N110 or N120

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperKirby

Reaction score
Looking for some clarification. I understand N110 is a bit hotter. Which do I want? I've been shooting 58 gr. H4198. I've seen both in stock at Scheels. Never knew for sure which one I needed to grab. Seems like both are recommended but not always? I'm shooting a 275 gr. Fury smooth sized over a veggie wad. Not looking to duplex or anything. Which would be the recommended powder?

Looking for some clarification. I understand N110 is a bit hotter. Which do I want? I've been shooting 58 gr. H4198. I've seen both in stock at Scheels. Never knew for sure which one I needed to grab. Seems like both are recommended but not always? I'm shooting a 275 gr. Fury smooth sized over a veggie wad. Not looking to duplex or anything. Which would be the recommended powder?
With that weight of bullet the 4198 would be a better choice. The V110 of which i have n i have both. You don't need the V110 over 38 gr. Its very fast rifle powder, i have never used over 37 gr in my .45 sml with 200 gr bullets

I was just thinking that i would use the n120 for bullets 300+ grains and n110 for the lighter bullets. I was running some loads with n110 in QuickLoads just last night. Ive got plenty of the 4198 but want to try out the n110.
The RL 7 runs very close to the 4198, i have almost a lb i use just like 4198 gr for gr. I also use Blue dot with lighter bullets.

LBAhunter has some real good insights on N110 Kirby. Hopefully he'll hop on board here.

Last edited:
In those same traces, 45e thru 48e compares N120 and 4198. Looks like 4198 is lower pressure than N120. By the trace, you can run a few more grains of 4198 than N120. I hope your shoulder is up to the task of shooting those heavy loads in a Scout....lol.... I think a guy on one of other boards is using 4227 with 275gr bullets in a Scout, around 50-something gr.

Last edited:
I'm not shooting anything too special. It's 23" Remmage barrel on an Rem Ultimate Muzzleloader receiver. No powder chamber, large rifle primers in Hankins ignition. I have a few pounds of H4198 and a couple more pounds of I4198. I've seen N110 and N120 at Scheels and figured I maybe ought to grab a couple pounds for experimenting and as a general backup. Just didn't know which was the better powder for my application. If I'm reading all that right it seems like sticking with 4198 is probably my best bet, but grabbing some N110 would be my next best?

Forecasting 36 for here on Monday and I'll be on the range checking a couple powders. That cold is here right now.... still -4 at 11AM.

Latest posts

Back