My Squirrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Sparhawk

Reaction score
Our house is surrounded by woods with a variety of trees. My dad feeds the squirrels and birds corn and sunflower seeds in the front yard. I can go on my front porch in the afternoon and count anywhere from 10 to 19 squirrels and a dozen or more types of birds. They are not concerned about this virus one bit.
Awhile back, I noticed a squirrel burying feed out my bedroom window and noticed he loves to run up and down my ramps' hand rails. I asked dad to start putting a small pile out there for him.
I enjoy watching that little raskul bury seed here and there with a pile in front of him. He asks like he is gonna run out. He will get on the rail, afterwards, and lay on his belly like a dog. And I swear I believe he likes to listen to the news with me.
But guess what, we ran out of seed. And he just dug up a pile and ate his breakfast. Dad and I are going to town to stock up on gas, seed and feed, snuff, and go by the bank. We haven't left the house in 5 weeks. WE stocked up on food in February. Dad is very careful about keeping this bug off of him and we wear a N95 mask.
Moral of the story is animals instinctively stock up for rainy days and we should to. Oh, I went squirrel hunting at the river this winter and couldn't pull the trigger. Have I gotten soft hearted?

What surprises me is, how the hell do they know where they buried them 2 or more months later?
We have 9 feeders up and live smack dab in the middle of the woods. We have squirrels up to the wazoo. They can't get on any of the feeders for the electric wires. If they try it, they only try it once, especially after getting knocked off 10' or so. Birds? We have more than can be counted. I go through 2- 2# coffee cans of thistle a day with the gold finches. This year the pine siskin didn't show for some reason. They would eat seed directly from your hand.
One of the neighbors gave me a couple food quality 55gal barrels which we store seed in, of course inside the other building. There's a farm close by that we get seed from, very reasonable. Between black oil sunflower and thistle, about 300# a month. Yes...…. expensive, but the wife likes watching them. Oh I should also mention, the wife is good with my shooting and supplies (with reason of course). Oh, that electric wire...…. keeps bear away from the feeders :)
Enjoy

Wait till all that corn starts to come up when it germinates...Squirrels can smell their food I believe, they sure can tell when a nut is good to eat or not in the shell before they even start to gnaw on it.

By the way, corn fed squirrel meat is very tasty too!!:drool:

Last edited:
I enjoy watching the birds and wildlife also. Just make sure they dont find a way into yur barns or attic. Give a squirrel a day in the attic and it wll cost you big tiime.

What surprises me is, how the hell do they know where they buried them 2 or more months later?
We have 9 feeders up and live smack dab in the middle of the woods. We have squirrels up to the wazoo. They can't get on any of the feeders for the electric wires. If they try it, they only try it once, especially after getting knocked off 10' or so. Birds? We have more than can be counted. I go through 2- 2# coffee cans of thistle a day with the gold finches. This year the pine siskin didn't show for some reason. They would eat seed directly from your hand.
One of the neighbors gave me a couple food quality 55gal barrels which we store seed in, of course inside the other building. There's a farm close by that we get seed from, very reasonable. Between black oil sunflower and thistle, about 300# a month. Yes...…. expensive, but the wife likes watching them. Oh I should also mention, the wife is good with my shooting and supplies (with reason of course). Oh, that electric wire...…. keeps bear away from the feeders :)
Enjoy
We just back from the seed store. We got 100 lbs of corn and 50 lbs of sunflower seed. Our monthly bill is nowhere close to yours. Off subject, what formula do you use at different ranges, or do you use a phone app?

We just back from the seed store. We got 100 lbs of corn and 50 lbs of sunflower seed. Our monthly bill is nowhere close to yours. Off subject, what formula do you use at different ranges, or do you use a phone app?
I use this more often than not...... JBM - Calculations - Trajectory
I've used Strelok in the past, but will probably go with Applied Ballistics soon.
However, its only close with so many variables. I shoot then create my own DOPE card.

Latest posts

Back