Muzzleloader scopes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought an Accura MR with a Leupold Grand Slam scope. I've never had a problem with Leupold scopes. They hold zero, can take recoil really good, good clear glass, very light, and an unbeatable warranty. Good enough for me.

TBs Hi Lux scope has one huge negative for me.....only about 3.4" of eye relief.

Crank it up to 9x and its under 3"
Eye Relief: 3.40”–2.72”

That short of a eye relief just wont work for me on anything with more recoil than something like a 243Win. It can also be problematic with mounting depending on the rifle and mounts you are using. Several of the Loopies that will work are around 3.7-4.2" of relief. When it comes to MLs that is a far more user friendly range.

Another feature of a good scope is a generous eye relief box. Not sure what to call it. I'm talking about a scope that's hard to keep centered. Move a little forward or back and also side to side and get the black ring. Not something you want while lining up a shot a good animal. Leupold's have a generous eye box and I can get a sight picture fast and stay on it.

I think you are referring to exit pupil “EDIT “ nope not referring to exit pupil. Eye box relief is a totally different animal. I just spoke too soon without researching.

Last edited:
Will a variable power rifle scope with a fixed eye relief at 3.5"-3.74" work with a 80-100 grain Swiss ffg black powder charge, a .54 caliber lubed wool wad, and a lubed, .50 caliber, 400 grain conical bullet?

For me, 3.5" would be the minimum im comfortable using. All my current scopes are in the 3.7-4.2 range besides my Nikon Omega that im not all that fond of. Its just a bit too much relief for the rifle its on without buying a new rail for it. Good scope though for rifles like the T/C Strike.

I think you are referring to exit pupil

Exit pupil is calculated based on magnification and objective size. Eye relief is not. You can have 2 3x9x40 scopes with a large difference in relief and eye box quality. Exit pupil however will be the same because its just an equation.

Had that scope on my Redemption and it performed flawlessly. Good for the money. Now I keep it in case I have trouble with another scoped gun.
Yes works flawlessly. But I took mine off and went with a plex because im dealing with cataracts and the plex is easier for me to pick up. DOA is a great scope adjustments have always been precise and keeps zero. Can`t ask for much better.

Just bought a 2019 CVA Paramount and looking for recommendations for rail, scope and rings. I am VERY partial to Vortex scopes.. Yes I know this is a loaded question but still want to know thoughts. Thanks!

I think any Rem700 short action rail fits those. Do you want steel or 7075? I think our sponsor Arrowhead is now offering a nice affordable Rem700 rail. I think it was made from 7075 and picatinny. Its about the same price as the other 7075 rails but may have additional features.

If using 7075 i would go with Contessa Light weights on the cheaper end or Seekins in the mid-upper end. The Contessa are a great value at EuroOptics. I think Arrowhead had a sale on the Seekins but im not sure.

In steel rails, just go for the Murphy and be done with it. They are $125 but made from 17-4 SS. I dont think you will find a better steel picatinny rail for close to that price.

Watch for deals at MidwayUSA on the Vortex Viper HS. Ive seen the 4x16x44 sell for as low as $250-$299. If you got the cash look at the new Razor HDs LHT or a older LH. The glass is super nice on the Razors but you are getting in the same price range as a NightForce too. There are still some of the older Razor HD LHs out there for a good savings but the new LHT is solid into the NightForce price range of $1000.

Highlander if you can deal with just a fixed power scope that is super tough, checkout SWFA SS. They have a line of 6x to 20x fixed power scopes at around $300. Very good value for a scope that tracts well and tolerates recoil. They are all made in Japan and they are super similar to the US military contract scopes made for ages. They sell a variable too but you will be into the $700 range.
http://swfa-ss.com/products/scopes/swfa-ss

What dragonfly said. I would add if you are going to be shooting stout loads, get a scope with plenty of eye relief, 3 3/4 to 4 inches.
Yes you ainta kiddin abit there HC. I am so dang glad I set my Paramount up with a Vortex Viper 5-25x50 30mm IRMOA on DNZ 1pc Game Reaper mount with Plenty of eye relief or I absolutely would have been gettin some crescent moon stitches for sure the first time I pulled the trigger with a 105grW BH 209 & 280gr ELR. WOW.

i
Just bought a 2019 CVA Paramount and looking for recommendations for rail, scope and rings. I am VERY partial to Vortex scopes.. Yes I know this is a loaded question but still want to know thoughts. Thanks!
Highlander90
I put a DNZ 1 piece Game Reaper
Mount right to my Paramount
( Rem 700 SA ) receiver. NO RAIL NEEDED & looks great. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 18
200 is long way for some from 100 , so why not be sure and dial the moa on a scope that works , to answer question yes a tactical works fine. There is no such thing to me as a Muzzle Loader scope something industry dreamed up for sales pitch

I like mine for the money. I got the 3x12x42 for the Mountaineer 1-20 mainly because the 4x16s in a plex were long gone. The MOA reticle though aint bad. Not nearly as cluttered as some.

Latest posts

Back