Navy Arms inline 12 gauge shotgun with Poly Choke

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newday

Reaction score
Just bought a Navy Arms inline 12 gauge shotgun with Poly Choke. I bought it from a old man that didn't know much about it except it hadn't been used and takes 11 caps. I am looking for any info on this muzzle loader. Like card and wad sizes, really just any loading ideas. Brand new to muzzle loaders. Any help would be appreciated.20210401_173822.jpg

Just bought a Navy Arms inline 12 gauge shotgun with Poly Choke. I bought it from a old man that didn't know much about it except it hadn't been used and takes 11 caps. I am looking for any info on this muzzle loader. Like card and wad sizes, really just any loading ideas. Brand new to muzzle loaders. Any help would be appreciated.View attachment 14031
Nice score. I'm no where near new to ML's but I am very new to BP shotguns. Last yr I got my 1st. An older model Pedersoli 12ga Dbl barrel 30" Mod/Imp barrels. I got some thin card over shot cards/wads & some 1/4" ones for over powder & some real think wads for over powder wads. I've messed with various charges of Goex & T7 & still havent gotten the thing to pattern well enough to hunt with. So Its been sittin in a case. I wish you success with yours & wish I could help more. I still have a lot to learn myself. It can get pretty complex

You can get a volume measure for the powder and shot. I think traditions has them. I had a similar shotgun at one time. I used regular 12 gauge shot wads and a thin overshot card. My best load was 1 1/4 oz of #4 shot. I think the powder charge from the volume measure equaled about 80 grains.
The only pain in the butt is that you will probably have to remove the choke to load the gun.

Nice score. I'm no where near new to ML's but I am very new to BP shotguns. Last yr I got my 1st. An older model Pedersoli 12ga Dbl barrel 30" Mod/Imp barrels. I got some thin card over shot cards/wads & some 1/4" ones for over powder & some real think wads for over powder wads. I've messed with various charges of Goex & T7 & still havent gotten the thing to pattern well enough to hunt with. So Its been sittin in a case. I wish you success with yours & wish I could help more. I still have a lot to learn myself. It can get pretty complex
Thanks appreciate the info. Yeah we will see how well I will get it to pattern. I plan on putting a scope on it, it is tapped for one. I wonder how hard it will be to sight in. lol

You can get a volume measure for the powder and shot. I think traditions has them. I had a similar shotgun at one time. I used regular 12 gauge shot wads and a thin overshot card. My best load was 1 1/4 oz of #4 shot. I think the powder charge from the volume measure equaled about 80 grains.
The only pain in the butt is that you will probably have to remove the choke to load the gun.
Yeah I was wondering if I would have to take the choke off to load it. I didnt know if I could open the choke all the way to load it, but I think the choke open all the way is still tighter then the barrel. But it is just one screw. Not to bad.

"Squared" loads (equal volume of FFg and shot) will generally deliver the best results. You can increase the shot a bit but if you increase powder only it usually will blow holes in your pattern. TC and Pedersoli both offered screw in choke tubes but anything tighter than Modified had real issues with loading and the tube had to be removed to get the shot wad past the choke. A wad small enough to pass the choke does not properly seal the bore. Use fiber or card wads only...Over the years I've seen a number of guns where someone tried plastic shot cups for cartridges used and the plastic melted in the bore and very hard to clean out. I think Ox Yoke offered a special plastic wad for MLs but haven't seen them in years.

My White .12 ga thunder shotgun with straight rifling has a xfull choke. I load it without removing the choke with 75 gr of 2fg T7 over powder wad 1 1/8oz. of magnum #6 shot and a card wad. It kills squirrel's out to 30 yds.
I had a TC System One shotgun it killed squirrel's, but wounded some too. I did kill a turkey with it, but not consistent and sold it.

i used to get these when i was a dealer for 99.00.i think navy imported them from china.The chokes were rough to use and the ramrods were bent.lol good shooting.One customer laughed that they could shoot around corners.

i used to get these when i was a dealer for 99.00.i think navy imported them from china.The chokes were rough to use and the ramrods were bent.lol good shooting.One customer laughed that they could shoot around corners.
lol Well the rod is straight and the choke is good as long as you dont screw it down to tight. I havent fired it yet. Yeah I paid 110 for it. Just something cheap to start out with

lol Well the rod is straight and the choke is good as long as you dont screw it down to tight. I havent fired it yet. Yeah I paid 110 for it. Just something cheap to start out with
THE GUYS around here loved them..i wish id of kept one.they are pistol gripped so theres no law saying that you cant make a pistola out of it. ALL chrome or stainless bolts also as i remember.ELMER FUDDS GUN LOL they work.How can ya beat it.cant buy a pellet rifle for that price.

THE GUYS around here loved them..i wish id of kept one.they are pistol gripped so theres no law saying that you cant make a pistola out of it. ALL chrome or stainless bolts also as i remember.ELMER FUDDS GUN LOL they work.How can ya beat it.cant buy a pellet rifle for that price.
I have a Question. What size pumpkin ball would you use in a 12 gauge barrel. A friend is making me a ring to go over the threads that the choke fits on.

those choked guns i had ..a newenglander i got rid of because they ripped the patch and hung up and were miserable to load.I Use the lee mold that lets you use a shot cup. its 1 oz.i do have a mold for a h+r muzzleloading shot gun a round ball..i cant re and cant find any writing on it.

Back