need a small funnel for reloading in the field

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjc155

Reaction score
Went to BH209 year for hunting and decided this year that for a "quick" reload I am gonna use tubes and a small funnel to avoid spilling powder when I reload. Figure after cranking off a round it might be alittle easier to hit the open end of a funnel instead of trying to get the powder out of the tube that is just slight smaller than the barrel.

Thinking this was a great Idea and that I could not have been the first to think of it, LOL, I headed off to Cabelas to look for such a funnel. No luck, went to acouple of different large sporting goods stores in the area and still no luck.

Does anyone have an idea where I can get a funnel that is small enough to fit in my pocket of my hunting coat but have a large enough "spout" to let the BH209 flow quickly into the barrel.

Any ideas? I have tried hardware stores etc looking for just a small funnel and have yet to find anything that would work.

Thanks in advance,
J-

Look in the Cooking Section of any store that carries this kind of stuff.

I have a small funnel I picked up at Mid South Shooters Supply many years back. It is about a perfect little funnel for my reloading needed. I use it because it fits tight over the open end of my pan flask for flintlocks, and then it fits over the muzzle of the .50 caliber for dumping.

The pouring opening is larger then most, for making powder slide through.

funnel.jpg

It works good for me.

I'd look in the cooking section of any well stocked store, next the reloading section at an outdoor retailer that sells supplies. I think a cooking section funnel would be the easiest bet. You may have to trim the funnel some to your liking.

copy thanks guys. I have hit harbor frieght, a couple of local auto stores and will check at a couple of resturant supply places.

Thanks
J-

RCBS makes a smokeless powder funnel system that should be exactly what your wanting/

here is what I came up with guys. By shear chance I was at a small sporting goods/tackle shop (getting ready for ice fishing already) and came across a T/C pour spout for a GoEX Black Power jug. The end fits perfet in the muzzle and the "funnel" end is big enough to act as a funnel but small enough to fit in a pocket. All I had to do was cut off the attached cab and it is good to go.

So then I used a short light wire leader and a pop riveted it to the funnel and attached the other end via swivel snap to a T/C tube and primer holder. Makes a pretty nicely sized package to hold, primers, bullets/sabots and powder all in one set up. SHould work out perfect for me.

Here is a pic.

Thanks

J-

DSC00132.jpg

You can locate and buy a brass one
I found a small brass one locally that had too small of a tube but I cut it off and soldered a piece of 7/8" copper tubing to it and also soldered a ring type crimp on electrical connector to the rim for a place to tie a lanyard. I'll get a picture when I get a chance. Whatever funnel you use, it is a good idea to secure a brightly colored lanyard to it which helps you not accidentally leave it in the bore. Don't ask me how I know.

I am not sure if there realistically is a problem with static electricity igniting the powder, but, you can buy a set of plastic funnels at Harbor Freight, for 99 cents. The smallest one works perfect.

Latest posts

Back