My super 91 went to the Doc

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you like that graphic?
I've been thinking of having one hydro dipped.
Its the second gun ive had with it. The first one fooled me when i bought it, i thought it was real wood til i picked it up. I like it. One down side tho is if it gets scratches you cant just sand and refinish it.

Im finally at the range now. 6 shots. 60grn Swiss ffg. 346grn 40:1 lead tin. Wool wad. 25 yards sight in. #1 left and high. Adjust and #2 a lil left and high. Adjust and put 2 touching almost one hole. Adjust then 2 more touching. Moving to 50yd soon.
20200528_132923_HDR.jpg20200528_132930_HDR.jpg

Shot more at 100. I need a taller smaller tront sight. I still have to hold 6 oclock. Shot some more.
20200528_165642.jpg
Last 2 are with same load but White 460grn i shot one with a center hold then one with at 6
20200528_172757_HDR.jpg
It could be better. But ive never shot peep at 100yd or real black powder before.

Last edited:
The gun looks like it’s gonna shoot! 100 yards with open sights.... not too shabby!

I should have listened when IdahoLewis said pull that breech plug and clean it after 6-8 shots. It was stuck good. I didnt use Sideshows teflon thread sealant either. Just the teflon tape. Fortunately i have an impact driver that got the plug out without any damage. And the steamcleaner made the plug look like new.

I should have listened when IdahoLewis said pull that breech plug and clean it after 6-8 shots. It was stuck good. I didnt use Sideshows teflon thread sealant either. Just the teflon tape. Fortunately i have an impact driver that got the plug out without any damage. And the steamcleaner made the plug look like new.

First thing I purchased for my Optima V2 pistol's breech plug was a 4 oz. can of the Permatex #80632 Thread Sealant w/PTFE.

I'm trying to learn from everyone else's bad experiences.

First thing I purchased for my Optima V2 pistol's breech plug was a 4 oz. can of the Permatex #80632 Thread Sealant w/PTFE.

I'm trying to learn from everyone else's bad experiences.
I can tell you all, that Teflon tape is the best thing ever. I have tried every anti-seize I could get ahold of. Teflon taped breech plug, spins right out. This plug was pulled yesterday after 12+ shots on Monday with Swiss BP. Came right out....

Attachments

• 42572120-004A-4F66-84DC-883B932B69BD.jpeg
    42572120-004A-4F66-84DC-883B932B69BD.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 6

The Permatex 80632 works REALLY REALLY well for my Typical 6 Shots (1 fouler, and a 5 Shot Group) This was my findings back when i tested/Reviewed it.

With the Permatex 80632 after 5-6 Shots, When i get home i can Simply loosen the Nipple with a Wrench, and back it out with my Thumb and index finger, Which is something i could NEVER do when i used Breech Plug Grease. BUT i have since tested the Permatex 80632 Further, After 10 Shots or more, The Nipple will Seize JUST THE SAME as with Breech Plug Grease, so in the End I’ve found that the Permatex 80632 is really not much, if any better than Breech Plug Grease, NO DOUBT It Works/Helps, But it’s definitely NOT a Cure/Fix All

The 1 Downside i find to the Permatex 80632 is Cleanup, That stuff is MUCH MUCH more difficult/stubborn to Clean, In fact i have Nipples that Stil have it on them Even After a Steam Cleaning, If i want it ALL Cleaned off, i chase the Threads with a Broken Tooth Pick to Clean it out. I can ONLY imagine the Threads inside a Reciever of an inline with this Permatex 80632, they are already difficult to THOROUGHLY Clean, You will end up with this 80632 in the Threads to Stay

In the End, i use Both the Permatex 80632, and Breech Plug Grease,I Gravitate more toward the Grease due to it being MUCH MUCH easier to Clean with Soap and Water. No matter which product i use, i can break the Nipples Loose no problem after my Typical 5-6 Shots (80632 has the Edge), it’s after the 5-6 Shots where the Seized up Problem Happens

Last edited:
If you’re shooting a regular old breech plug, not a Bestill or Lehigh rear sealing plug, (I have zero experience with those as, I don’t have one) I would use the Teflon tape. I was really scared to try it because of how bad my plugs would get stuck at times. I too have had to stick a socket on my cordless impact before to get one out, talk about scary. I was absolutely amazed at how easy it came out.
Like Lewis, I just use grease on the nipple. Docs blue grease. It’s still a little messy, but not bad to clean cause you can get to everything easily. On those coarse threads on the breechplug though, I will never use anything other than Teflon tape again... 30 seconds with an old bronze bore brush, and it’s gone, clean as a whistle, plus it doesn’t leave a big streak in the bottom of your spic and span receiver while your installing it, to have to clean up again.

All I've ever used with My White breech plugs is cheap gun grease in liberal amounts. Never had a bp stick regardless of number of shots taken. If I was to do anything else it would be Teflon tape.

I use TC breech plug grease on all my plugs and nipples in all my guns. Have never had a problem getting them to screw back out even after20, 30 and 40 round sessions.
Only time I ever had a problem was when I forgot to grease a plug while using 777.

Moly grease/paste for auto/motorcyle applications. Stuff is horrid to remove from your hands but NOTHING sticks. Honda sells tubes of it for use on drive shaft splines. This tube is around $10. Loctite sells small tubs with 65% moly also

Molypaste-3-4-cc.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back