Need help please

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tye

Reaction score
I’m shooting a .50 cal renegade with a rice fast twist I’m trying to figure out load development and could use some help. I bought I sample pack of bullets from no excuses bullets I can’t get very good groups. I am new to bullets but have used round balls a lot any advice of bullets or what I should be doing would be very much appreciated

I’m shooting a .50 cal renegade with a rice fast twist I’m trying to figure out load development and could use some help. I bought I sample pack of bullets from no excuses bullets I can’t get very good groups. I am new to bullets but have used round balls a lot any advice of bullets or what I should be doing would be very much appreciated
I"m not sure of that bullet but every bullet I shoot benefits from a felt wad protecting the base (dry /oiled) is up to your barrel, paper patched or greaser ./Ed

You know, I just recently bought some to try out in my CVA Optima V2 pistol.
I like that stuff. Except for the dreaded crud ring.
I setup my pistol with the northwest breech plug conversion kit to be able to use musket caps and still get the crud ring after about 4 shots.
I read that when using # 11 percussion caps the ring doesn't develop. Haven't tried it yet in any of my sidelocks to know.

You should try both 2F and 3F. Some rifles seem to prefer one over the other. In my 45 cal White ML's shooting between350 - 465grs, I never felt the need to go over 80gr of powder regardless of 2F or 3F.

I get great results with the Powerbelt bullets out of my stock TC barrels but only if I wipe between shots using Goex 2f 80 grns. I think they're the 295 grn PB's.

As I recall Idaholewis's posts regarding No Excuses bullets, and his Rice & Green Mountain fast twist barrels, he wasn't particularly impressed with them as he felt that there was too great of a weight difference between the 50 bullets in a box.

I do know from reading hundreds of his posts, that the KEY to eeking out maximum accuracy in either of those brands of barrels, is finding the sweet spot in bullet diameter that will obtain the accuracy you desire for the type of shooting that you want to do.

And, I further know, that the kind of accuracy that Idaholewis strives for seldom seems to come from factory bullets. The question that you have to ask yourself, is "Just how accurate do I want this new .50 caliber, Fast Twist, Rice barrel to be?"

Is the rate of twist that you ordered sufficient to stabilize big lead so you can shoot out to 500-1200 yards? With a globe front sight, and a vernier tang long range rear sight? Or, do you just want a super accurate hunting rifle, that if equipped with a decent recoil pad, and a modern scope, will kill anything on earth with huge lead?

A Hankins, or Swinglock, super accurate, super adjustable, sizing die is probably going to be necessary to get the accuracy you want.

Lewis has it dialed period. He didn't obsess only about bullets being within a 1/10 of a grain of each other, but bullet diameter, paper thickness used on those wrapped and lubricant, but he's meticulous in absolute repetition in between shot swabbing and after-shoot cleaning. He uses one powder and weighs his charges and I also believe he uses one brand and power of cap.

Lewis is a great educator for those who want to get the best from their sidelocks. Honestly there are several great educators here on this sight. I just wish he'd come back as I always enjoyed his writing and experiences. As far as I am concerned every one of us here should simply stop feeding You Tube by not watching any more of the videos they host. What they've done to the shooting communities is not political but rather a sense of conforming to this ideology of political correctness that's being jammed down all of our throats. Every friggin war we have fought as a country was done so using firearms, starting with flintlocks then percussion and so on. To ban mention of these arms is banning history.

I'll add to what Mr. Tom said in that I have yet to get into casting, sizing, and shooting lead bullets; but that's the next thing on my list of things to do when the Optima V2 pistol comes off Doc White's bench with its new stocks, and is back in my hands.

That's the primary reason I have spent so much time on this site, reading posts & asking questions. In the sidelock, inline, and smokeless sections of the forum. There is a wealth of information to be had here, freely given.

Idaholewis, ENCORE50A, Mr. Tom, eekjellander, edmelhig, deermanok, and so, so, so many others, too many to mention; all willingly give of their experience & expertise to help someone less knowledgeable.

I have recently went to Bullshop in dell Montana I bought some nassa lube and 50 of each type of bullets for .50 cal he makes I received them today and I am very happy with the quality of his bullets very sharp bases and no imperfections I have yet to weigh them but the quality he makes for the price is very good

Back