Need a new nipple

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sealer

Reaction score
I am having trouble finding a new nipple for my Knight MK85. It is 1/4 x 28.
The big question is are the other nipple manufacturer's nipples the same length ? i.e. CVA, T/C, Traditions
TIA, Dennis

With the AMPCO you will probably need to drill the flash hole out to .031. The AMPCO is more or less built for real BP.

The Lehigh works well.

11-Composite2.jpg

But are they the same length ?
Or will a small difference in length matter ?
Dennis

Won't matter a bit. The Tresco/ Ampco nipples are the best! They don't peen or ding up your striker face, are at least as long lasting as stainless and don't wear the threads in your breechplug. I've seen some stainless and carbon steel nipples with rough threads...
I've been using these nipples exclusively for 15 years with no complaints at all. I get about 400 shots before replacement.

I shoot the DAYLIGHTS out of Treso/Ampco Nipples, They are the Most Durable nipple i have used, Besides Platinum lined of Course.

The Treso/Ampcos have Tiny .028 Flash Holes, i actually get .027 with my “Cheap” Pin Gauges, This tiny Flash Hole works STELLAR with Swiss Real Blackpowder (Which is All i use) I can get the Treso/Ampco nipples from BACO (Buffalo Arms Co.) for under 5 Bucks a Piece. As Sabotloader said, With Substitute Powders you would need to Drill the Flash Hole out to .031 for Reliable Ignition.

I have a Brand New Lehigh No. 11 Nipple that i plan to Start Testing Durability of Soon, I believe they will be GREAT, At least my Lehigh Vent liner in my Knight Mountaineer was, I suspect this Lehigh Nipple to be just as Good, Hopefully anyway! The only downside i see is the Cost Difference, The Lehigh is nearly Twice the Cost of the Treso/Ampcos, plus 8 more Dollars to Ship it (Unless they changed?) I could buy 3 Treso/Ampcos for that Price, and i have WELL Proven the Treso/Ampcos Durability.

I too had to drill out the AMPCO nipples to ignite 777 powder reliably, but they are a good nipple. I use only the Knight Red Hots in my MK. Have not tried the Lehigh yet.

No dog in this hunt and i have no idea what alloy Ampco uses but S7 tool steel is some very tough steel.

My rule of thumb is the smaller the flash hole the better as long as you get reliable ignition. For the Goex or Swiss powder I shoot .028 is reliable and accurate.

I shoot the DAYLIGHTS out of Treso/Ampco Nipples, They are the Most Durable nipple i have used, Besides Platinum lined of Course.

The Treso/Ampcos have Tiny .028 Flash Holes, i actually get .027 with my “Cheap” Pin Gauges, This tiny Flash Hole works STELLAR with Swiss Real Blackpowder (Which is All i use) I can get the Treso/Ampco nipples from BACO (Buffalo Arms Co.) for under 5 Bucks a Piece. As Sabotloader said, With Substitute Powders you would need to Drill the Flash Hole out to .031 for Reliable Ignition.

I have a Brand New Lehigh No. 11 Nipple that i plan to Start Testing Durability of Soon, I believe they will be GREAT, At least my Lehigh Vent liner in my Knight Mountaineer was, I suspect this Lehigh Nipple to be just as Good, Hopefully anyway! The only downside i see is the Cost Difference, The Lehigh is nearly Twice the Cost of the Treso/Ampcos, plus 8 more Dollars to Ship it (Unless they changed?) I could buy 3 Treso/Ampcos for that Price, and i have WELL Proven the Treso/Ampcos Durability.

I know I tested the Tresco nipple with Pryodex P, 777-3F and Swiss 2F & 3F with no issues.

I don’t shoot enough Substitute powders to know this for sure, nor have I studied/read about them to speak of. But I believe Certain conditions can play a Role in ignition, like REALLY Cold weather (Weather Extremes) A good example is my Dad on an Elk Hunt MANY Years ago. He had worked up a Load using Pyrodex RS in his .54 Cal TC Renegade. He tested this Load NUMEROUS Times Through the Summer/Fall, Paying VERY Close attention to the Cold Bore shot each outing, He had it Down, No issues of ANY Kind, The Rifle Went Off IMMEDIATELY Every outing. He loads up with FULL CONFIDENCE for Opening Morning of Elk, This was a Spike Bull Only, Muzzleloader ONLY Hunt. Dad found a Spike Bull Opening morning (Needle in a Haystack!) There was about 2 Ft of Snow on the Ground, and REALLY Cold, The Bull was 75-80 Yards, (DUCK SOUP EASY Shot!!!) He pulls up, POP.........................BOOM, Bad HANGFIRE! Of course he misses the Bull, He loads back up and Spends the Rest of the Day tracking the Elk Through The Mountains in hopes of another Shot, But never seen them again. Dad HATES Pyrodex :D

What was different here from his Load Development, to the hunt? The Weather, It was Warmer weather when he Developed the Load, The hunt took place in EXTREME Cold, Down Around 0 Degrees, He hadn’t Tested in this Cold. It Could have been a Flash Hole to Small? But why did it Work in Warmer Weather? Maybe Moisture? But Dad understood WELL that taking a rifle from Cold to Warm Etc. Would Cause the Barrel to Sweat, He was REALLY CAREFUL in everything he did here, Yet he stil had a Hangfire that Costed him an Elk. One can Theorize all they want, But No one will ever know EXACTLY What happened here? Dad JUNKED the Pyrodex and has never Used it again since, He started using Real Blackpowder

I tried Pyrodex P and Had HORRIBLE Hangfires, I was intentionally using Worn nipples with larger Flash Holes, I stil Got CONSISTENT Hangfires, Even partial ignition? 2 different outings i had what i refer to as “Fizzled” Shots, The Rifle went off But it Sounded REALLY odd? And hardly any Felt Recoil? The Bullets exited the Bore, But were not on Target, no idea where they went? I got rid of my Can of Pyrodex P by Way of a Lighter, I have never looked at Pyrodex as an option again. I have a Can of 777-3F and it has Worked Flawless the few times i have tried it.

It is HARD for me to mess with Substitute Powders after Shooting Swiss Real Blackpowder, There just isn’t ANYTHING that compares to Real Blackpowder when it comes to Reliable, IMMEDIATE Ignition. You don’t have to worry about Flash Hole size (i even shoot a Platinum Lined nipple that has a Tiny .026 Flash Hole) You Don’t have to Worry about Compression on the Powder, etc. etc. Just keep it Dry, show it the Tiniest of Spark and it’s GONE

Knowing what i do now, if i were to move to an Area where Swiss Real Blackpowder Wasn’t available, i Would GLADLY Pay the Hazmat fee and Order it before i messed with Substitute Powders

I hear ya sir, and am of no desire to argue, but my experiences differ. You have much more knowledge, experience and capabilities than I will ever have, and I read on your fast twist posts in awe and envy, so please don’t take my comments the wrong way. In my cappers (of course) I have been shooting Pyrodex since I bought my first TC Hawken in 1997. I live where it gets cold and have never once had an issue. My favourite is Pyro P as it provides consistent accuracy in my .50 GPH and .54 Renegade, both with 90gr charges. I do still have a few cans of RS and Select, but due to the coarse grains of these two powders I had trouble with them pouring from the flask, thus the initial try and subsequent switch to P. Always has been reliable for me in every scenario, situation and weather condition, even in a hunt through a couple days of decent rainfall (I was worried then, but everyone would have been regardless of powder choice).
Just my 0.02 worth.
Walk

I hear ya sir, and am of no desire to argue, but my experiences differ. You have much more knowledge, experience and capabilities than I will ever have, and I read on your fast twist posts in awe and envy, so please don’t take my comments the wrong way. In my cappers (of course) I have been shooting Pyrodex since I bought my first TC Hawken in 1997. I live where it gets cold and have never once had an issue. My favourite is Pyro P as it provides consistent accuracy in my .50 GPH and .54 Renegade, both with 90gr charges. I do still have a few cans of RS and Select, but due to the coarse grains of these two powders I had trouble with them pouring from the flask, thus the initial try and subsequent switch to P. Always has been reliable for me in every scenario, situation and weather condition, even in a hunt through a couple days of decent rainfall (I was worried then, but everyone would have been regardless of powder choice).
Just my 0.02 worth.
Walk

Not taken the wrong way at all! Lots of people Use, and Swear by Pyrodex. A MAJOR Key to Success in this Hobby for me is Having CONFIDENCE in my Gear, Without it i am Beat before i step outside. I personally have ZERO Confidence in ANY of the Substitute Powders, That’s including BH209, I use what has Worked FLAWLESS for me from my Beginning in Muzzleloading, and that’s Swiss Real Blackpowder, I have 100% Confident in it, That alone is PRICELESS. If something fails for me, and i feel that i have given it a Fair Shake, I give up on it and NEVER Look Back

I could put this New Lehigh Nipple Through a Speeded up Durability test :) My 1:15 Twist, 32” inch, 9MM Muzzleloader Barrel with 340 Grain Bullet will Test it’s Metal in a HURRY!! I had to go to Platinum Lined with it, The Platinum lined shows no sign of wear

Check this out for Nipple Wear, Brand New Treso on the Left at .028, and what they look like on the Right after 12-15 Shots Through this 9MM. I would like to talk to someone that Actually Shot one of Doc White’s 1:15 Twist .361s they Won Manufacturers Match with Years ago, I bet those Guy’s Went Through some Breech Plugs :) And why you don’t hear about them being used today? My Barrel would be FAR Worse than Doc’s .361s due to mine being a little Smaller Bored at .357, and 32 inches long. LOTS of Pressure built up in these Small, FAST Twist Bores
qj9L78Om.jpg

Why not just buy one from Knight? Am I missing something here???

That 36cal or 40cal would be a good test for the Lehigh nipple. S7 tool steel is arguably better than A2 tool steel. Not sure how erosion would fit into the equation but its extremely impact resistant steel. I wonder if nitride S7 would work even better or if it would get too brittle?

Back