Need Guidance

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Persuader

Reaction score
I’m wanting to set up a Thompson Renegade with peep sights...I’m looking at the Lyman 57 SML. I don’t know how to match up a globe front sight. I’ve watched Idaho Lewis videos on you tube and really like the way his set up performs. Any help is appreciated.

If you are going to use it for target shooting the front sight IdahoLewis uses is what I would use. However, for hunting, I would use a Fiber Optic front sight. Depending on where you hunt open or dense woods, you may find either using a wide rear aperture or removing it so it's like a Ghost ring would be your best option.

Appreciate the reply’s. I hunted with the Renegade and Hawken many years ago but my sight is not what it Was back then. Thanks

I can't seem to put a picture up but muzzleloaders.com has a Williams fiber optic sight, front and rear for TC octogon barrel.
I think it is about 30 bucks.

I’m wanting to set up a Thompson Renegade with peep sights...I’m looking at the Lyman 57 SML. I don’t know how to match up a globe front sight. I’ve watched Idaho Lewis videos on you tube and really like the way his set up performs. Any help is appreciated.
Contact Lewis...he is great to deal with and knowledgeable.

Persuader, I use the Lyman 17 AHB Globe (.404 high) on all of my Hawken’s and Renegades, I personally don’t like the Higher AML, Simply because I don’t like giving up Peep Elevation, The AHB allows me to keep my Peep Bridge LOW. Something to keep in mind, The AHB requires a Low Cheek Weld, This is what works best for me :lewis:

Here is where my Peep Bridges typically Run when Zeroed at 100 Yards using the Lyman 17 AHB
BRYWlxTl.jpg

Another Example
VzfrxmAl.jpg

And another
EDdCT9Sl.jpg

Here is an Example of a Taller Globe. Again, I don’t personally like this, I Like my Peep Bridges LOW, I don’t like giving up this amount of Elevation.
bTUmqWCl.jpg

I put the AMI on mine because shooting the distances that you shoot Lewis, is not something Im probably ever going to do. I apologize Persuader. I didnt ask if you're shooting near or far.

No reason to apologize, you gave good advice :lewis: There’s nothing in the World Wrong with the 17 AML, I just showed what i prefer, and Why I prefer it. In my opinion it really comes down to Cheek Weld, like i said above the 17 AHB Requires you to get your Face down LOWER in the Stock, Some people like that (Myself being one) and Some Don’t like it. The 17 AML at .494 High allows you to get your Cheek up a Little Higher on the Stock. Both the 17 AHB & AML are proven to Work well Setup on a TC Renegade or Hawken with a Lyman 57 SML Or Williams FP Hawken Tang Peep.

He did say he wanted to setup like yours. Im putting a Pecatonica stock on mine and they say they have more drop so I think the aml will put me right where i want to be.

With more drop to the Comb, You will definitely be better off (Safer) with the 17 AML Globe :lewis:

When will you have that Pecatonica Stock? I am really interested in seeing it, I hope it works out well for ya

With more drop to the Comb, You will definitely be better off (Safer) with the 17 AML Globe :lewis:

When will you have that Pecatonica Stock? I am really interested in seeing it, I hope it works out well for ya
Lewis,
As always, you always bring a wealth of information and knowledge to these forums. Thank you for sharing.
Your Friend/brother,
ML48

Latest posts

Back