Need advice on new inline rifle for hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H82MISS

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am new here, and want to get into muzzleloading and looking at modern inline rifle for whitetails, out to maybe 350 yds. Like I mentioned, I have never hunted with a muzzleloader before. I really would like one of the new inline rifles, but need to know what you would recommend, and what loads you now use. I was thinking of a rifle in the $600-$800 range?? Thank you again and I appreciate any help possible.
Rob in MO

If you've never hunted or shot muzzleloaders be best to stick to 150 yds and in unless you practice alot. Knight Mountaineer .45, CVA Paramount(very heavy) for longer range.. for intermediate range, Knight Ultralight, Knight Disc Extreme, CVA Accura, CVA Optima V2 and quiet a few others.
Do a search here on forum for each gun and loads will find a ton of info.. Welcome to the forum.

I have a Accura V2 LR, I shot my first deer with this gun @ 220 yards, I am impressed with this gun. Lately I have been doing a lot of reading on anything I can find on the cva paramount, could possibly be my next purchase.

Hello all,
I am new here, and want to get into muzzleloading and looking at modern inline rifle for whitetails, out to maybe 350 yds. Like I mentioned, I have never hunted with a muzzleloader before. I really would like one of the new inline rifles, but need to know what you would recommend, and what loads you now use. I was thinking of a rifle in the $600-$800 range?? Thank you again and I appreciate any help possible.
Rob in MO
hello. ive hunted for over 40 years in pa. never have i attempted or even knew a bradford county hunter who shot over 200 yds at a deer and most have never shot over 100 yds at a deer. where you hunting? the great plains?if youre shooting 350 yds , i'd personally leave the bp gun home and carry a 7 mm magnum or 06.but no one in pa would ever shoot a bp 350 yds at a deer. not sober anyway.lol

hello. ive hunted for over 40 years in pa. never have i attempted or even knew a bradford county hunter who shot over 200 yds at a deer and most have never shot over 100 yds at a deer. where you hunting? the great plains?if youre shooting 350 yds , i'd personally leave the bp gun home and carry a 7 mm magnum or 06.but no one in pa would ever shoot a bp 350 yds at a deer. not sober anyway.lol
Finding folks that shoot muzzle loaders in Bradford or any other county in PA (other than deer season) is hard . My cousin whom I hunt with lives there and most of the neighbors are rifle hunters including the non resident (flat landers) those that hunt the muzzle loader season like to hunt 1st ,2nd for sure like meat . I do not see alot of year round shooting required for long range shooting huntng or target (cousin included) as it is mostly center fire use I"m seeing but maybe Thompson ridge is to small a sample area ./Ed

For a long(er) range rifle, I'd look at a Knight 1:20 .45. Either Mountaineer or UL. Excellent rifles and they can be very accurate out at long ranges. 350 might be pushing the limit of effectiveness of a hunting rig without stepping up to a custom or smokeless, and doing a ton of practicing. 200-250 is probably very doable.

A Knight shooting 120grs VOLUME of BH209 and a 300gr XLD bullet and a muzzle velocity of 2100fps.
More than enough energy at 350yds.

Now......... Hunters who haven't sent a lot of rounds at 350yds or further, shouldn't be taking those hunting shots.
However there are shooters on this site that can make that distance and more.

Knight with 120grs volume and XLD.JPG

Hello all,
Rob in MO

In Mo you can use either 40 or 45 and both will offer "easier" down range performance than a 50cal. Knight has a couple 45s. CVA has a couple 45s and a soon to be released 40cal. Knight might also have a 40 coming soon but i doubt it will be less than $800.

A Knight Mountaineer 45 1-20 is quite capable of shooting a 300gr bullet sabotless at around 2100fps. They can be found for about $700-750 in bare primer.
https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product/mountaineer-shadow-gray-straight-stock-muzzleloader/

A Knight shooting 120grs VOLUME of BH209 and a 300gr XLD bullet and a muzzle velocity of 2100fps.
More than enough energy at 350yds.

Now......... Hunters who haven't sent a lot of rounds at 350yds or further, shouldn't be taking those hunting shots.
However there are shooters on this site that can make that distance and more.

View attachment 12430

'The recoil from 120gr of BH and it still drops 42" at 350yds. You better be good at figuring out what the wind is doing that far away.

Back