Mystery long range underhammer rifle by K R Bresien

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have read Ned Robert's "The Muzzlleloading Caplock Rifle" a few times. When I found a target rifle built in the style of Brockway/Pope/Schalck I pounced on it. I will post some photos below.
The action is marked K R Bresien, Warsaw, NY and came with 2 barrels. One is a 36" Green Mountain 50cal that I found to have a 1:72 twist, and takes a .490 ball with patch very nicely.
The 1.25" round barrel is marked E B Meanley, Effingham, NH. I don't know if he built the barrel or was the original owner. It came with Anschutz and Redfield sights, a false muzzle, has a closed ignition system using a percussion cap, and also has a 1:72 twist. With this barrel on the action the rifle weighs 14 pounds. I thought it would also be 50cal, but a patched .490 ball will fall into the bore, so I slugged the false muzzle. It slugs as .5215/.5420, 52Cal. I have seen a listing of one other Bresien rifle as 52Cal , so I would tend to think that he also built this barrel and EB Meanley may have been the original owner. I found that Mr Bresien passed away in 2014, so I cannot ask him.
I need to determine where to start in terms of bullet mold design I was really surprised at the 1:72 twist (one half turn on a tight patched rod over the length of the 36" bbl), and it does not appear to be a gain twist. The grooves are 0.02" deep. I really don't think that the intent was to shoot patched round ball in this barrel. I could have a tapered bullet mold made up, with the taper running from .52 - .54 and put a 32ga (.530") overpowder card under it to minimize blow-by. I am concerned that there would be pounding involved with seating components. I don't think the early shooters with this style rifle did that. I only see statements of short starting bullets with a hand slap before lightly pushing the bullets home. The depth of the groove is probably telling me what it needs. I'm just not quiet sure if this is where to start.
Bench-Target-Percussion-Underhammer-50Cal-Stk-P-77-3_101649065_82756_DFFFBCF0BA340258.jpg
Bench-Target-Percussion-Underhammer-50Cal-Stk-P-77-3_101649065_82756_959644A5DB8BB75C.jpg

I am of no help but interested in the rifle and what you find.

You might want to get in touch with a guy with the screen name Fleener over at American Longrifles forum. I know he shoots the long range 800-1000 yard shoots. He, and a couple of guys that post here can probably steer you in the correct direction to be successful with the new rifle.

Thank you, I will have to find him. Meanwhile I have found that E B Meanly stamped on the target barrel is Edmund Branch Meanley, and that Branch Meanley Jr. is in the NMLRA Rifle Hall of Fame. I have been meaning to reinstate my membership at NMLRA. Now would be a good time to do that.

An update of sorts. I found a "Meet The Buiders" article in a 1984 Rifle Magazine that covers Ken Bresien. This rifle is made from his No.3 Bench Action. One of Ken's specialties was the round ball bench rifle. Apparently he would sell the action alone, and the buyer could mount what ever barrel he wanted on it. My gunsmith strongly feels that the 50cal octagon round ball barrel that I did not show in the photos is actually the original barrel, as the flats match up with the receiver. The 1 1/4" round barrel with sealed ignition for #11 cap and false muzzle were added later. The octagon barrel came to me with a Redfield rear sight, and no front sight. This barrel has 0.420 dovetails cut into it for sights. I am having this drilled and tapped for a Redfield Globe front sight like that on the round barrel. Then I should be able to shoot that barrel while I figure out what to do with the 52cal. With a 1:72 twist I would think that it will take a .515 - .520 round ball with heavy patch, the bore slugging to 0.5215 - 0.542

It is what they call light bench rifle and they usually shoot an oversized roundball . A trip to Friendship will answer most questions . This would be in June or Sept.

Meanly , Branch he is called used to own Green Mountain Barrel, as he was the founder

I have read Ned Robert's "The Muzzlleloading Caplock Rifle" a few times. When I found a target rifle built in the style of Brockway/Pope/Schalck I pounced on it. I will post some photos below.
The action is marked K R Bresien, Warsaw, NY and came with 2 barrels. One is a 36" Green Mountain 50cal that I found to have a 1:72 twist, and takes a .490 ball with patch very nicely.
The 1.25" round barrel is marked E B Meanley, Effingham, NH. I don't know if he built the barrel or was the original owner. It came with Anschutz and Redfield sights, a false muzzle, has a closed ignition system using a percussion cap, and also has a 1:72 twist. With this barrel on the action the rifle weighs 14 pounds. I thought it would also be 50cal, but a patched .490 ball will fall into the bore, so I slugged the false muzzle. It slugs as .5215/.5420, 52Cal. I have seen a listing of one other Bresien rifle as 52Cal , so I would tend to think that he also built this barrel and EB Meanley may have been the original owner. I found that Mr Bresien passed away in 2014, so I cannot ask him.
I need to determine where to start in terms of bullet mold design I was really surprised at the 1:72 twist (one half turn on a tight patched rod over the length of the 36" bbl), and it does not appear to be a gain twist. The grooves are 0.02" deep. I really don't think that the intent was to shoot patched round ball in this barrel. I could have a tapered bullet mold made up, with the taper running from .52 - .54 and put a 32ga (.530") overpowder card under it to minimize blow-by. I am concerned that there would be pounding involved with seating components. I don't think the early shooters with this style rifle did that. I only see statements of short starting bullets with a hand slap before lightly pushing the bullets home. The depth of the groove is probably telling me what it needs. I'm just not quiet sure if this is where to start.
View attachment 16887
View attachment 16888
I has a couple of Bresien guns when I was shooting in the 1980's - 40 cal offhand and a 50 cal heavy bench. The action and barrel was from him on both. They were almost unbeatable - just tell it what to do and it will do it. I don't shoot anymore but would love to touch off another Bresein one of these days. Almost felt that I was shooting a modern day Pope. Loved them. Story behind the bench gun. I was shooting my rig against the guy from Memphis that had the Bresien. He and that gun were tough. He mentioned one day that he wanted to shoot shotgun.....so I bought the Bresien from him. Problem solved. For those that shot in Texas in the 1980's an older gentleman named E.A Gatis ( sp) had a 62 cal Bresien bench gun. He and that gun were legend. Happy shooting.

Back