Need a spring

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tried out the whitetail .45 today and I'm missing the spring that holds the 209 in place. Where do I find one? After 15 plus years in the safe, it has its issues. We will get them worked out.

I had a 209 breech plug missing that spring. I made one from a piece cut out of a carburetor? spring and bent it(cold) to fit. Took a little trial and error to get it just right, and trimming the little hook end to get just the right amount of tension took about an hour.

IMG-1208.jpg

IMG-1209.jpg

Are these what you might be looking for?

Yes I'm sure they will work. Breech plug for the white is solid, but the spring is close to same if not the same. The tickler does the work.
Got an idea from other post , if it comes down to it, trip to the hardware store that has darn near anything and I sort through drawers.
But I would rather have the real McCoy or close to it.

I would personally, switch to percussion cap. No reason at all to use 209’s in a white.
Exactly! I had a 209 conversion for one of my Whites. Did not like it. Always thought it was a poor design. Read about others who had lots of spring issues. I believe percussion cap is the way to go with Whites. Never had a problem with ignition.

It came with the 209 setup. My main objective was to get a 451 white. I believe in managing to objectives.
At that time ( early 2000) I (.451 included) I had 1/2 dozen whites. Now down to two. People could not get them to shoot. Because they didn't try. The instant gratification crowd. Their loss my gain.

In normal times, I would consider the swap back and deal with the logistics. But the times aren't normal. I have one new tin of #11s and several tins of musket caps of the dumb down reenactment type. Not going to put my faith in these. I'm really good on 209s of several types. I have several containers of assorted primer caps of some vintage.
At the range.
1st shot lower right, bore sight, 2nd shot above it some adjustments (50 grs still) increased to 70 grs. next two 343 gr w wad. Seems to like that.
Tuned in the squirrel rifle for Saturday and came home.
Its now an old Mans rifle with Vortex strike eagle scope and rings. And leather butt pad and cheek piece.
Forgot the credits.
HP Gould bullets w wad
Thanks Ed

DSCN0766.JPGDSCN0769.JPG

Last edited:
Back