My Roma tomato plants

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If one gets tired of fresh, cross cut about 1/4 thick both summer squash, Zukes or cumbers
Dredge through 1 egg, 1 tabls. water mixed
coat with 1/2 flower 1/2 corn meal mixed
Fry with your favorite oil
salt to taste and eat immediately

That sounds good and I have more than an abundance of cukes right now..

These are my Zapotec tomatoes. Its a variety from Mexico.
pfT3b9e.jpg

I had to pick for canning this morning and ended up with 13 of those weird Romas. They're huge. The drain mat in the picture is 13" from bottom to top. These brutes came from two different plants with the one more typical sized Roma coming from a plant between them.

thXt9m2.jpg

4 of these huge Romas filled [packed] a quart canning jar. The largest of the brutes I picked yesterday for BLT's. Got five sandwiches out of that sucker after trimming a rough spot out. Darned tasty tomatoes for being oddballs. The heirlooms are starting to ripen now. Picked several pinks and a couple yellows for the table use.

Wow! I can smell the sauce now. My tomatoes are just now starting to come in here in central Indiana. Huge Romas you have !
I'm headed to the garden right now to see what's happening.
Baked zucchini bread yesterday.

I used to use a Squeezo, all aluminum, tomato-berry-pumpkin strainer that clamped to my kitchen table to break down tomatoes for juice, and pulp.

Does anyone else here use one of them to speed up the process for canning their tomato sauce?

Just finished making a big batch of pork fried rice. You guys are making me hungry for fresh tomatoes, especially since my G.I. doctor says no tomatoes due to acid reflux.

I used to use a Squeezo, all aluminum, tomato-berry-pumpkin strainer that clamped to my kitchen table to break down tomatoes for juice, and pulp.

Does anyone else here use one of them to speed up the process for canning their tomato sauce?

Just finished making a big batch of pork fried rice. You guys are making me hungry for fresh tomatoes, especially since my G.I. doctor says no tomatoes due to acid reflux.
I have good luck with a electric food processer ,but difficult to save any seeds. Never done that.

Saving seeds from heirlooms is no big deal...Saving seeds from hybrids can be a wasted effort. If its a hybrid, better make sure its a well established stable hybrid and you had no other similar plants nearby. I got a unexpected cross last year with my peppers. While i think 1 little suprise was cool, i would have been fuming if all 7 plants i grew from seeds produced the wrong fruit.

GM I try to stay away from hybrids I go for the flavor of the heirlooms. I've stopped starting from seed and by my plants at Home Depot potted.
I do start my beans, Zuks, Squash, cucumbers, sunflouers, and peppers from seed . Used to plant corn but not anymore. Raccons and wind was always a problem.

You wont find some stuff for sale as seedlings. Ive got plants that even seeds are not easy to find. I do really like my Early Girl maters though. I always get a good yield for the effort i put into them. I love Mucho Nacho jalapenos too. Best hybrid pepper i ever tasted and ive tried pretty much any jalapeno you can find.

When you find a heirloom you really like. Only grow that variety if you want to save seeds or be prepared for the possible surprise. I grew my Zapotec right next to a beefsteak variety so im not saving any seeds from it. I found a source for seeds. My plant did ok this year but the seedling looked like hell when i first got it.

Best Jalapenos I 've eaten was while working in the Rio Grande valley. They sell peppers dried in 5lb. bags like we do with potatoes.
My hot peppers didn't do well this year because the tomatoes went crazy and block out a lot of sun. Last year I had a giant verity Jalapeno that was very good. I still have a bag frozen in the fridg.
Something else they grow is Hicoma. A very good cross between a radish and potatoe served sliced and cold.
Another favorite of mine are the little cherry tomatoes both red and yellow. I like them chilled and eat them as is. Their also a nice addition to home made salsa . I do my salsa 6lb. at a time and then into ball jars.

My hot peppers didn't do well this year because the tomatoes went crazy and block out a lot of sun.

I grow peppers all the time in areas that get no direct sun after 1pm. I find most do just fine and some do far better that way. Ive grown a massive variety of them too.

Do these look like they are hurting?....Everyone on this patio is in shade by 2pm.
ndVCkTW.jpg

Another angle shows the fence and part of the tree line behind them
CZN5ANO.jpg

I don't container grow. My garden is 30x30 ft. Some of my tomato plants are over 4 ft. tall.
Your plants look good I see no sun blockage. If you get it you just move them around . That's what I do with plants on my patio.
Can't move plants in my garden.
Takes more watering for containers when it gets hot.

There is a huge cedar to the left of that fence. That entire area is in its shade by about 2pm depending on the time of year. Its why i placed them there. I would wager there are a few hundred pods in that jungle. Most are from Scorpion plants common to Trinidad so they are heat loving peppers.

Unlike tomatoes, many peppers love shade in the afternoon when summer temps are peaking. Even varieties from tropical climates. It all depends on your summer time temps and day to night temp swings.

I was just out to the garden 8 tomato plants are eye level high. I'm 5.9 in my bare feet With the tomatoes and a walnut tree my peppers got sun starved @ about 6 hrs. of sun a day. Not enough for the ones I have. I did get a few Sweet peppers early as well as some bells but after the tomatoes took over the halos never had a chance. I've had this garden since about 1986 the soil is perfect.
In the spring I normally dress it with peat moss, manure, mulch and a light coat of Osmocote. Then I till it well with a Troy Built pony rear tine tiller. I let it settle for a week or so as my potted plants harden up.
After that I put the potted stuff in the ground And then plant all the seeded vegetables. All weather permitting. Then it's up to mother nature.
After spraying my fruit trees' I then go back to the garden and apply a little 12-12-12 back on the garden once the vegetables start bearing.
I Spay with sulfur or Malathion for bugs if needed.
This year I planted 10 Various tomato plants. 10 various pepper plants. 4 summer squash. 4 zukes squash, 2 rows of radishes, 2 rows of beans
8 cucumber plants and about 10 sunflowers for the birds. That's enough to keep me busy.
I have a peach tree that is loaded this year and had to cut down an old apple tree and a 32 year old blue spruce.
I have a hedge row of 12Ft. tall Techne Arbs you would like. That hedge is about 40 yds. long
I've said enough

How do you water them? I find drip system to be the best, sprinkler or watering can on the leaves leave too much moisture and humidity causing a number of diseases.

Bush, For me anything in a pot gets watered with a watering can about every 2 days if no rain.
As far as the in ground garden I use a hose with an adjustable nozzle on the end and spry in early morning be fore the sun gets up. They say not to spray vegetables in the hot sun. Normally I water the garden when the soil is dry and starting to show cracks.
If vegetable plants show leaf curl in the morning before sun they need water.
If they curl in the sun they are just protecting themselves from the heat of the sun but don't need water .
Tomatoes, corn and others will show heat curl to protect themselves. If they are fine in the morning no water needed.
I'm here in central Indiana, Thousands + thousands of acres soy beans and corn. Good climate for vegetables 5 months a year.
I plant after may 30th. where I live. Frost free

Back