Name These bullet Cross Sections? Help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1593710627241.png

Jimmer posted these about 18 months ago but they wern't labled. I'm trying to figure out what is what. Can the experts ( perhaps even Jimmer ) wiegh in?

Thanks.

left to right.....250gr SST...250gr TC Shockwave....300gr? TC Bonded Shockwave....275gr? Parker Ballistic Extreme.....300gr SST or 325gr FTX....hard to tell for sure but i see a cannelure on it

The only one I’m confident in saying i know, is the Parker (Black Tip) I have shot them before. The Far right Bullet looks like an FTX, I have Shot them as well

For awhile Hornady sold bulk FTX and SSTs in similar weights. The ML version had no cannelure. Not sure if all the CF versions did or not. The 325gr FTX did for sure.

What exactly does bonded mean? I assume the lead core is somehow attached the copper jacket but is there a quick and easy explanation on the how? I also thought the blue tip represents a bonded bullet but I thought it would look a little different when cut in half.

How much more confidence would one have in a bonded vs non bonded bullet for terminal performance?

For awhile Hornady sold bulk FTX and SSTs in similar weights. The ML version had no cannelure. Not sure if all the CF versions did or not. The 325gr FTX did for sure.
I HAVE 45CAL. 250GR. FTX NO CANNELURE. I HAVE 44 AND 35 CAL FTX THAT DO HAVE CANNELURE

AS FAR AS BONDED JACKETS I HAVE GREAT CINFIDENCE IN A BONDED BULLET FOR HUNTING. THE BULLET WILL NORMALLY STAY TOGETHER AND NOT FRAGMENT THE JACKET. MY DEER HUNTING IS WITH A BONDED BULLET ONLY SAME APPLYS FOR ELK. THEY COST A LITTLE MORE BUT THE RELYABILITY IS WORTH IT TO ME. FOR MUZZLE LOADING FURY MAKES A VERY GOOD BONDED BULLET. FOR CENTER FIER NOSLER MAKES THE ACCUBOND LINE. THE BETTER TARGET BULLETS ARE UNBONDED JACKETS I HAVE SHOT HORNADY, BERGER , NOSLER, AND JLK'S @TARGET ALL WITH GOOD SUCCES.

Latest posts

Back