My First .45

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought a very clean .45 Omega and I want to set it up to shoot BH with a saboted bullet. We hunt in Michigan's zone 3 which is a "shot gun" area, and I'd like to get max range out of the rifle. It would be a great to get some info on sabot/bullet combo's from shooter's with experience with these .45's.

Got a 45 Black Diamond XR ( Super 45) last year and am very happy with it. Got 2 deer with 180 gr Hornady 40 caliber XTP's in Harvester Crush Ribs. Got a doe with a 50 gr charge of 3f Swiss black. 50 yard Bang flop. DRT. Also got a nice 8 pointer at 100 yards with a 60 grain charge of 3f Swiss black. He went 50 yards and piled up. Recovered bullet, sans jacket, weighed 122 grains. I was a little nervous about the 45 at first, 1-20 twist, but she's proven herself to be polite and absolutely lethal. Hope you have good results with yours. I'm currently playing with the 200 gr XTP's, but have found no fault with the 180's...

IIRC Carlos at Eds Gunshop had a smokin price on the 200gr SSTs. Something like $18/50 plus shipping. About the only bullet that will shoot flatter are the Precision Rifle 40s 215gr or heavier. PR does offer a 195gr 357x45 if you want to give them a try too. I never had much luck with any 357x45s although i never tried his.

I have some of the above mentioned components on the way. The rifle already had a Warne base. I'm waiting for my rings and scope. The ring's will be Warne 30mm QD. The scope will be a Leupold 4.5x14x40 CDS w/side focus. Once I find a good working load, I'll order the turret. When I get set up we will give a range report.

Been shooting a 45 for many years my Gonic likes 90Grs 777 #11 cap and a 405Gr solid never had a deer walk away from that load.
My DISC Extreme likes the 200 Gr SST, 110 Grs BH209, CCI 209 primer this is another DRT load.

Latest posts

Back