My attempt at a black powder 12 gauge shell for a modern pump shotgun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have proved in the past: if you use Plastic shot cups in shells or as is in muzzle loaders with SLOW, HOT, LONG burning powders like Black you will have Plastic lined barrels. The heat melts plastic which sticks in the cooler tubes.. Whether New steel BIo shot cups would help we don't know as no body seems to get hold of them.. O.D..
Yep. As I read more into yes. There are many that say the use of plastic wads leads to melting and plastic goop that hardens on the barrel.

Some say no big deal run half a kettle of boiling water and plastic comes off. Others say just used a lubed wad above a nitro card that is placed on the charge then plastic fouling is minimal.

Some use felt wads and spacers in their shells exclusively. No plastic.

A concern I have is in BP lead sits as close as it can to powder. This whole shot gun shell thing requires spacing creating air space between shot and bp.

It's probably an unwarranted concern of mine because well it's been done before by others.

In the issue of Modern barrels in BP. though thinner are stronger and meant for smokeless powder pressure.

The one thing I am reading is that you don't want bp in anything with a semi auto action. Bolt, pump, break barrel, underlever all ok.

Upon further reading there are many people who have experimented with BP in 30.06 and other non traditional modern carts.

Some cartridges were originally bp loaded. Ie .45lc or .30-.30, maybe even .45-70?

Some guy ran bp 7.62 x 39 in an AK until it fowled things up to where it would not cycle. Amazing he got the BP to cycle the bolt at all. About half a mag and the problem start.

On thing sass does not do is steel shot.

I am wondering if it's all worth the trouble. I did learn a lot. An important fact is that steel shot is a lot softer than steel BBs used in air rifles as mentioned above. that would have been mistake. Especially if you have any type of choke going on in your barrel. Steel doesn't give in a chock like lead. It would push through the plastic wad and score the end of the barrel twords the muzzle.

Speaking of chokes some people have complained that the plastic fouling left by those shot cups in black powder cartridges could cause a barrel obstruction after repeated shooting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back