My new flinter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it completely amazing just how many traditional muzzleloading flintlock shooters get their panties in a wad over truly small things in another person's rifle that, when you get right down to it, is no business of theirs.

It's perfectly OK to have an opinion, and to express it once. Whether you express that opinion in person, or on an online forum like this one.

Since I have become ADDICTED to online Muzzleloading forums, especially ALR & the Muzzleloading Forum, I have been fascinated by how many times I have seen a thread dissolve into a back-and-forth argument between, usually a single hard-headed poster, and one, sometimes a bunch of, other forum members trying to defend the, ALMOST ALWAYS, OP's opening statement in his thread.

Virtually all of the time it's some diehard traditionalist objecting to something that he feels is not Historically Correct about a flintlock longrifle/fowler/military weapon; or sometimes a piece of equipment/clothing used in a persona.

Mind you, most of the posters I am writing about ARE NOT men seeking to EXACTLY recreate a particular era for presentation to the public where accuracy is very important.

These are just guys that want to get involved without needing to spend an enormous fortune on accessories, clothing, and equipment.

Bye-the-bye, this is NOT A DIG at valkyrierdr, whose above post was tongue in cheek.

Now back to BrantSFGDS's beautiful flintlock longrifle with a fast twist barrel.

This is one of those dichotomies in the modern muzzleloading world that seems to enrage all but the most liberal minded muzzleloading shooters.

No one seems to mind too much if percussion guns have fast twist barrels, because after all, there were such animals late in the percussion period. Especially, the Whitworth .45 caliber rifles used for sniping during the American Civil War.

But, heaven forbid that ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT, OR LEFT, mind voice the thought that they might want a flintlock rifle, of any description, or barrel length, in a fast twist that will stabilize bullets. Like I did over at ALR about a year ago.

WHOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's like I spit on their momma's face, p****d on her back, slapped her up side the head with a 16 pound sledgehammer, called her a f*****g whore, said she couldn't cook biscuits worth a s**t, didn't know how to raise her kids, slept in church, didn't take baths, served her husband & kids cold food, and wore COMBAT BOOTS.

I mean, the stink I raised mentioning that was off the charts. Just about the same as putting a modern, variable power scope on a sidelock.

A LOT of traditional muzzleloading practicioners will pay lip service to anybody growing old, and needing to use........

1. A tang-mounted ghost ring peep sight.....
2. A pair of standing cross sticks for offhand support
3. A recoil pad for any form of arthritis, or osteoporosis
4. A scope because they can no longer see the sights on the barrel

But, if & when someone actually says, or in fact does, any/all of those things, THAT'S A DIFFERENT STORY. Then, their TRUE nature surfaces from behind the mask they wear, and ALL KINDS of objections come to light.

For myself, I no longer live in the 18th Century in my mind like I used to as a kid. I TRY to live in the 21st Century, where if I want the challenge of a long-barreled, flintlock longrifle coupled with a Rice, 4140CM steel, .45 caliber, 1:14" twist, octagon-round barrel about 41" long, set in a nice piece of curly/burled cherry, brass-mounted, relief carved & engraved, and a Brad Emig-tuned Siler lock; then I will.

So, I'm completely sympathetic to BrantSFGDS's desire for his new rifle.

GOOD SHOOTING!!!!!!

I find it completely amazing just how many traditional muzzleloading flintlock shooters get their panties in a wad over truly small things in another person's rifle that, when you get right down to it, is no business of theirs.

It's perfectly OK to have an opinion, and to express it once. Whether you express that opinion in person, or on an online forum like this one.

Since I have become ADDICTED to online Muzzleloading forums, especially ALR & the Muzzleloading Forum, I have been fascinated by how many times I have seen a thread dissolve into a back-and-forth argument between, usually a single hard-headed poster, and one, sometimes a bunch of, other forum members trying to defend the, ALMOST ALWAYS, OP's opening statement in his thread.

Virtually all of the time it's some diehard traditionalist objecting to something that he feels is not Historically Correct about a flintlock longrifle/fowler/military weapon; or sometimes a piece of equipment/clothing used in a persona.

Mind you, most of the posters I am writing about ARE NOT men seeking to EXACTLY recreate a particular era for presentation to the public where accuracy is very important.

These are just guys that want to get involved without needing to spend an enormous fortune on accessories, clothing, and equipment.

Bye-the-bye, this is NOT A DIG at valkyrierdr, whose above post was tongue in cheek.

Now back to BrantSFGDS's beautiful flintlock longrifle with a fast twist barrel.

This is one of those dichotomies in the modern muzzleloading world that seems to enrage all but the most liberal minded muzzleloading shooters.

No one seems to mind too much if percussion guns have fast twist barrels, because after all, there were such animals late in the percussion period. Especially, the Whitworth .45 caliber rifles used for sniping during the American Civil War.

But, heaven forbid that ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT, OR LEFT, mind voice the thought that they might want a flintlock rifle, of any description, or barrel length, in a fast twist that will stabilize bullets. Like I did over at ALR about a year ago.

WHOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's like I spit on their momma's face, p****d on her back, slapped her up side the head with a 16 pound sledgehammer, called her a f*****g whore, said she couldn't cook biscuits worth a s**t, didn't know how to raise her kids, slept in church, didn't take baths, served her husband & kids cold food, and wore COMBAT BOOTS.

I mean, the stink I raised mentioning that was off the charts. Just about the same as putting a modern, variable power scope on a sidelock.

A LOT of traditional muzzleloading practicioners will pay lip service to anybody growing old, and needing to use........

1. A tang-mounted ghost ring peep sight.....
2. A pair of standing cross sticks for offhand support
3. A recoil pad for any form of arthritis, or osteoporosis
4. A scope because they can no longer see the sights on the barrel

But, if & when someone actually says, or in fact does, any/all of those things, THAT'S A DIFFERENT STORY. Then, their TRUE nature surfaces from behind the mask they wear, and ALL KINDS of objections come to light.

For myself, I no longer live in the 18th Century in my mind like I used to as a kid. I TRY to live in the 21st Century, where if I want the challenge of a long-barreled, flintlock longrifle coupled with a Rice, 4140CM steel, .45 caliber, 1:14" twist, octagon-round barrel about 41" long, set in a nice piece of curly/burled cherry, brass-mounted, relief carved & engraved, and a Brad Emig-tuned Siler lock; then I will.

So, I'm completely sympathetic to BrantSFGDS's desire for his new rifle.

GOOD SHOOTING!!!!!!
I appreciate your feelings on the subject. It doesn't bother me, though. You should have seen the shellacking I got on a BPCR forum years ago when I made a picatinny rail for my High Wall and slapped a Leupold on it, lol!

Latest posts

Back