My super 91 went to the Doc

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is too. Has to be to have put up with the crap I’ve put her through over the last 30 years this year,. I guess we kinda hi-jacked this thread. Sorry, Michiganmuzzy. Love to meet all you guys in person some day. Great bunch of guys on here. It’s 20 til 1 a.m. I think I’m gonna finish this beer and shut off Forensic Files and call it a night.

Mine is too. Has to be to have put up with the crap I’ve put her through over the last 30 years this year,. I guess we kinda hi-jacked this thread. Sorry, Michiganmuzzy. Love to meet all you guys in person some day. Great bunch of guys on here. It’s 20 til 1 a.m. I think I’m gonna finish this beer and shut off Forensic Files and call it a night.
G-nite my friend . Nice chat !!!

Just got off the fone with Doc White. I bought a S91 .451 on GB supposed to be in excellent condition. After cleaning and inspection i found that it had a recoil lug broke loose from its weld and something going on at the breech end of the barrel. Looked like the surface got beat up or gas cut bad. Anyway, i sent it to the Doc and he says that he will evaluate it and let me know what its gonna take to bring it back to top shape. He said to give him about a month. Fortunately i have several other MLs dialed in for the Michigan deer gun season starting the 15th.
What happened to your rifle? Did Doc fix it or return her yet? Just wondering how this turned out...

What happened to your rifle? Did Doc fix it or return her yet? Just wondering how this turned out...
I talked to him in mid March. He said he should have it back to me late April. He is replacing a broken lug with a larger lug and bedding it. Also having the trigger assembly replaced. I am going to call him this week for an update.

Just got off the fone with Doc. He is shipping it back to me this week. Bedded, new larger Lug, and a new Timney trigger on it. Also said he lapped the bore a little bit as he felt a slightly tight spot about 6" up from the breech. Then shot it and all was good but needs some JB Weld removed from the front sight screw hole unless i put a scope on it. I should have it back in a week-ish. Maybe the range will open soon 🤞

Just got off the fone with Doc. He is shipping it back to me this week. Bedded, new larger Lug, and a new Timney trigger on it. Also said he lapped the bore a little bit as he felt a slightly tight spot about 6" up from the breech. Then shot it and all was good but needs some JB Weld removed from the front sight screw hole unless i put a scope on it. I should have it back in a week-ish. Maybe the range will open soon 🤞
Good news MM! One of mine has a loose spot right above the bullet. Probably can’t fix that. Gonna mess with sizing and change the breech plug to a replaceable nipple design. See if I can get her to shoot... if not, I’ll re-barrel in .451 or .410
Last time I shot that rifle, groups were 6” at 100 yards. I know the flash hole is shot, gonna start there.

Good news MM! One of mine has a loose spot right above the bullet. Probably can’t fix that. Gonna mess with sizing and change the breech plug to a replaceable nipple design. See if I can get her to shoot... if not, I’ll re-barrel in .451 or .410
Last time I shot that rifle, groups were 6” at 100 yards. I know the flash hole is shot, gonna start there.

Is there a slight bulge in the barrel? Have you measured it? What would you do, order a custom barrel? BOY! am I nosey.

Is there a slight bulge in the barrel? Have you measured it? What would you do, order a custom barrel? BOY! am I nosey.
I have tried to measure it, but it’s right in the taper and hard to measure. I pushed a bullet into the loose spot from the muzzle, then turned around and pushed it back out from the breech, the bullet measured .5045-.505”. I know the guy I bought it from shot NE 460’s out of it which are sized .5035, so my guess is yeah, it’s a bulge. Bullet probably came off the powder and was shot. I haven’t tried a little larger sized bullets like, .505 out of it yet. I’ll see what happens...

Gotta get my chores done first. That cat always wants to sit on my lap when im at the gun workbench. She knows when a gun comes in the house it means quality time.

Latest posts

Back