear, have 3 of them I think.. also Burris E3 3x9x40 with lighted dot reticle, no longer made but excellent scopes.. also have a couple Nikon 3x9 scopes I really like.
I believe Ive got 11 or 12 Burris scopes and no complaints about any of them.

Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40, excellent scopes for the money bright and clear, have 3 of them I think.. also Burris E3 3x9x40 with lighted dot reticle, no longer made but excellent scopes.. also have a couple Nikon 3x9 scopes I really like.
I believe Ive got 11 or 12 Burris scopes and no complaints about any of them.
X2 on the Burris. Have one that I have had on 3 previous muzzleloaders and just mounted on my new Accura V2. Has always held zero year after year. Probably buy another next year.

I hope this is the right place. I recently was gifted a nearly mint condition Knight MK85. I'd very much like to add a scope. This thing hits 100 yard groups with ease using the iron sites. I'd like to go out to maybe 300 yards or more. Can sombody recommend a scope that's suitable for this without breaking the bank? I'm also looking for a mounting system that would make the scope easy to remove and reinstall for cleaning of both the gun and the scope.
Any help would be awesome!
Neil

Attachments

• KIMG1660.JPG
    KIMG1660.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 8
I’ve had a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 on my Omega for the past 12 years. It’s solid and don’t plan on changing it.

I’ve got a 4.5-14x50 Leupold VX3i waiting in the safe for the Paramount Pro I’m going to buy this year.

All my scopes have the duplex reticle.
I have a paramount 2019 model. My barrel is gettin threaded now. CVA recommends atleast a X16 scope be used on the paramount. After watching Mike Deming @ SportsmansWarehouse video of him taking a new paramount out to 730yds & what conclusion he came to regarding a more suitable scope for it. Then shows why. In MML there is a paramount pro thread & a long going & ever growing CVA Paramount Update page. Lots n lots of fantastic info from guys shooting them. Kind regards

I use a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 on my Elite. I usual sight in(check zero) set at 3 or 4 pwr, then leave it alone. I have cranked up a few times while hunting.

I personally don’t care for a ‘busy’, reticle, multiple hash-marks. I have used the Burris Plex a handful of times, was ok. Most of my shots are 50-125 yards, for that I just hold on the vitals. I sight in dead on at 75 yards. At most I may just hold a little higher on fur for longer shots. I don’t have interest at shooting over 200 yards.

Where I hunt in IL, wounding wall-hangers, then losing them, is a big no-no.

Just ordered a Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 for it.

I have Nikon P scopes rifle on the 3x9x40 knight orange disc, 2x7x32? Shotgun hunters in the marlin 512 slug and slug hunter 3x9x40 on savage 220 slug rifle I know they make a muzzle loader scope but for eye relief the slug hunter is best of Nikon. If I were buying a new scope for my imaginary Elk rifle I’d look at Voretex for warranty and USA made. If they have one that offers good eye relief I’d buy over Nikon. I was not impressed with what came out a couple years ago from Nikons lower end of scopes. We all know what comes out of the lower end.
One thing I noticed on my Vortex (Diamondback 4-12) scopes, mounted to my Whites, was I ran out of elevation before I could get the group DOWN to zero at 100 yards. Had to put a beer can shim under the scope on the front (I think) ring. The Nikons seemed to be pretty close, a half turn or so and I had them zeroed.

I hope this is the right place. I recently was gifted a nearly mint condition Knight MK85. I'd very much like to add a scope. This thing hits 100 yard groups with ease using the iron sites. I'd like to go out to maybe 300 yards or more. Can sombody recommend a scope that's suitable for this without breaking the bank? I'm also looking for a mounting system that would make the scope easy to remove and reinstall for cleaning of both the gun and the scope.
Any help would be awesome!
Neil
I know I’m old school, and not quite current on all the new scopes and mounts. I’ve ALWAYS, except for one gun, used weaver bases and quick detach rings. Never had a zero move when taking the scope off to clean. All you need is a quarter in your pocket to quickly remove it in the field if you happen to drop it and mess up the scope, you can use the factory sights, provided they’re still attached.

I know I’m old school, and not quite current on all the new scopes and mounts. I’ve ALWAYS, except for one gun, used weaver bases and quick detach rings. Never had a zero move when taking the scope off to clean. All you need is a quarter in your pocket to quickly remove it in the field if you happen to drop it and mess up the scope, you can use the factory sights, provided they’re still attached.
I have a Knight MK85 so I contacted Knight directly about a scope base. They told me they "don't make them for that rifle anymore and they're quite rare.
They didn't bother to mention any other brand of scope base that would work.
I love the idea of using QR scope rings to. The rifle is in exceptionally good condition given its age.im really interested in exploiting the capabilities of the gun at the range.

Back