My Omega Project

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da new guy

Reaction score
Here is my dilemma... My dad uses his muzzleloader during the regular firearms season and muzzleloader season. His current set-up is a T/C Omega (older style) shooting BH209 100gr VOLUME under a 285gr Barnes Spitfire Boat-tails. He likes the performance but he says that it's really hard to load after the first shot... I told him that I would take this challenge to find an accurate AND easier seating bullet... Here are the bullets that I am going to try for him...in descending order from the highest to lowest weight...
1. 300gr Harvester White Lightening (.44 cal.),
2. 300gr Speer Deep Curl,
3. 300gr Hornady SST,
4. 300gr Hornady XTP,
5. 290gr Barnes T-EZ Flat base,
6. 285gr Barnes Spitfire Boat-tails(will be tried with regular sabot and Harvester Crushed Rib Boat-tail sabot),
7. 270gr Federal BOR Lock Trophy Copper,
8. 260gr Harvester Scorpion PT Gold,
9. 250gr Hornady monoflex,
10. 245gr Barnes Spitfire boat-tails with EZ load sabot,
11. 240gr Hornady XTP (.44 cal, used in green crushed rib sabot)...

All .45 bullets, not boat-tails, will be tried in black Harvester Crushed Rib sabots first, then MMP HPH-24, and lastly MMP HPH-12.

I am wanting to stay within the 95-105 gr by VOLUME of BH209...

What would be your order of shooting these? I understand that I know I need to find what the gun likes but iv I can find a load that works early I can same somd time... I like to experiment but this is a BIG experiment for me anx I have somewhat limited time..

Thanks for your time and I look forward to everyone's ideas...

I don't know how to post pictures of the bullet line-up or yhat would be here also...

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Da new guy without measureing your bore , then the bullet + sabot together , then seeing which ones are between .002 to .004 thou bigger than bore size im not so sure anyone can truly say . That seems to be the sweet spot for most guns . I know of no other way for a predictable good result . There is a sticky on the list for inline muzzleloading forum for bullet/sabot diameters that hopefully will help to achieve this quickly for you . Do you know your bore size (actual) to do the math and see ??? Small hole guages and calipers or a 0to1" micrometer ???

Last edited:
Using BH powder, they load easy er on a fouled bore than a clean bore, for me.

If he has an accurate and effective load already you may be able to solve the second shot loading difficulty with a good polishing of the bore.

(On the other hand, playing with new load combinations is a lot of fun. :D)

My Omega X7 holds 7/8" five-shot groups at 100 yards and 1-1/4" groups at 150 yards with 70 grains weight Blackhorn and 240 grain .429 Speer Deep Curls in Harvester H15044 sabots. Five shot average velocity is 1875 fps. Easy loading and mild recoil. Sighted in dead on at 100 yards, it hits five inches low at 150.

Spent lots of time and money trying different combos and loads in my Omega. Nothing I tried grouped any better than a .452 300gr XTP, smooth black Harvestor sabot over 100gr vol BH209. Devastating on deer.target new.JPG

I would start out with the xtp since its the cheapest bullet and it's killed a tremendous number of deer. Then imho the Barnes tez looks to be a great choice. I prefer solid copper for hunting. The 275 Fury is also a great bullet.

Are you sure you are looking at the right problem? If it loads well enough for the first shot then your sabot bullet combination is good. I would look for something like using a preservative oil that leaves a nasty residue when burned like the Teflon in Rem oil. Try scrubbing out the barrel real good and using something like JB polishing compound then us only a good synthetic gun oil and see if the problem disappears.

Are you sure you are looking at the right problem? If it loads well enough for the first shot then your sabot bullet combination is good. I would look for something like using a preservative oil that leaves a nasty residue when burned like the Teflon in Rem oil. Try scrubbing out the barrel real good and using something like JB polishing compound then us only a good synthetic gun oil and see if the problem disappears.
Or even no oil at all . I use denatured alcohol to swab my barrel and it is DRY and i dont have loading issues . My bore is polished like a mirror though .(jewelers rouge) . This along with a .003 to.004" fit makes for one hell of a seal and increased velocity .
Good idea Lee 9 !!! Could be just that .

Last edited:
I've heard others complain about rem oil in the bore. I use it on triggers a stuff but not in a bore. Is it really that bad?

I've heard others complain about rem oil in the bore. I use it on triggers a stuff but not in a bore. Is it really that bad?
The teflon in the oil will build up in the bore and get melted in . Then you gotta use acetone to get it out and scrub like hell . Best to avoid that direct application in the bore . Affects loading , accuracy ,and fouling kinda bad . Remember too with blackhorn dont use water or you get a gummy mess . I will still use acetone periodically to remove sabot residue just in case there is any there to mess with me . Its a part of bore maintanace for me . Just a good idea to do it .

Last edited:
The teflon in the oil will build up in the bore and get melted in . Then you gotta use acetone to get it out and scrub like hell . Best to avoid that direct application in the bore . Affects loading , accuracy ,and fouling kinda bad .
I just lube the triggers and wipe down the outside with it. Seems fine for that.

Or even no oil at all . I use denatured alcohol to swab my barrel and it is DRY and i dont have loading issues . My bore is polished like a mirror though .(jewelers rouge) . This along with a .003 to.004" fit makes for one hell of a seal and increased velocity .
Good idea Lee 9 !!! Could be just that .

So I talked to my dad znd he IS using Rem Oil and unfortunately Bore Butter also... So I cleaned the gun with an oversized bronze bore brush and used JB Bore Paste and Kroil to try to smooth it out some. I finished it off using Hornady One Shot gun cleaner. After cleaning it I noticed what looks like pitting or possibly rust where the lands and grooves meet. What is the best way to clean that without destroying the barrel? It looks to be in about maybe 1/3 to 1/4 of the barrel...

Not much you can do about pitting. Saturate with Kroil, let it sit, then give it a good brushing. Then mop it out. Good news is if you're lucky, using sabots, the pitting shouldn't effect accuracy much. Good luck.

Not much you can do about pitting. Saturate with Kroil, let it sit, then give it a good brushing. Then mop it out. Good news is if you're lucky, using sabots, the pitting shouldn't effect accuracy much. Good luck.
What about that dyna-tek knight uses in their barrels , i wonder if that would fill those pits if they are CLEAN ??? IDK , just thinkin out loud..... its some sort of ceramic i think??? What do you guys think ???

I wouldn't do anything for now. Take it out and shoot it to see what you got. You might be surprised.

Latest posts

Back