My 50-70

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought maybe this would have interest for the group. I got into BPCR with a rifle that I found on Doc Whites web site a few years ago. It was a project rifle that he had started but lost interest in finishing. It’s a Remington Rolling Block that was chambered in 50-140. Yes you read that right. Anyhow I made a deal with Doc and purchased the rifle as is. It was barreled with a Douglas SS octagon 50 cal barrel and built up on a 7mm #5 action. The wood was from tree bone and Doc had fit it with a White Rifle rubber recoil pad. The rifle did not have an extractor and the wood was rough shaped. The for end was also rough fit. Once I received the rifle, I brought it to a local gun smith by the name John Taylor,of Taylor Machine Shop. He gave it the once over and we decided that the 50-70 round would be better suited for this build. He had to cut the barrel back and re chamber for the new cartridge. He fit the extractor and attempted to blue the barreled action. This is when we discovered the barrel was stainless. The action was blued and the barrel was dura coated black. I did the stock work from shaping to finish. The scope was added just a few months ago. The rifle was fitted with a Lyman globe and a MVA vernier tang sight as well. Fun little carbine for sure.

Attachments

• AE40E320-CB12-4BD7-9F2B-D303B90B6BF3.jpeg
    AE40E320-CB12-4BD7-9F2B-D303B90B6BF3.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 208
  • 5B8E4F41-D7B1-4458-A54D-284927B8AA7E.jpeg
    5B8E4F41-D7B1-4458-A54D-284927B8AA7E.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 206
  • 8BAE95EA-68BC-4C6D-A53C-4F53C7643B59.jpeg
    8BAE95EA-68BC-4C6D-A53C-4F53C7643B59.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 224
  • C393EC6E-68CE-4D82-AA82-3422108C6224.jpeg
    C393EC6E-68CE-4D82-AA82-3422108C6224.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 229
Nice looking carbine ! I think your gunsmith steered you in the right direction with the 50-70 round ,even Buffalo Bill thought it was plenty good enough for Buffalo.

Last edited:
That is a REALLY NICE Little Rifle HB :lewis: I remember when you were building this one, I stil have some pics of it, I have shown them to a Few folks around here.

Cool gun! I like it.

Beautiful stock - and I know tree bone aint cheap. You've got a chunk of change invested, I can tell.

Nice looking carbine ! I think your gunsmith steered you in the right direction with the 50-70 round ,even Buffalo Bill thought it was plenty good enough for Buffalo.
you never mentioned how it shoots.accuracy.

How does she shoot? Well I would caution..if you are a deer, I wouldn't just stand still at 100 yards very long ;) . This is a fun and accurate rifle to shoot. I use the 450 grain govt bullet (Lee Mold) over 65 grains (weight) Swiss ffg. My real problem is I've been messing around with different sight systems. I have gone from a MVA vernier tang sight with globe front, Mva Rough and Ready barrel sight with the Beach combo front, and now just starting to play with the 3x Malcomb scope. The scope set up is pretty cool for this carbine. I'm going to sight in for 100 and leave it. The mounts are not good for being repeatable for sight settings. I've got to be honest...I have been caught completely off guard with the whole primer/ammo shortage. I have to be very careful with my short supply. Shooting and load development has slowed to a crawl at best.

Thanks for the kind words. The 50-70 is a fun gun to shoot. Easy enough to load for as well. I’m still playing around with the scope. I’m not in love with the cheap mounts that came with it. I’m also cheap and not thrilled about spending hundreds of dollars on new scope mounts 😂

That is a real beauty. I would go back to the peep sight. It would have to be better than that small diameter scope and it also looks cooler

Back