Muzzleloader storage

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moly sticks to everything like mad. Ive got some moly paste if you get it on your hands you wont be washing it off. It will have to wear off. I used it in/on my final drive on a motorcycle i had with shaft drive.
I remember that !!!

Guys what happens if a fella uses hoppes#9 with say pyrodex ??? Actually saw this done before .Made me nervous !!! Guy wouldnt listen to not do it .Anybody know ???

Last edited:
A couple of years ago, sprayed this stuff into the innards of an Omega, and a breech loader. A month or two later, it was discovered the actions/triggers didn't work properly. Investigation revealed the stuff had turned into something resembling gelled snot. It was quite difficult to remove the gelled stuff from inside the actions. These days it is only used on the hitch ball or similar tasks.

IMG_4379.JPG

LPS #3 , i believe , will also be good long term . Sorry i dont know/remember how to share a link

I dont know about you but my kitchen and the smells coming out of it are driving me wild with anticipation !!!! Fat boy likes to eat !!! Lol !!! Hopeing ALL are able to spend today with family and friends . I enjoy my time here with all of you , especially today . Its a very good one here today !!!
Lpslabs.com , maker of lps#3 , has a few different products that look promiseing . Ive never used them on a mz before but the lps#3 protected bare steel raceing engine parts with excellance for years . No rust at all . Sprays on wet and kinda foamy and dries to a grease/wax state . Of course most all these lubes in the barrel will need to be thouroghly cleaned up &out before using the rifle again . This would be a possibility for long term storage . Its really good stuff , but clean up will be quite messy . Id use mineral spirits .

The problem with Teflon (Not sure about Moly? But i’d bet the same, probably even worse?) Is if you Fire the Rifle with it wet in the Bore.

The above is a NON ISSUE to me as i make sure my Bores are DRY/CLEAN Before Loading, i would NEVER fire ANY Rifle, be it a Muzzleloader, or Centerfire Rifle with an Oiled Bore, That just makes NO SENSE to me?? Though I know Folks that do this, I am not one of them!! I don’t use ANY form of Oil/lube in my Centerfires, ONLY my Muzzleloaders.

A friend of mine (Ron Cinema) and owner of Benchmark Barrels WARNED Me years ago about using Rem Oil (Teflon) in the Bore of my Rifles, Ron told me the Problem is if you Fire your Rifle with it Stil in the Bore, He described it as “Caramelized” And STUCK, WELDED to the Bore. There is an OLD Photo of Ron Floating Around on the Net of him Cleaning a Bore that had been Shot Wet with Remoil, He told me he was Cussing it :D Ron said it was FINE TO USE, and does a GREAT Job of Protecting, Just make sure you Swab it out BEFORE FIRING the Rifle. I have taken his advice to the T from years ago, And have NEVER HAD A PROBLEM :lewis:

The problem with Teflon (Not sure about Moly? But i’d bet the same, probably even worse?) Is if you Fire the Rifle with it wet in the Bore.

The above is a NON ISSUE to me as i make sure my Bores are DRY/CLEAN Before Loading, i would NEVER fire ANY Rifle, be it a Muzzleloader, or Centerfire Rifle with an Oiled Bore, That just makes NO SENSE to me?? Though I know Folks that do this, I am not one of them!! I don’t use ANY form of Oil/lube in my Centerfires, ONLY my Muzzleloaders.

A friend of mine (Ron Cinema) and owner of Benchmark Barrels WARNED Me years ago about using Rem Oil (Teflon) in the Bore of my Rifles, Ron told me the Problem is if you Fire your Rifle with it Stil in the Bore, He described it as “Caramelized” And STUCK, WELDED to the Bore. There is an OLD Photo of Ron Floating Around on the Net of him Cleaning a Bore that had been Shot Wet with Remoil, He told me he was Cussing it :D Ron said it was FINE TO USE, and does a GREAT Job of Protecting, Just make sure you Swab it out BEFORE FIRING the Rifle. I have taken his advice to the T from years ago, And have NEVER HAD A PROBLEM :lewis:
Good advice !!!! My cf id sight in and make sure afterwards of its zero on a clean dry bore . I hate hunting with a dirty barrel . Thats just me .

Idaholewis have you ever seen amyone use hoppe's #9 on a mz shooting pyrodex . He said it was a gun cleaner so whats the difference . Scared me !!!!

The ABSOLUTE Worst stuff i have EVER used is Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner “Accuracy Oil” (Just a Mineral oil) it should be Named “SNAKE OIL” I HAD a Bottle of it, After a VERY SHORT test, it found a Trip to the Garbage Can!! I went through my entire gun safe, Scrubbed everything out, and Re did them with this Montana Extreme Stuff, I checked back in a Week, maybe 2 Weeks? My Blued Barrels were Showing a “Tinge” of Brown Rust?? I had to go back through EVERYTHING, Swab them out Good, and Re Coat With Rem-Oil, Hoppes Elite T3, Now they are FULLY Protected again :lewis:

A friend of mine had the EXACT same thing happen with Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner, He actually warned me to Check mine, I’m thankful he warned me!

Taken from Product.
Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner is specially formulated to enhance the performance of precision match-grade barrels. It is a highly refined, low residue oil created to resist the high pressures and friction that shorten barrel life and limit accuracy. Regular use after a thorough cleaning will help reduce copper fouling and protect the bore from the elements during storage. Its ultra-refined “Group Tamer” formula limits the need for first round fouling shots after cleaning, making it the ideal accuracy lubricant for hunters and law enforcement professionals.

The ABSOLUTE Worst stuff i have EVER used is Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner “Accuracy Oil” (Just a Mineral oil) it should be Named “SNAKE OIL” I HAD a Bottle of it, After a VERY SHORT test, it found a Trip to the Garbage Can!! I went through my entire gun safe, Scrubbed everything out, and Re did them with this Montana Extreme Stuff, I checked back in a Week, maybe 2 Weeks? My Blued Barrels were Showing a “Tinge” of Brown Rust?? I had to go back through EVERYTHING, Swab them out Good, and Re Coat With Rem-Oil, Hoppes Elite T3, Now they are FULLY Protected again :lewis:

A friend of mine had the EXACT same thing happen with Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner, He actually warned me to Check mine, I’m thankful he warned me!

Taken from Product.
Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner is specially formulated to enhance the performance of precision match-grade barrels. It is a highly refined, low residue oil created to resist the high pressures and friction that shorten barrel life and limit accuracy. Regular use after a thorough cleaning will help reduce copper fouling and protect the bore from the elements during storage. Its ultra-refined “Group Tamer” formula limits the need for first round fouling shots after cleaning, making it the ideal accuracy lubricant for hunters and law enforcement professionals.
Thats a shame . People that market garbage like that need a whoopin !!! Bare bottomed and in public .

Taken from Product.
Lewis on post #66 i asked a question in the 2nd half that i think is perfect for you . Folks need to read what you say about it . Guys actually do this !!!

Last edited:
There's a few of us on the board that use Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner without a single issue. Trust me, nobody takes any better care of their firearms than I do and its never given me an issue of any kind.
Put what you want in your bore and on the other metal parts of your rifle. But, just because something didn't work for one, doesn't mean its not perfect for someone else. Kind of like BH209 ;)

There's a few of us on the board that use Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner without a single issue. Trust me, nobody takes any better care of their firearms than I do and its never given me an issue of any kind.
Put what you want in your bore and on the other metal parts of your rifle. But, just because something didn't work for one, doesn't mean its not perfect for someone else. Kind of like BH209 ;)
Well one thing is for sure not all outcomes are the same !!! This is kinda puzzleing for sure to us reading . Any ideas as to why ?? Powder reactions maybe ??? Definitely confusing !!! Why would it cause rust in his and not yours ???

Last edited:
Well nobody has responded back . I dunno...... Seems like it should work the same for all to me . Must be the difference in powders chemical compositions and resulting leftover traces ?? Somethings going on !!! Still confused ......
I dont know the answer so maybe another person does......HELP !!!!

How many of you that use it, are putting it in Blued Bores?

EVERY single Blued barrel i own Showed a Slight Tinge of Rust when i patched them Dry to Check, Did i do something Wrong with ALL OF Blued Rifles George? This is the ONLY Garbage i have EVER had do that! The fella that Warned me (1874Sharpsshooter) Went Through ALL of his Stuff and had Rust as well. Hmmmmmm.....??? Maybe we got Bad Batches? And you got the Good Stuff :D

I use it in one blued barrel but thats a smokeless sabot only shooter. All the others are SS. MX and Ballistol are nearly the same. MX uses a type of monobutyl ether for the solvent and Ballistol uses a type of alcohol (Isobutyl Alcohol). Both are mostly light mineral oil.

I usually clean with my SENT CLP then run a patch of the MX so there is some residual CLP in the bore im sure.

Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner is not recommended for LONG TERM storage, So what is it actually good for? It’s a HIGH dollar mineral Oil ;) BUT WAIT!! There’s more! It’s an “Accuracy Oil” LOLOL!! Give me a Break!!

I use it in one blued barrel but thats a smokeless sabot only shooter. All the others are SS. MX and Ballistol are nearly the same. MX uses a type of monobutyl ether for the solvent and Ballistol uses a type of alcohol (Isobutyl Alcohol). Both are mostly light mineral oil.

I usually clean with my SENT CLP then run a patch of the MX so there is some residual CLP in the bore im sure.
GM54--120 , do you know if there is a chemical reaction that takes place when hoppe's #9 is used on a pyrodex fouled bore . I dont want anybody to do this and pull a nightmare out of the closet later on . Thanks in advance .

I have no clue how anyone else stores their firearms.

My firearms are always in a humidity controlled environment and in a safe. I use Montana in the bores of all my firearms, including blued firearms, including expensive shotguns and some CF rifles that I have. I don't shoot black powder, although I have 5 or 6lbs of it unopened on the shelf. At minimum twice a year all my firearms are removed from the safe and lubricated rather used or not. Its called preventative maintenance.
When I clean a rifle, its clean and perfectly dry of anything and everything. I will use twice as many clean dry patches even after the bore is clean that is actually needed, including all other metal parts, wiped down completely dry.
Everything is then lubricated entirely and liberally.
As I mentioned in another post, there are times when I'll grab the Birchwood Casey, but that will only be used on the outside and not within the barrel.

GM54--120 , do you know if there is a chemical reaction that takes place when hoppe's #9 is used on a pyrodex fouled bore . I dont want anybody to do this and pull a nightmare out of the closet later on . Thanks in advance .

IIRC it forms a tar like material or sludge. Ballistol on the other hand was made during the transition from black powder to smokeless and will work for either but i would just clean using soap and water with real black and most subs. Following up with Ballistol or even WD40 to help get rid of any water in the bore before using a synthetic oil for storage.

Look at current milspec Rev F and NATO spec S-761 for higher end CLPs. If it passes those its probably good. Both specifically ban graphite and metal powders. I think S-761 bans all solids including moly and Teflon. Must be some reason you dont see the use of any of those things in the vast majority of current military grade CLPs?

My personal opinion is they dont help anything IN a bore but they can have negative effects. The US Marines proved it in M14s that used CLPs with Teflon. Outside the bore they could be great though as long as it not in a super high heat application like a full auto or semi auto firearm.

On a side note NO CLP i know of is a long term storage product. There are far better things for long term storage than the vast majority of CLPs. If using a CLP for storage its a good idea to check it and reapply some occasionally.

IIRC it forms a tar like material or sludge. Ballistol on the other hand was made during the transition from black powder to smokeless and will work for either but i would just clean using soap and water with real black and most subs. Following up with Ballistol or even WD40 to help get rid of any water in the bore before using a synthetic oil for storage.

Look at current milspec Rev F and NATO spec S-761 for higher end CLPs. If it passes those its probably good. Both specifically ban graphite and metal powders. I think S-761 bans all solids including moly and Teflon. Must be some reason you dont see the use of any of those things in the vast majority of current military grade CLPs?

My personal opinion is they dont help anything IN a bore but they can have negative effects. The US Marines proved it in M14s that used CLPs with Teflon. Outside the bore they could be great though as long as it not in a super high heat application like a full auto or semi auto firearm.
Thanks GM54--120 !!! Im hoping this thread is comprehensive enough to be considered a keeper for all types of storage and care for mz , short and long term . I appreciate your input for this goal .

Back