My New Portable Casting Station

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I have done a Bunch of tinkering in the last few Weeks, Trying to get more organized, When you live in a Small Square Footage Home you have to think outside the Box :) I wanted a “Portable“ Casting Station that i could easily Roll out of the Way and Store along a Basement Wall when i am Done Casting, Ended up i had an Old Movers Dolly I haven’t used in many Years, It is HEAVY DUTY & then some! I Chose to use it for this Project. Everything here is Built From Scrap Odds N Ends from other Projects.

Here it is Backed up against my Firewood Box (I also Built the other Day) My Woodstove that heats our Home is just on the other Side. I also made a ”Table Top” at the end of my Firewood Box That can easily be lifted out and Moved, I keep an Old Towel on Top for Padding when i Drop the Hot Bullets (From a very short Distance) All i have to do is Turn the Casting Station to the Left, This puts my Padded Table Top to my Left. I use a Nice Padded Computer Chair with a Comfy Back in it, It adjusts in Height by lifting a Handle underneath, I Can get Dialed Right in Here, and COMFY :lewis:
mTi295k.jpg

I also Built an 8 Ft Work Bench, With a 4 Ft High output Led Shop light above it

I insulated the Concrete wall with 1” Insulator Board (AWESOME Stuff) This Bench gives me Some Room to Work :lewis:
LWntILj.jpg

I was in the Middle of a Few Different Projects here, So I was using this new Bench as my Temporary Casting Spot til i could Get my Portable Casting Station Built. 2 Secret Mold Heating weapons on the Bench :D I don’t dip my Molds in the Lead/Anymore
BSDiSUn.jpg

After working on the Bench a Day or 2, I decided it HAD to have a Smooth Top of some Sort, To get away from the Plywood Imperfections, Splinters, etc. I ended up installing a Laminate Top on it, I’m REALLY ENJOYING it Now :lewis: I Weigh my Powder Charges here, Weigh my Bullets, Cut my Papers, and Paper Patch my Bullets, ETC. ETC. All with a Nice Wood Stove Burning Behind me, It’s 16 Degrees here Right now, This is a Welcoming addition :lewis:
7VsRJTz.jpg

I have done a Bunch of tinkering in the last few Weeks, Trying to get more organized, When you live in a Small Square Footage Home you have to think outside the Box :) I wanted a “Portable“ Casting Station that i could easily Roll out of the Way and Store along a Basement Wall when i am Done Casting, Ended up i had an Old Movers Dolly I haven’t used in many Years, It is HEAVY DUTY & then some! I Chose to use it for this Project. Everything here is Built From Scrap Odds N Ends from other Projects.

Here it is Backed up against my Firewood Box (I also Built the other Day) My Woodstove that heats our Home is just on the other Side. I also made a ”Table Top” at the end of my Firewood Box That can easily be lifted out and Moved, I keep an Old Towel on Top for Padding when i Drop the Hot Bullets (From a very short Distance) All i have to do is Turn the Casting Station to the Left, This puts my Padded Table Top to my Left. I use a Nice Padded Computer Chair with a Comfy Back in it, It adjusts in Height by lifting a Handle underneath, I Can get Dialed Right in Here, and COMFY :lewis:
mTi295k.jpg

Speaking of wood to heat your house, how cold does it get where you live in winter?

Speaking of wood to heat your house, how cold does it get where you live in winter?

It was a Balmy 16 this Morning :D We usually get at least a Week or 2 of 0 Degree weather, down to Minus 5 to 10

This is our Current Forecast, it’s not Horrible, Just uncomfortable to be out Shooting a Muzzleloader
C797bCM.jpg

This is the Rough Stuff! I don’t like this kind of Cold. I have Ice fished in -5 Weather
VOTCn6v.jpg

q1XwPAb.jpg

We usually get Deeper Snow than we do EXTREME Cold
EtNjOTk.jpg

XK4kMnr.jpg

The coldest I've experienced was an ice fishing trip to Canada. Minus 40 at night and all the way up to minus 20 in the day. My fishing line looked like I was making candles.

I am sure it gets very cold in Idaho but here in South Dakota we get our share. Of cold too. 😁 wind chills this week really suck at 30 to 40 below .
View attachment 12997

That’s MISERABLE Cold my Friend! You guy’s get Colder on average than we do, and We usually get more Snow, Wouldn’t you say Chet?

This has sure been an odd year for here, We don’t have ANY Snow here in Town, I can see my Yard. I have never seen this here Before?

@Idaholewis bloody hell mate I might have to stop complaining about cold over here. We don't get that bad.

There are several States that get Colder than here. We get a little bit of everything here, But i would say we are Best known for Deep Snow Fall, at least here in North Idaho. 6 Feet of Snow is not uncommon here, The Average Yearly Snowfall is 62 inches.

There are times i wish i lived in a Warmer State, But With Warmer Climates you have MANY more People, Places like California, Arizona, Florida, Etc. Are Jam Packed CROWDED with people, I would rather tough out the Harsher Winters Here and Deal with less People, than endure the Crowds of People the Warmer States have. But Fact is, We are Growing at an ALARMING Rate, Idaho is nearly owned by California, They FLOOD this Place

Back