My Omega Project

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree too . Just had a thought if those pits were giving an issue it might help ?? A back up plan never hurts !!!

I think I will try the Barnes that I have since I have the most experience and confidence with. From there I will probably try the Deep Curls and XTP's. I'm sure that I will find something that will work. Thanks for the comments and suggestions and I will keep you posted. Depending on the weather I think I am going to the range on Friday...

I think I will try the Barnes that I have since I have the most experience and confidence with. From there I will probably try the Deep Curls and XTP's. I'm sure that I will find something that will work. Thanks for the comments and suggestions and I will keep you posted. Depending on the weather I think I am going to the range on Friday...
Good luck !!!

So I talked to my dad znd he IS using Rem Oil and unfortunately Bore Butter also... So I cleaned the gun with an oversized bronze bore brush and used JB Bore Paste and Kroil to try to smooth it out some. I finished it off using Hornady One Shot gun cleaner. After cleaning it I noticed what looks like pitting or possibly rust where the lands and grooves meet. What is the best way to clean that without destroying the barrel? It looks to be in about maybe 1/3 to 1/4 of the barrel...
Are you certain that you got all bore butter and rem oil residue out? That stuff can be a brown color that looks like rust. And just as hard to clean out of the corners.

Are you certain that you got all bore butter and rem oil residue out? That stuff can be a brown color that looks like rust. And just as hard to clean out of the corners.
I think that I got it all out but I am not sure as I don't have a bore scope. I initially used an over sized bronze brush(.54 cal) and followed it up patches. Then I used Kroil and JB Bore Past . Changing patches and applying more JB's. I then patched it again. I then used non-chlorinated brake cleaner several times along with the bronze brush again. Patched until it came out clean and then finially used Hornady One Shot gun cleaner. After several minutes of the gun cleaner sitting in the barrel I brushed it again. I plain patched it again and then followed that up with patches with the gun cleaner. I think I did a pretty good job but I noticed the "whatever " where the lands and grooves meet... I guess I will find out more when I hit the range...ha

I think that I got it all out but I am not sure as I don't have a bore scope. I initially used an over sized bronze brush(.54 cal) and followed it up patches. Then I used Kroil and JB Bore Past . Changing patches and applying more JB's. I then patched it again. I then used non-chlorinated brake cleaner several times along with the bronze brush again. Patched until it came out clean and then finially used Hornady One Shot gun cleaner. After several minutes of the gun cleaner sitting in the barrel I brushed it again. I plain patched it again and then followed that up with patches with the gun cleaner. I think I did a pretty good job but I noticed the "whatever " where the lands and grooves meet... I guess I will find out more when I hit the range...ha
Alright. Sounds like you did all you can do. Good luck.

You never said and no one asked but what section of the bore is that dark areas in ??? Close to the plug , mid barrel , or near the muzzle ??? I also noticed you didnt say anything about 0000 steel wool on a brush too . Wrap it so its tight in the bore if you care to try it . Some denatured alcohol or acetone disolves crud really well too . Back and forth 50 to 100 times . If its still there its rust pits after all that . The steel wool will actually polish that bore and remove rough spots . I shouldve offered this sooner . Sorry .

You never said and no one asked but what section of the bore is that dark areas in ??? Close to the plug , mid barrel , or near the muzzle ??? I also noticed you didnt say anything about 0000 steel wool on a brush too . Wrap it so its tight in the bore if you care to try it . Some denatured alcohol or acetone disolves crud really well too . Back and forth 50 to 100 times . If its still there its rust pits after all that . The steel wool will actually polish that bore and remove rough spots . I shouldve offered this sooner . Sorry .

Looking at the barrel it would be between a couple inches on front of where the bullet would be seated and it stops about 6 inches before the end of the barrel. It isn't terrible but being that this isn't my rifle and I won't have it forever I am just trying to do my due diligence with it. I will probably shoot it tomorrow to see which bullet loads easy enough and to my liking. After I get home I will probably do another deep cleaning on it and take it out again to find the most accurate powder combination for the chosen bullet and then clean again, probably for the end of the year depending on the weather I get up here in Michigan. It's supposed to be a HIGH of like 25 tomorrow so I don't see me foing a marathon shooting trip...

Looking at the barrel it would be between a couple inches on front of where the bullet would be seated and it stops about 6 inches before the end of the barrel. It isn't terrible but being that this isn't my rifle and I won't have it forever I am just trying to do my due diligence with it. I will probably shoot it tomorrow to see which bullet loads easy enough and to my liking. After I get home I will probably do another deep cleaning on it and take it out again to find the most accurate powder combination for the chosen bullet and then clean again, probably for the end of the year depending on the weather I get up here in Michigan. It's supposed to be a HIGH of like 25 tomorrow so I don't see me foing a marathon shooting trip...
Yes our weathef has been weird hasnt it . Im in se michigan . Be sure and let us know how the shooting goes !!!!

So you have some corrosion in the barrel. No big deal. You've done all you can do. Just maintain it so it don't get worse. I'll bet it still shoots great. Have fun!!

So I made it to the range today and here are some of my observations... All shots were taken at 50 yards since today was about finding out which bullets would load easy enough. After finding out what bullets loaded well I would work on accuracy testing another day since windchill was about 20 degrees today.

I shot 8 different bullet/sabot combos and it was kind of a good news/bad news kind of day.
1. First shot from a clean barrel was with a Hornady 240gr XTP in green Crushed Rib sabot. It loaded pretty easy and this bullet was shot first since it was one of the cheapest that I have. I tried this bullet sabot later in my shooting string and it still loaded pretty easily.
2. Next shot was with a Barnes 290gr T-EZ flat base. This bullet loaded I would say with "average" pressure, maybe a little more force but nothing extreme. I tried shooting this bullet a little later in my shooting string with a black Crushed Rib sabot. This time it loaded too easily, like I didnt even need the palm saver to push thd bullet down the barrel or to seat the bullet. The accuracy test will show if it was indeed loading too easily. I tried both of these combinations another time for a total of 4 shots with thd Barnes 290 tipped flat base bullet.
3. I shot a Speer 300gr Deep Curl twice in a Black Crushed Rib sabot and it loaded pretty easily, I'll call it a Goldy Locks loading... not too tough, not too easily...just right. Again accuracy will be determined at s later date.
4. I next tried the Barnes 285gr Spitfire Boat-tails with a Harvester crushed rib sabot(yellow) meant for boat-tails. I have to agree with my father on this one.. I got it loaded but I wss almost afraid of bending my loading rod.
5. Next I tried a Hornady 300gr XTP in a black Crushed rib sabot. This one loaded really well also. Again, accuracy TBD.
6. Next in line was a 260gr Scorpion PT Gold in a black Crushed rib sabot. This bullet combo loaded with average loading force. Just a touch more that the Speer and 300ge XTP's.
7. Lastly was a 300gr White Lightening by Harvester in a green Crushed rib sabot sincd it's a .44cal bullet. This bullet loaded a little tougher but I would consider it sverage and definitely workable...
At this point I called it a day since I couldn't feel my feet and my hands were frozen also. Overall it was a good day since so many I feel will work but I was kind of hoping that some would be eliminated to cut down on my later range time... I would say that everything I shot today except the 285gr Barnes Spitfire Boat-tails is still in contention. I guess it looks like I have a LOT of accuracy testing to do...ha

Here is the target from today... Keep in mind that this was only 50 yards, but it is 12 shots with 7 different bullet sabot combos... sorry it's not allowing me to attach the picture.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back