Need help 4473 and not accepting a online ordered firearm.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
As some of you may know my experience with Cabela's has been less than stellar.

I will get to the point and please excuse my recent turbo posting.

I ordered a long gun from Cabela's web site to ship to store. When it finally showed I drove there to fill out a 4473.

I was delayed and called weekly with the response that it was still delayed. It was only until I asked to cancel the sale that said I have a proceed.

Here is my concern there is a 4473 that was approved with my name and the serial number of the rifle.

If I cancel what assurances do I have that said rifle will not be associated with me when Cabela's goes to sell it? Will the authorities know that I never picked it up and refused. In the unlikely event the new owner does something criminal.

It has me a bit worried so much so that I am STRONGLY considering saying to beans with the 200 bucks and just picking it up.

After all it's only $200 my piece of mind is worth it. If there's even the slightest bit of inkling that that firearm with that serial ever comes up with my name it's worth $200 to know that that firearm is in my possession not resold to somebody else.

Thanks again guys for that advice.

Until they submit the form that you've actually purchased the gun, it wont be tied to you. The feds will probably have records forever that you were going to buy it but never did. Thousands do that every year. Its no big deal.

Until they submit the form that you've actually purchased the gun, it wont be tied to you. The feds will probably have records forever that you were going to buy it but never did. Thousands do that every year. Its no big deal.

I ended up picking it up anyway.

I asked them what day the proceed came in. They lied again and said it was yesterday. When I tried to cancel the at the time I wrote this post they told me that I was approved for proceed at that time.

I will never do business with a dishonest company such as Cabela's again. Because basically they lied once and that's enough for me.

The way I feel the first time you lie to me I can't tell if the rest of it is in a truth or dishonest and I don't want to spend the time to try to decipher between the two.

Edit
Correction the date of this posting was not the actual date when I was told that I had the proceed initially.

if I could easily contact the agency that was responsible for the nics check I'd be very interested in when I was actually approved.

I have a friend who has an ffl and he told me that when they put a hold on a buyer (he does these over the phone) if he doesn't hear back from them (BATF) within 3 days to proceed with the sale. He also has told me with a couple it has been an absolutely do not sell to them. Just a fyi.

I have a friend who has an ffl and he told me that when they put a hold on a buyer (he does these over the phone) if he doesn't hear back from them (BATF) within 3 days to proceed with the sale. He also has told me with a couple it has been an absolutely do not sell to them. Just a fyi.

One way to receive a instant deny is to apply with an address that has a registered felon living there. Even if you have no criminal history.

In my case it is always delay then proceeded. I do have some special circumstances that have warranted a delay.

It was extremely helpful the first time that I purchased from an FFL that would not transfer the firearm after 3 days. The very first time I was delayed for some time with a definite proceed. although some will complete the transfer without hearing from them within 3 days like you said.

Now I know for certain as far as they're concerned there's no issue it just takes them a while to respond with the proceed. In other words when I buy a firearm now and the FFL does decide to transfer it within 3 days or my case within a week I know I'm clear and they will eventually get a proceed response. Rather than ultimately receiving a deny and having release the firearm to my name.

The good news is that most of my needs are now covered 100%. Which means that I'm going to slow down on the firearms buying. Interestingly looking at the my choice of firearms, I would be definitely referred to as a fudd according to the firearms community and like Paul Harrell says I'm okay with that.

Last edited:
Ok I now have BOTH mark 2's. Heavy barrel with scope and sporter barrel with iron sights (I added scope and mount to these).

Looking forward to shooting them.

Has anyone had experience with off-site storage? I am a bit nervous as I live in a crappy neighborhood.

One option is leaving at my buddies house. Another is using a pawn shop (I trust that less). I don't mind a safe if it is heavy enough. but the safe also presents its problems like if I ever move out of this neighborhood into a nicer one I'd like to be able to take it with me.

I even considered contacting the Michigan State Police to see what options they might have. I read somewhere a safe deposit box for handguns held at a bank but that seems completely asinine. I seriously doubt any Bank in the right mind would allow the storage of firearm.

If you look online there is one company that has four locations on the East coast that does specific firearm storage in climate controlled conditions.

I don't mind spending 6 to $800 on a safe if it means that they can't just pick it up and lift it out of the house.

In the meantime I don't carry my long arms out in the traditional rifle bag to minimize exposure.

eventually I'll post a report on both the Sporter barrel and the heavy barrel on the mark 2's. I also like to thank everyone for responding I appreciate it.

The 3 day option is strictly voluntary. The FFL may proceed but does not have to. Also, there are new rules that will take effect in August. Further, there are 2 forms of the 4473 -- paper and computer. The paper 4473 is not sent in to the FEDS unless the FFL closes up shop then all records are sent in. The computer version, which BATFE is pushing, gives the info to the FEDS the day it is filled out. The paper 4473 that was filled out will be kept in FFL's records even if you do not go through with the sale. Reason? -- When/if BATFE agents come to review FFL's records, they require a 4473 for EACH NICS check that was ever performed.
For more info regards the upcoming changes look up:

"Final Rule 2021R-05F"​

Personally, I would use "Duck, Duck Go" since they do not track everything I do online like Google does....

Last edited:
We always transfer after the 3 day wait period on a delay. I have seen everything from a delay not being updated until the 4473 times out of the system after a month to a call from the ATF asking if we transferred after the 4473 timed out of the system because the final verdict was a deny.

I have helped a few people in their 40's and older who were denied due a MIP decades earlier. If a state does not keep accurate records, the NICS system cannot provide an accurate response. The system works, but it does not work well. On the brighter side, it works very well for a government program.

Helping someone generally means pointing them in the right direction, and storing a firearm until the problem is cleared up. Most people denied know exactly why they were denied. I know of one individual who kept hitting shops until he was delayed rather than denied. He packed the gun home after 3 days and was pretty smug until the ATF showed up on his doorstep. He told the agent he had given the gun away as a present, and he was told that either he or the gun were leaving with the agent. He retrieved the 10/22 from his bedroom closet and handed it over.

We always transfer after the 3 day wait period on a delay. I have seen everything from a delay not being updated until the 4473 times out of the system after a month to a call from the ATF asking if we transferred after the 4473 timed out of the system because the final verdict was a deny.

I have helped a few people in their 40's and older who were denied due a MIP decades earlier. If a state does not keep accurate records, the NICS system cannot provide an accurate response. The system works, but it does not work well. On the brighter side, it works very well for a government program.

Helping someone generally means pointing them in the right direction, and storing a firearm until the problem is cleared up. Most people denied know exactly why they were denied. I know of one individual who kept hitting shops until he was delayed rather than denied. He packed the gun home after 3 days and was pretty smug until the ATF showed up on his doorstep. He told the agent he had given the gun away as a present, and he was told that either he or the gun were leaving with the agent. He retrieved the 10/22 from his bedroom closet and handed it over.
Transfer after a 3 day wait is your choice...as I said, it is optional. Some people are under impression that not getting a denial after a 3 day delay is automatic proceed. It is not

When I managed a gun store,That 4437 would be placed into a separate file folder that had denied and canceled transactions. When ATF did there inspection they these were checked like standard 4473.

Ok I now have BOTH mark 2's. Heavy barrel with scope and sporter barrel with iron sights (I added scope and mount to these).

Looking forward to shooting them.

Has anyone had experience with off-site storage? I am a bit nervous as I live in a crappy neighborhood.

One option is leaving at my buddies house. Another is using a pawn shop (I trust that less). I don't mind a safe if it is heavy enough. but the safe also presents its problems like if I ever move out of this neighborhood into a nicer one I'd like to be able to take it with me.

I even considered contacting the Michigan State Police to see what options they might have. I read somewhere a safe deposit box for handguns held at a bank but that seems completely asinine. I seriously doubt any Bank in the right mind would allow the storage of firearm.

If you look online there is one company that has four locations on the East coast that does specific firearm storage in climate controlled conditions.

I don't mind spending 6 to $800 on a safe if it means that they can't just pick it up and lift it out of the house.

In the meantime I don't carry my long arms out in the traditional rifle bag to minimize exposure.

eventually I'll post a report on both the Sporter barrel and the heavy barrel on the mark 2's. I also like to thank everyone for responding I appreciate it.
Just buy a safe

I transferred thousands of firearms per year for over 12 years. I think I know how the system works.
No doubt...not arguing with you. Several here have said that transfer is automatic after 3 days of a delay...I merely pointed out it is not automatic. You choose to be essentially "automatic"...and again your choice. Pointing out to those who do NOT know how the system works

Back