Muzzleloader vs Rifle Scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabin Fever

Reaction score
Is there a difference between "muzzleloader" and "rifle" scopes? I've been looking at Nikon P3's and noticed that some models say muzzleloader and others say rifle. Not sure if need to stick with a muzzleloader scope?

You can use a rifle scope. “Muzzleloader” specific scopes can sometimes mean things like it has a BDC reticle for use with usually pellets and a 250 grain savored bullet. Also on some “muzzleloader” scopes the parallax is adjusted to a shorter distance than a “rifle” scope.

So if I go with a Nikon P3 BCD rifle scope, there's no difference in using the BDC on my muzzleloader?

There is a difference in what the circles represent given the same load but the info is used the same. The muzzleloader scope has 5 inches of eye relief but less field of view, the rifle scope has 3.6 inches and more field of view, just depends on what you what. I take eye relief over field of view, but thats what I want, my targets at the range and in the field are static before I shoot so having a little more view doesn't matter to me. The scopes are close to being the same but there are some size and spec. differences.

NICDcN8.png

aqHrHRp.png

There is a difference in what the circles represent given the same load but the info is used the same. The muzzleloader scope has 5 inches of eye relief but less field of view, the rifle scope has 3.6 inches and more field of view, just depends on what you what. I take eye relief over field of view, but thats what I want, my targets at the range and in the field are static before I shoot so having a little more view doesn't matter to me. The scopes are close to being the same but there are some size and spec. differences.

NICDcN8.png

aqHrHRp.png

Wow! That's interesting. Any thoughts on why there's a difference between the two scopes? How close have you found the Spot On ballistics program to be vs. at the range?

I was kind of leaning towards the Nikon P3 BDC 4-12x rifle scope, because I prefer higher magnification scopes. Based on the differences that you posted between the muzzleloader and rifle BDC scopes with the Spot On program, I'm now reconsidering...

The rifle scope version is geared towards a wider variety of different caliber rifles. I wouldn't hesitate to use that rifle scope on my .22, , .223, or .243 but I wouldn't use it on my .45 cal. break action smokeless muzzleloader, it would probably smack me in the head and I absolutely hate that. The muzzleloader version scope has never kissed me.

I have two Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5-14x40 scopes on hard kicking smokeless muzzleloaders. I'm not sure how they would compare to a P3 but I do like the Prostaff 5's. The Spot-On program works very well as long as you input good numbers for the program to work with.

For me, eye relief is a concern so that's what I usually look at first. On my muzzleloaders, I won't buy anything less than 4 inches, that may change someday, but for now, it's what I like.

well they want to sell scopes. i have 4 nikons. they have served me well. I have a bdc on my .308 which is the only one i really dont care for different magnifications = different yardage. Besides i just cant adjust to the circle deal. I have a bushnell DOA on my CVA which to me is less a obtrusive reticle, works well for me. But being from the east shots over 100 yards dont happen often. Keeping it simple serves me well. Just my 2 cents. Good luck on your choice.

I have three Nikon rifle scopes and they all work great. I have one each on my two Whitelights and the other on my Tikka .270 Win. Two are 3x9 Pro Staff and the other is a Monarch fixed 4X. I like JIMY JAC hunter in the East and shoot most of my deer at 60 yards or less.

I have 3 Nikon 2.5 x 10 x 50 Monarch scopes. One on an Encore smoke pole, one on a .458 smokeless ML and one on a .300 mag. Great scopes that have served me well. I have many Leupolds too but the Nikons are my favorites. Always get the biggest objective you can. This determines exit pupil size. (objective diameter divided by power = exit pupil) The pupil of the human eye in marginal light is 5mm. When you get below that the scope alignment becomes "fussy" and the view appears darker as only part of your retina is exposed to the image. The Nikon BDC reticle has circles in the lower vertical cross hair for holdover instead of a regular cross. I like them as it's like using a peep sight. Some people don't like them. It's personal preference.

Latest posts

Back