My new flintlock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Spotted her the other day and could NOT get her out of my head.
Went to the shop with my fancy flinter and asked what it would take, in addition, to walk out with her. This saintly fellow said " Take it"
!
.50 caliber 36 inch 7/8ths barrel left to age brown. Love the look too! Siler lock. No buttplate as this is a very plain, and equally elegant long rifle.

Attachments

• 20200814_150035.jpg
    20200814_150035.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 20200814_150047.jpg
    20200814_150047.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 20200814_150154.jpg
    20200814_150154.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 20200814_150105.jpg
    20200814_150105.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 60
That is a nice schimmel flint rifle. Can't go wrong with a Siler flintlock. Is it a Colerain, Green Mountain, or Rice barrel?

What's the weight, about 7 lbs.?

Haven't got her dirty yet.
Barely 7 pounds. Petite thing...
I'll say its a Green Mountain judging by the goofy crown. After all these years you'd think they would've learned how to round a crown off so it don't cut patches!
I gave her a taste of b.l.o. and she was grateful.
The name " Spatz" is engraved on the top flat near the vent. There's also a flag(?) on the other side. Looks like a stick with the wide end of a triangle attached. Behind the rear sight is a stylized *.
Maker unknown, but whoever it was, their work is superb. The inletting looks like the wood grew around the metal. The shaping of the wood is excellent. No dips, waves or uneven contours. The staining is very even as well.
I can't believe my good fortune! The LORD smiles on idiots, children and (occasionally) orphan rifles

Took her to Dixon's in the hope that Greg might recognize the work.
I got her half out of the case and he said " You got a Jim Correll there"
The late Jim Correll was one of 3 master rifle makers, along with George Dech and Richard Hujsa, at the Jacobsburg Historical Society and used to run classes in which students built long rifles.
Greg also noted that the stock came from a blank that his dad had custom cut back in the 80s just for this style rifle, and the barrel was match grade.
I knew I picked a winner, but DANG! A rifle built by a master craftsman?! I'd say I should buy a lottery ticket, but I already hit the jackpot.
This one truly is a marvel to me. She has showed me just how brilliant the men who developed the long rifle were AND that a work of ( folk) art can be beautiful, practical and absolutely deadly in equal measures. This one has me rethinking a lot of things...
Pardon the gush.

The first time I shouldered, and shot, my Golden Age Arms Company, semi-custom, .45 caliber Douglas barreled, brass-mounted w/engraved Daisy-head patchbox, Siler flintlock, curly maple long rifle at age 17 I fell HEAD OVER HEELS IN LOVE with the rifle.

I was already conceptually in love with muzzleloading before the rifle arrived in my hands (11 month wait), but once I had an actual REAL LONG RIFLE to hold, fondle, and sight down the barrel; a HUGE PARADIGM SHIFT occurred, and my life changed forever.

A similar, but in my opinion, not quite as nice GAAC rifle is selling used at Track of the Wolf for $1,199.00. Even though my rifle only had a single trigger, the well assembled, and tuned, Siler flintlock, was very fast, and never failed to go off. I only had one hang fire in all.the years that I shot it. The maple had more curl than the one at TOW, and the engraved patchbox was better executed.

My rifle if in similar condition today would list for at least $1,500.00. I paid $330.00 for it in 1971.

So, I know what you are feeling towards your new purchase.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!@

THANK GOD FOR GOOD LUCK!@!

Where eas this picture taken?
KIMG0595.JPG

I use to have to drive up there just to shoot a gun.60 miles when I lived in Baltimore.Now I'm just out side of Hancock, MD in Pa. Thank God.
Don

It's a little out of the way but it's all I got. It's pretty nice.

Latest posts

Back