NECG N106 - need a little help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Fire danger finally subsided enough to get the Knight long range hunter out to sight it in and test loads. I read a post from Sabot loader to get the windage adjusted first before tackling elevation. I did that and then began the elevation adjustment. Come to find out I cannot gain enough elevation to zero at 100 yds, I am a solid 5 inches low at 100, maybe a bit more. I have seen several posts on this but nothing I can connect directly to this sight setup. I am going to call NECG tomorrow and hopefully they can help but there is so much experience on here I thought I would see what you all could share on this.

A few bits of good news. the Peep held windage throughout the days shooting, it is currently nearly perfect left and right. It also appears the gun likes Barnes 290 TEZ bullets and 100 grains of powder, groups were pretty good when not trying to adjust.

I really like the front sight on this gun, it is green fiber and a very small diameter, not archery sight small, but the smallest diameter I have seen on a muzzleloader. I don't have much time until my next hunt and if I cannot get this solved I can put the factory buckhorn back on the get me through this season but I sure hope to find a solution. My elk hunt is first week of October.

Thanks in advance

Pike

Last edited:
What kind of scope base do you have the NECG mounted on? If it is a low base you might move to a S45 Weaver base that is taller than a low mount and gain some elevation there. The other method would be to change out the front fiber optic with a lower Williams fiber optic. Probably might need a .250N as a replacement.

Thanks for the reply Sabotloader. They look like the leupold Rifleman that knight shows on their website. I will look at your suggestions, thank you. I was hoping to keep this front sight, it is made by williams but it thinner than the others I have seen from them. Great sight picture with the .125 aperture. Would the base alone get me enough elevation?

That's an easy fix on the traditional sidelock with a brass blade front sight. Simply file down the front sight a bit to gain elevation.
Not exactly sure how to fix fiber optic sights.

ok, looking at the mounts I have it looks like they are the low profile. I am going to try and find some lk-93 (Leupold 56503). Sabotloader, I am assuming these are the same as the s45 but if they are not, please let me know. Also, I am just guessing looking at the pics so if you have any thoughts on trying this let me know. As always, your posts are most appreciated, as is all the folks on this site.

Might be a dumb idea but if your peep sight is mounted on a regular scope rail, would it be possible to file down a notch in the rail to get your rear sight lower. You probably wouldn't have to take off much, 1/16 inch or so.

Might be a dumb idea but if your peep sight is mounted on a regular scope rail, would it be possible to file down a notch in the rail to get your rear sight lower. You probably wouldn't have to take off much, 1/16 inch or so.

Thanks, appreciate you giving this some thought. As I understand it, I need my peep higher or the front sight lower.

ok, looking at the mounts I have it looks like they are the low profile. I am going to try and find some lk-93 (Leupold 56503). Sabotloader, I am assuming these are the same as the s45 but if they are not, please let me know. Also, I am just guessing looking at the pics so if you have any thoughts on trying this let me know. As always, your posts are most appreciated, as is all the folks on this site.

This is a pic of a Weaver S45. Compare this to what you have and the Leopold that you are looking at.

Weaver-S45.jpg

Your picture are the ones that should work. By going to the taller rear mount you are pushing the stock down and lifting the muzzle.

Yes, the pic you show are the correct set.. Just when I check the 56503 number I get a different look.

With your NECG did you get two elevation posts?

I’m working on a similar setup. N106 on a Warne base, which is pretty low profile. I have a mountaineer though. I swapped the front sight to a .250. So far at 50yds it’s working out. I will be working it out on some longer distances this week.

I’m working on a similar setup. N106 on a Warne base, which is pretty low profile. I have a mountaineer though. I swapped the front sight to a .250. So far at 50yds it’s working out. I will be working it out on some longer distances this week.

I would appreciate hearing how that turns out. is that the front ramp(less than 2inch screw spacing) and .250N that Williams sells?

I would appreciate hearing how that turns out. is that the front ramp(less than 2inch screw spacing) and .250N that Williams sells?

It is. “Streamlined” I think they call it. I also put the open top hood on it.

also only got one slide with my rear sight, but it does allow for the maximum elevation.

Shot yesterday, 75, 100, and 150yds. With the .250 front sight, Warne base and the n106 at max elevation I was able to get on target. I am using a 6:00 hold though. If you use the center of the fiber, you should have plenty of elevation. My groups weren’t as good as I’d hoped. Slightly over paper plate size. I suppose that’s not terrible for a lightweight gun with irons at 150yds. I do really like the setup though

Back