Need help finding a hunting flintlock setup

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m a 15 year old boy who’s trying to get into the world of flintlock hunting to extend the notoriously strict Pennsylvania deer season. There seems to be quite a lot to know and not a lot of information for beginners to start. I’m only 111 lbs and 5 foot 5. I therefore want to have a relatively light weight gun with more modern specs and to use a light charge, however I’m not sure what deems a charge as light, it seems like ninety grains or less? Also, the main gun I’m looking at is a traditions pa pellet ultralight for its modern specs such as a removable breach plug. However, some people really seem to hate traditions. I would like to keep the cost under $555 if possible but budget isn’t a super big deal. Additionally, what kind of ammo should I use? I’ve already ruled out the conical and round ball, but am I too quick to do so? I’ve heard great things about Barnes sabots, but I’m not sure which one within their line to get. What kind of grain bullet should I get? Are Powerbelts better? Also, I’d like to be able to ram the bullets in by myself so an easier loading bullet would definitely be something I would factor in. Lastly, what powder will I need for the pan? If there is anything else you would like to add such as tips for shooting etc feel free to add on. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Ethan Rubin

Im not aware of any flintlock as light as the Traditions that also has a fast twist barrel. That twist is for conicals and sabots. Only really light loads will work well with round balls.

You usually want 4FG for pan powder and either 2FG or 3FG in the bore. Some people get by using 3FG in the pan also but its not recommended.

Im not aware of any flintlock as light as the Traditions that also has a fast twist barrel. That twist is for conicals and sabots. Only really light loads will work well with round balls.

You usually want 4FG for pan powder and either 2FG or 3FG in the bore. Some people get by using 3FG in the pan also but its not recommended.
So you’re saying that the traditions is a good idea for my needs? I’m also looking at the Lyman Great Plains hunter and Lyman deerstalker do you have any insight of any of these three rifles?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back