Need help working up first loads…

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKasprzak

Reaction score
A friend just purchased a Traditions Pursuit G4 as his first ML. He has asked that I help him sight it in, I have many years of experience with my TC Hawken and Traditions Trapper so muzzleloading is not new to me. The inlines though are somewhat new to me. I have an older Pursuit Pro that I have worked up the loads for using No Excuses bullets and black powder (Goex 2F). So I understand the concept of grouping etc. as part of the new gun process. What I’m looking for are recommendations on sabots for this gun. Not sure yet if he wants to use black power and full bores conicals or sabots but I would like to be able to give him the options. Thanks in advance… DK

I don’t think you can go wrong with the 240gn Hornady XTP with Harvester crush rib sabot (green). I’d start at 80gn volume of Triple Seven and work my way up in powder by 5 or so grains until I got what I wanted. Pretty common deer load for a lot of people. Just all depends on what animal he’s going to be pursuing. If it’s elk, would want something heavier.

@Fullbore92 Thanks so much for the response! He does plan to hunt whitetail with this gun. Your answer raised a couple more questions. Is Triple 7 measured by volume using the same type of powder measure used for black powder? And if not too difficult what are differences between the various colors of sabots?

Yes, volumetric measurers are used with any black powder or black powder substitute (Pyrodex, 777, BH209, etc).

Green sabots (by MMP or Harvester) are made for use in .50 muzzleloaders with .44 (.429-.430”) bullets and the blacks are for use in a .50 with .45 (.451-.452”) bullets. Orange are used for .458” bullets in a .50.

I don’t think you can go wrong with the 240gn Hornady XTP with Harvester crush rib sabot (green). I’d start at 80gn volume of Triple Seven and work my way up in powder by 5 or so grains until I got what I wanted. Pretty common deer load for a lot of people. Just all depends on what animal he’s going to be pursuing. If it’s elk, would want something heavier.

250 gr powerbelt eurolights. 100 gr white hots. There is no other combo. Sabots? Sloppy, hotdog down the hallway. Every new online should shoot 2in groups out to a 100. If it don't you not listening

Latest posts

Back