MZ and air travel?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LanceS4803

Reaction score
Looking into going to Canada for a guided bear hunt, but have questions on traveling.
I can't take my BH209 if I fly, so I guess I would have to rely on the guide to get this up there? I really can't count on any store having anything in stock at this point in time.
Primers (or "caps") appear to be out also.
I looked through old posts and it appears nothing has changed in the last couple of years.

Option is to drive the 24 hours. At least I won't have to worry about shipping meat/hide home.
Or, break down and just take a centerfire, no problem at all then.

My brother and I went bear hunting in Canada a couple of times with our muzzleloaders and we had no problem.We live in n.e. Indiana and it did not take us that long to get there.I lived in Tn.in a town called Seymour before you get to Severville.I did a bear hunt once in a place called Ducktown.We used dogs to do that,but never will I do it again.

Can you ship it to the destination?

Apparently, only if I buy from a distributor and have it shipped there. I can not send it personally, either to the guide or addressed to myself.

I remember years ago reading about someone who had the same dilemma as you.
He was a reloader. He filled up a few boxes of center fire brass with black powder and primers. I believe he used 45-70 brass. He would use an under sized bullet to cap off the brass using silicone to hold the bullet in place. When he got to his destination, all he had to do was pull the bullet out of the case to access his powder and primers.
Not promoting or recommending what this guy did. Just sayin'.:think:

Yea it's my understanding it's illegal to have loose powder or primers as your checked or carry on. If you were to take a few shotshells and load them up with bh209 and a wad then a box of projectiles then you could just disassemble at your destination.
I also believe it wouldn't be illegal at all. Just using policies and law to adapt to an undesirable situation.

Yea it's my understanding it's illegal to have loose powder or primers as your checked or carry on. If you were to take a few shotshells and load them up with bh209 and a wad then a box of projectiles then you could just disassemble at your destination.

I've seen this solution, also. Just lightly press the primers in place, and manually recrimp.

NOT FOR AIR TRAVEL..............

Ammunition

You may import authorized sporting and competitive ammunition and reloading components for your personal use.
Quantities that may be imported for personal use and not for sale without requiring an Explosives Importation Permit from Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) include:
  • small-arms, sporting ammunition, up to a maximum of 5,000 rounds;
  • primers, up to a quantity of 5,000;
  • empty primed cartridge cases, up to a quantity of 5,000; and
  • propellants, smokeless powder in containers not exceeding 4 kilograms and black powder in containers not exceeding 500 grams, up to a maximum total combined quantity of 8 kilograms, (17.66 pounds).
Consult with the Explosives Regulatory Division at NRCan to determine if the ammunition you wish to import is authorized and approved for importation and use in Canada. Note that tracer, armour-piercing and similar military cartridges are prohibited under Canadian law.
Within these limits, non-residents can import 200 rounds duty free for hunting purposes, or up to 1,500 rounds duty free for use at a recognized competition.
You can make arrangements to import larger quantities through a Canadian shooting association, committee or federation for team practice and competition at meets. For information on permits to import quantities of ammunition in excess of those mentioned above or for the purposes of sale, contact:
Explosives Regulatory Division
Natural Resources Canada
1431 Merivale Road
Ottawa ON K2E 1B9
Telephone: 613-948-5200
Fax: 613-948-5195
Email: [email protected]
Web site: www.nrcan.gc.ca

Driving (if you have the time) would be better than flying. What ever you decide to do, call in advance and get all the paperwork in order and carry copies. Try to anticipate all the crazy things. Example; Flying with Mz ldr from Indianapolis to Montana, was asked to prove the gun was not loaded. I had pulled the nipple on my 54 Hawken and ran a string thru the barrel so I could pull it back and forth. Flying with a firearm can be crazy, Indianapolis dumped my gun case onto the turntable with everyone else's luggage. OKC had me report to Lost and Found to retrieve it.

Latest posts

Back