My New Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
Well, I should know by now that i'll never stay with an inline. No matter how nice it is or practical. So, I just bought the new Lyman Great Plains Signature Series gun in .50. It will be my muley gun from now on. Anybody need 3lbs of Pyro Select powder? I just ordered some Goex for the Hawken.

It's nice to be back to traditional.

Attachments

• lyman-great-plains-rifle-signature-series-percussion-50-cal-6034000.jpg
    lyman-great-plains-rifle-signature-series-percussion-50-cal-6034000.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 29
Still being an idiot huh? Ok, time to leave again if you're going to follow me around like a puppy.

Cya.

Enjoy the new toy Muley.

Just curious, why you getting rid of the Pyro. Want to stay all traditional? What twist is it and what do you intend to shoot? If your going to a PRB I had great success with those for 30 years. Simple, cheap, and effective. If my eyes were better I would go back to mine.

i hate to say it but I had to laugh at ya too, only cause you might want to keep the Pyro. It is very hard to find much of any Black powder anymore and could take a month to get.

I can understand how you feel Muley. I still get a pang when I pick up the 58 Hawken that got me my first muzzle stuffer buck. My eyes, however, can't handle iron sights and a scope on a Hawken ruins the mood.

I can understand how you feel Muley. I still get a pang when I pick up the 58 Hawken that got me my first muzzle stuffer buck. My eyes, however, can't handle iron sights and a scope on a Hawken ruins the mood.
I've never seen or known anyone with a .58 BP ML. I think the biggest bore I saw & got to shoot was a .54 Hawken over 30yrs ago. I guess comin from the central east coast there was no need for that big of a bore smokepole? That .58 must be thunderous & a hoot to shoot

I've never seen or known anyone with a .58 BP ML. I think the biggest bore I saw & got to shoot was a .54 Hawken over 30yrs ago. I guess comin from the central east coast there was no need for that big of a bore smokepole? That .58 must be thunderous & a hoot to shoot
I've got a .62 underhammer and a .69underhammer, the 62 takes 180 grains of ffg and the 69 takes 200 plus. Both are very slow twist round ball guns.

Shooting that 58 Hawken really doesn't feel much different than a BP 54 or even a 50. A slow 1 in 66 twist means patched round ball only and it groups about 3 inches @ 75 yards. A 58 round ball only weighs about 245 grains. A 58 minie ball would weigh about 9 pounds but I never used one because of the twist. My smokeless guns, however, have some hair.

Never thought about it, but I guess I'm lucky. The right eye makes a real mess of certain open sights, but the left eye does not. The solution has been to shoot lefty with those rifles that have those sights...a new challenge.

I'm headed for cataract surgery. It might help the right eye. In any event, I'm tired of spending $ on scopes...and cleaning around them. I'll keep the scopes on the inlines...inlines are good for scopes.

Short start. I had a similar problem but I am ambidextrous when it comes to shooting. For field hunting I shoot left handed because it reacts better for me. If im going to shoot target or groups I go to my right hand side. Once you can do this there are some real advantages. No need to worry which side the prey comes in on. Just move the gun to that side and shoot.

Latest posts

Back