My 8x7 CO Bull

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHardWay

Reaction score
I posted this over on another forum, but thought I'd share it here too...

After losing a wounded elk a few years ago, that should have been DRT, I told myself that I would never hunt with a muzzleloader again. Going against my own pricinciple, I decided to cash in my preference points in order to get a limited muzzleloader elk tag here in my home state. I changed up my ML setup which included switching from PowerBelts and Triple7 to Blackhorn 209 and Thor bullets, as well as purchasing a new Knight Ultra Light rifle. I put in the time practicing shooting the new gun, and was feeling good about the upcoming season.

Finally, opening morning of September 13th was here, and I was out before daybreak at my rock outlook. The elk were busy talking, and getting me pumped. I was busy glassing and picked up several elk, including a handful of great looking 6pt bulls that would surpass the 300” mark with ease. It was the first day, with lots of bulls spotted, so I decided to just keep glassing to see who was who and study each bull before deciding which one I wanted to pursue. I started glassing further and further away. I was looking over some terrain about 2.5 miles away when I spotted some elk. I saw some antler tips moving in the oak brush that caught my attention. I kept watching until he stepped out in order to get a better look. When he finally stepped out, I could see he was another good bull, even from that distance. Upon zooming in, I could see that he was a 7x7, with an inline point and another coming off of his g5, and had my full attention. The only problem is that he was on a piece of private ground, and I wouldn’t be able to make a move. I kept my scope on him the rest of the morning, while I continued to glass the bulls that I could actually hunt, hoping that just maybe he would work his way towards me. By 11o’clock, he had pushed his cows further to the North, away from me. Later on that day, during the evening hunt, I spotted him again, hanging out in the same area.

Glassing Rock

The next morning I was back out, and decided to check the area where I had seen him the day before, and sure enough, standing there in an opening in a sunspot, there he was. Not more than 50 yds away from where I saw him the day before. However, with the sun shining on his antlers, I was able to pick something out that I hadn’t noticed the day before. He actually had another extra point, making him a 7x8. I instantly became obsessed with this bull, but was frustrated that I couldn’t make a move. I continued to watch the bulls that I could chase and come up with a Plan B bull. Later in the morning, while keeping an eye on the 7x8, I spotted a bow hunter closing in on “my” bull. The hunter was closing in with an arrow knocked. I can’t be certain that he actually saw the bull or not, but I am positive he at least heard him bugling. The last I saw the hunter and bull were within 100 yds of each other and moving directly towards one another into some thick cover. That was it, I figured it was all over, and someone else was going to punch his tag on that brute. The following evening and entire next day, I didn’t see him, and this only worked to confirm my worst fears.

During one of my evening hunt stalks, I came upon a group of 4 grouse. Three of them exploded into flight scaring the crap of me. The last one just sat there about 8 feet away watching me from behind a shrub. I picked up a fist-sized rock and gave it an underhand toss. The rock went up, hit and overhanging scrub oak branch, and came down hitting the grouse directly in the head, and killing it. I couldn’t believe it, and looked around as if to see if there was anyone else around that just witnessed that! Here I thought a muzzleloader was a form of using a primitive weapon, but chucking rocks brings a whole new meaning to that. At least I wouldn’t go the entire hunt without some fresh meat!

I turned my attention to a great bull I had been watching, one that I could go after. He was a 6x7 frame, but had broken off one of his G2s. However, he had incredible beam and tine length. His G1s, remaining G2, and G3s went on for miles! He guessed he would still go 320-330. I hunted him hard for the next few days, without any success. Whenever I’d get close, I’d get busted by some cows or young bulls. I had several close encounters (60 yds or less) with some great 300+ bulls that could have easily brought my hunt to an end. I usually find a bull or two that I decide I want to pursue, and dedicate the season to hunting only those guys. If I haven’t closed the deal by the last day, I’ll take the last day and try to fill the tag. This year was no different in hunting only a select couple of bulls. The only difference is that I had blown all my elk preference points on this tag, and was going to hold out for my Plan A or Plan B bull, or go without this year.

On Wednesday morning I was able to spot the 7x8, again in the exact same spot! He was still alive! My hopes were up again, but at the same time I realized he was still inaccessible, so I was a little let down.

Wednesday evening it was pouring down rain, and I was soaked to the core. I mistakenly forgot to pack my rain gear. In fact, there were puddles in the bottom of my Lowa boots! I continued hunting, and moving in on some elk near a pond in a draw. I got to about 100 yards and the cows got nervous. I decided to back out and move above them. As I moved back up the hill I had to catch my breath. In doing so, I stopped and looked back towards the elk and noticed the Plan B bull standing directly across from me on the other side of the draw! He rounded up his ladies and moved away from me. My plan instantly changed. I decided that the season was already half over, and I was running out of time. As I said, I was dripping wet, and borderline being miserable, but I was going to make something happen! I went back down and across the draw, and up the other side, cautiously trailing the herd. After working around some cows and other bulls, I was eventually able to get in position for a shot on Plan B. At this point, I was concerned if my muzzleloader would even go off because or sneaking through the wet brush and how hard it was raining. The shot never panned out and I returned home that evening to dry out, extremely disappointed.

Fast forward to Friday morning, and I was back at my glassing rock. It was obvious that it was the peak of the rut as the bulls were going crazy bugling and chasing cows below me. I was lucky to have 3 seconds of silence between the barrages of bugles. Only there was no sign of Plan B bull.

I picked up some movement about 700 yards down the hill from me in the brush, and then it happened. Out stepped the 7x8! I couldn’t believe it. He finally decided to move from his safety area, and into the Danger Zone! I nearly dropped my binoculars and knocked my spotting scope over in the excitement! I hunted him hard, but with caution. I didn’t want to blow him and his cows out of the area and back to where I couldn’t get to him.

I kept at it Friday and Saturday with no luck. Just when I thought I was close to making it happen, he would give me the slip. I thought, “he’s a smart old bull, no wonder that bow hunter didn’t seal the deal!” He would seemingly vanish into thin air after he moved into the thick cover, just like many of you know big bulls can do. It blows my mind how such a big animal can do that!

It was now Sunday morning, the last day of the season. I had the morning and evening hunt left to capitalize. Otherwise, I’d have a whole year to think about the could’ve, should’ve, would’ves and settle on tag soup, which I hear isn’t that satisfying or filling!

About 8:30-9:00 that morning I spot the 7x8 below me at 650 yards chasing off satellite bulls exactly where I saw him a few days earlier. I watched him for a few minutes to get an idea of what he was going to do before I made my move. Just like that, as if on cue, he gathered his cows and moved them away from me and into his hidey-hole. I decided to go for broke, and gathered my gear and made my way downhill towards him.

I should note here that earlier in the week, I had lost one of my speed loaders when out moving through the brush. Now I am one who absolutely despises losing anything, whether it is something of value or a $2.00 piece of plastic! Well wouldn’t you know it, as I am making my way down to the bull, I look down, and there on the ground is the speed loader that I lost! If this wasn’t a sign from the hunting gods, I don’t know what is!

I eventually make it down to where the bull was, and slip into the thick cover where I last saw him. I can hear the cows and a couple of bulls bugling ahead of me 2-300 yards, so I keep moving. I knew the direction they were moving would take them down over a steep hill and to a watering hole surrounded by thick brush, and figured this was where they were going to lay up for the day. I get to a small opening that I can look down to the water, but don’t see any elk, just a flock of turkeys (pretty cool, as I love to watch turkeys) I can still hear the cows talking in the cover of the brush as I am fixated on the turkeys.

Suddenly I catch movement to my left out of the corner of my eye. It’s antler tips moving up the hill towards me, so I duck down because I am sky lined standing on the edge. I watch the antlers get closer, and I can see it is the 7x8! I wait until he is behind a tree and slowly stand up with my rifle raised. He kept coming towards me at a steady pace, finally stopping at about 13 yards facing me head on. Finally he picks me out, and rips out a bugle right in my face. By this point, I am shaking like a leaf on a tree! He decides he doesn’t like what he sees, and turns to go back down the hill when I let him have a 300 grain Thor. He trots off about around the hill about 30 yards and out of sight as I try to reload as quickly as possible, while listening for a crash. Nothing. I crept up to where he was when I shot to look for blood. Nothing. I am in disbelief! I slowly work my way to where I last saw him, looking for blood. Nothing! I checked all around where he stopped where I last saw him, and STILL no blood, and worse, NO BULL! Some time has passed, and now I am exploring every direction he could have went, following tracks, but not finding any reassuring signs of a hit. I spend close to an hour unsuccessfully looking, and start to think, well maybe something happened. Did I hit a tree??? Did I miss amidst the shaking and excitement???? 13 yards??? NO WAY I could miss….right!?!?!?! Maybe I made a poor shot and grazed him or worse, wounded him. I had flashbacks to losing a wounded bull, and started to feel that sick feeling. More about 15 minutes of searching has passed, and by this time I am freaking out. I decide to walk down over the hill one more time in a last ditch effort, knowing that if he crashed, I would have heard it because of how thick it was. I look, and look, and look some more, now certain that something went wrong. I’m working my way back up this steep hill cussing everything from my gun to myself, to the fact that I decided to even go muzzleloader hunting again after I swore it off. I stopped to catch my breath, and look off to my right down the hill about 20 yards, and HOLY SHEEP Sh!T, there he is! He’s bedded down, still alive, but not getting up. At this point, I knew he was hit hard, especially because he hadn’t bolted amongst my thrashing around in the brush looking for him. I give him another one, right in the vitals, and he get ups and bolts! He only makes it a little ways before he went down for good.

I have big hands and still couldn't fit them around the bases

I was in complete shock as I made my way to him. All of the ups and downs of this season finally had culminated on the last day with me taking the bull I had set as a goal to harvest. I KNOW the hunting gods were with me that day showing me that patience and persistence pay off! He ended up going 340”, my best bull to date, and a heck of a bull for SW Colorado. I learned two things: I learned not to continue to set goals and don’t settle for anything less. I also learned, even though I already knew it, that elk are EXTREMELY tough animals!

Great story, great bull!!! How many points did you burn for this hunt?

Great Bull! :shock: :applause: Congrads and way to hang in there! :yeah:

Here are the ivories. I popped them out just before I started doing the euro mount, and haven't had a chance to get them cleaned up. They are well worn, and should turn out pretty nice!

As far as points, I only burned three. As a resident, I have drawn the tag before with 1 point. Since CPW and cut back on the tag quotas, it may have taken 2...who knows. My original plans was to build up points to use at one of Colorado's units known for trophies, but I decided screw it. I'm building points in Utah, Arizona, and applying in New Mexico each year, so that is where I will go for my 400" bull :mrgreen:

Yup, them are nice ivories all right! Nothing prettier than them tusks from an older bull. Seems he wasn't/isn't all that old. If it were me i would grind this elk into burger, and the next tag i sought would be for a spike; my trophy hunting would end with this bull; he is a dandy. That is just me, an old man that has eaten nothing but elk, deer, and pronghorn for the past 50 or so year.

Your persistence is something i truly admire, and i guess i hope you get an even nicer set of antlers the next time, if that is your desire. Admittedly, i am already looking forward to your next tale. Happy hunting!

Did you use the 250 gr or 300 gr Thor? How much BH 209? I did not see it posted.

Back